NPD x 4 - EQD, Fulltone, MXR

samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
So i bought 4 pedals on a recent US trip...2 that people all know about, the OCD and FatBoost...so wont bore people with those.

the other 2, EQD Hummingbird and MXR Super Badass Distortion.

Hummingbird - i don't think its strictly a trem pedal, as i compared it to a few trem pedals and something about it was different...in a good way. Its sounds a lot choppier than a regular trem pedal and you may have to play with the knobs for a little while before you find the settings you like, i had to roll of the intensity to take out some of the harshness, but for the right context its really nice, and because it is a little different you get a character that is all its own. Plus it has a mode switch which allows you to use the rate at two different levels...mode one gives you a wide range on slower rates, and mode two gives you the range on faster rates.

If you want a tremelo pedal that's a little different for everything else out there, this is really nice and very versatile.

MXR Super Badass - I was immediately surprised at how amp like the distortion sounded. I wouldnt say this is for the kind of scooped metal tones, although the Mid knob does have a lot of range on it. With everything on 12 o'clock it sounds great, but its a bloody loud pedal. I basically run the gain at 3 o'clock with the volume at 9 o'clock to get close to unity between clean and dirty. The eq knobs are really good and to be honest the best tones are close to 12 o'clock...i like the fact that the pedal just sounds great without tweaking!

I have been trying to work out what other pedal I've had that's similar to it, and i cant really think of one...i really think it sounds closer to dirty channel on my amps...for example on the lower gain side it sounds like my Orange Rocker 30. The more you turn the gain up the more growl obviously, but it doesn't have that fizz quality that i really dislike in some pedals (eg MXR fullbore metal).

It has a really great rock sound and even early metal sound...It has great thick distortion sound and I use it for stoner type metal when i need the gain to be a little tighter than what a fuzz pedal can give me.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom