Oil City: Shergold pickup restoration 2. rebuild

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10369
Right .... that gungy old Shergold pickup is now ready to be rewound and re assembled
Exhibit a. 
a bobbin displaying all the signs of corrosion! Smells foul too!
measured the wire diameter by the tried and trusted method of taking ten turns around a screwdriver, then measuring the width of the 10 turns with a digital vernier ... and dividing by 10! This wire was so corroded and nasty that I ended up taking 20 turns around to get an accurate average!
with .056mm chosen, the old wire was stripped off to reveal a curious and very, very delicate 'cut and shut' bobbin.
 Seems to have been made by sawing down a much taller bobbin and gluing it with something resembling model aircraft glue.
I had to reinforce it with fillets of superglue and make a cradle so that it wouldn't fall apart in the winding machine!
Mounted in 'Tweedle Dee' the winding machine

Continued shortly ....
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10369
    tFB Trader
    And a rewound bobbin ...
    This bobbin was then put aside with it's mate after being taped up and with a small amount of oil based lacquer used on the wire to try and kill microphonics ... the bobbins were simply too delicate for wax dipping.
    Next step was to replace the pretty much dead magnet.
    No replacements are available of the size and mass of the originals (though I shall be working on getting some made for other Shergold owners in a similar position) so we used some of a much shallower profile but a stronger and more stable material. This required spacers to take up the extra room in the magnet carrier.
    The open ends of the magnet and shims were then filled with hot melt glue to again help prevent squeal ... before the bobbins were replaced on to the magnet carrier.
    The issue now was that all the corrosion in the pole keeper bars had left the pole screws loose, sure to vibrate and squeal under gain, so I used the old dodge of blowing a tiny amount of superglue onto the female threads and letting it dry ... this packs them enough to tighten the pole screws a bit on the thread :-)

More in a mo ....
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Pole screws in ... and mounted back on the plastic base. now to clean up the output tag strip a bit ... I hate untidy old solder blobs hanging about.
    Even the way the output is handled on this little brute is over engineered to heck.
    Even the way the bolts that hold cover and base together are a mini work of art ... tapped down the centre for the height adjustment screws ... brilliant and charming in an old school way.

And so restoration complete ... the Shergold pickup lives to gig again another day. I have nothing but admiration for the British engineers who built this pickup. With practically nothing off the shelves available in the way of parts, they created a beautifully made and original sounding pickup pretty much from scratch.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    And it's back in its original home!

Ash has done an incredible job on a practically irreplaceable pickup. It sounds exactly 'right' - just like a Shergold should - and its squeal free!!

I'm so grateful and impressed.

Thanks, Ash!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    Nice work.
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    Nice work.
    That's a serious compliment coming from you geezer!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    impmann said:
    And it's back in its original home!

Ash has done an incredible job on a practically irreplaceable pickup. It sounds exactly 'right' - just like a Shergold should - and its squeal free!!

I'm so grateful and impressed.

Thanks, Ash!!
    Delighted the pickup is back in service ... such a lovely bit of old British design deserves to be cherished for lots of years to come.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    Nice work.

Give over! :)

Your repair threads are always fascinating, but this one goes above and beyond. I can't imagine doing this kind of thing makes much financial sense, but it's great to see what can be saved.

• Good lord, what a fascinating thread! I forget that everything was us made once and spares were a rarity...
    tFB Trader
    martinw said:
    martinw said:
    Nice work.

Your repair threads are always fascinating, but this one goes above and beyond. I can't imagine doing this kind of thing makes much financial sense, but it's great to see what can be saved.

It is not at all profitable in the financial sense ... but in the research and development sense it is priceless. Pulling old kit apart and finding out what makes it sound the way it does is as relevant for a pickup maker as an amp maker :-)
    We as winders are at a disadvantage in that people never thought to note down any values or measurements when they built classic pickups ... amp designers, I think, were perhaps more practical!
    So much of what I learn feeds into new products that I consider it time well spent ... I am an obscessive note taker.

• great work!!

I cant wait to check the out in the flesh next time I a over Tim's gaff
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    That's a really thoughtful, thorough job you've done there.

Someone I know will be in touch shortly about another interesting 1970s pickup, if they haven't been already! A Kramer humbucker sadly killed by the stupidity of a former owner or "repairer" taking out the bobbin mounting screws, so the coils have rattled around and broken their wires.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    They've been in touch ... it's in my workshop ... and being sorted ... pics to follow

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Excellent. I have no idea why the bobbin screws were taken out - and they must have been, they couldn't have worked loose by themselves and they weren't in the guitar cavity - because the casing rivets were still in place when I looked at it so it obviously hadn't been fully dismantled. Maybe they thought that was how you take the cover off... I don't know.

It's great to have someone here in the UK who really cares about these old less conventional designs and wants to fix them properly, instead of just ripping them out and fitting something standard/ordinary.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    My penance for all the pickups I ripped out and fitted Super Distortions in the 1970s! 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    martinw said:
    martinw said:
    Nice work.

It is not at all profitable in the financial sense ... but in the research and development sense it is priceless. Pulling old kit apart and finding out what makes it sound the way it does is as relevant for a pickup maker as an amp maker :-)
    We as winders are at a disadvantage in that people never thought to note down any values or measurements when they built classic pickups ... amp designers, I think, were perhaps more practical!
    So much of what I learn feeds into new products that I consider it time well spent ... I am an obscessive note taker.
    It's also good to be able to restore and old piece of gear without hacking it up by installing the wrong pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom