I've done gone got me a gig - I've been rebooked!

What's Hot

Comments

• DominicDominic Frets: 16006
    MAMMA told me not to come
    ( won't tax your singing skills - the verse is a picked dom 7 chord so no clunky rythmn -easy to transpose /modulate
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I'll give it a try. I mean, if Tom Jones can do it, it can't be that hard right ;)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    edited November 2015
    Jack Judge ( I had to look his name up but I knew the story) who wrote It's a Long Long Way to Tipperary.  
    Isn't there actually quite compelling evidence that he didn't write it? So the Jack Judge Library in Oldbury is in fact named after a man who didn't write a song
  • thecolourbox;861982" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Jack Judge ( I had to look his name up but I knew the story) who wrote It's a Long Long Way to Tipperary.  

Isn't there actually quite compelling evidence that he didn't write it? So the Jack Judge Library in Oldbury is in fact named after a man who didn't write a song
    Ahh, I didn't know that. Better not sing it then if it's going to be controversial!
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • He actually wrote the song in Stalybridge though. We've got a bar called Judge's to prove it!
    edited November 2015
    We have a library, doesn't mean he actually wrote it ;)
  • badlydrawnbanjo;864230" said:
    He actually wrote the song in Stalybridge though. We've got a bar called Judge's to prove it!
    And a statue of Judge with a soldier I think? :-?
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited November 2015
    Hendrix-New rising sun
    Kinks-Village green preservation..
    Beatles-Mean Mr Mustard
    George Harrison-My Sweet Lord
    T.Rex-Ride a white swan/Raw Ramp/Debora
    .....well i reckon most upbeat T.rex is good as live covers,and would likely get the library crowd going!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16006
    @thecolourbox..........re Mama told me /Tom Jones
    - I do get the humour but ,in fact,all the verses are semi-spoken...........so not quite that challenging
    As it happens the guy from Stereophonics sang it as well as TJ if not better -he has a great voice
  • Dominic;864472" said:
    @thecolourbox..........re Mama told me /Tom Jones- I do get the humour but ,in fact,all the verses are semi-spoken...........so not quite that challengingAs it happens the guy from Stereophonics sang it as well as TJ if not better -he has a great voice
    Oh yes I know, is a great song, although I talk a little bit posh so the talky bits sounded a bit wood according to my other half. Also G us not a good key for me so I'd have to keep transposing it until it raced one I could do. I don't have much vocal range :)

Is this too depressing:

• Well well well, following a thread about Adele in the music section, and somebody mentioned Laura Marling, it got me thinking of a mix of the two, in particular Someone Like You. I moved it from whatever key it's in to D, my vocal key, and bugger me I could actually sing it if I stood up and breathed properly. I tested it on the girlfriend and she seemed impressed, possibly though because I was kind of making the words up as I was going for the verses (I heard, that you were a bird, and you found a nerd, and youre in a herd etc etc). With a bit of learning that could be a winner.

Looking at having a bass drum beat after the first verse and chorus

So far it's looking like this:

Blowing in the Wind w/ harmonica
    Bang bang (Nancy version) with a verse from Riders on the storm instead of the bridge, Girl you gotta love your man etc)
    Champagne Supernova
    Someone Like You
    Red House (or alternative Hendrixy chilled blues, with backing drums and bass I think) to give the voice a rest but do a bit of guitaring.
    My own song to end, with the back track I did for the fretboard challenge.

Then have Sunny Afternoon, American Tune, and Dear Prudence as back ups
    edited December 2015
    Lucky poos required as the mini gig is tonight, it turns out it definitely is just me and a charming group called Ukelele Union. They are doing a bit to start with, them I've got 30 mins (keeps increasing!!!) Then they are finishing with a bit more of their usual act then Christmas songs. I'm looking forward to it now that the guitar has been sufficiently fixed for the neck pickup to work, and the few wav files of drum loops I need have been copied across to the looper. So unless somebody within my vocal range dies today and I an able to add an impromptu song of theirs in to be "topical" the stylist is looking like this (has changed a few times due to various practicalities, usually my ability to sing or play them Haha):

Last Nite (Strokes), have gone a bit reggae ish on this one, and instead of the solo I've mixed in a bit of Blondie's heart of glass for a bit of contrast. Using a basic two bar drum loop

Bang Bang/Riders on the Storm (Nancy Sinatra/Doors). So a straight cover of Bang Bang as my new amp has a lovely tremolo, then instead of the middle break bit, I've slipped in a bit of the solos from Riders on the Storm, then the "girl you gotta love your man" verse before going back to band band afterwards.

Someone Like you (Adele) - I'm still surprised this one works, but it does. Verse two and chorus has a lumineers style foot stamp on the beat drum loop

Champagne Supernova (oasis) mad fer it arr kid

Santa Claus is back in town ( Elvis). In the style of Hendrix's Red House. If you can't beat em join em

Hallelujah (Buckley) wave your lighters at the back

Then finishing on my own song from the fretboard challenge with full back track

Everything is crossed :)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • So it happened this evening, went reasonably alright, I enjoyed it, some lovely feedback from the audience afterwards. The amp sounded great but sadly there was no monitor so the looper I'd taken with backing drum loops on wasn't used as I couldnt really hear it properly. That also meant I had to impromptu rearrange my own song to finish, to do it without backing (changed the style to be more strummed)

A few lessons learnt, I found it really hard to look up at the audience so was a but conscious of that in general. Also I felt I need to improve my confidence and conviction of playing not to rush things, and to have faith that the pauses and tempo pulling I've been practising for weeks is good and sounds "right".

Also I need to start practising standing up, I did sound check stood up and couldn't play some bits, so I sat down for the set instead but will have to stage next time so as to breathe properly.

Thanks for all the help guys

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good luck .

Oh, bit late.
    :)

Well done. Glad it went ok despite the hiccups.

Something I do with drum loops on my looper is to 'pre-eq' them with an 'inverted 12" speaker' response curve (kind of like speaker emulation in reverse) - they then sound pretty good through a clean guitar amp (less so if the amp is overdriven, of course).
  • Our gig tonight was a bit dismal, would have been more fun coming to see you in Oldbury! Glad it went well. :)
  • Thanks chaps. I think if I were looking to do this more in the future which I do fancy trying to, I might look into some kind of vocal amp of my own so I'm not reliant on other people's PA, I could just pitch up with a guitar amp and my own pa amp which both the vocals and looper could go through, I think that would be worthwhile IF I keep on with it

We shall see :)
    So, I've been rebooked again! I'm doing my solo slot again on Friday 15th April at the library. I was genuinely flattered that the feedback from the attendees resulted in them asking me to perform again! I did the last one they had too in March but that was just accompanying my dad with a selection of jazz tunes, on piano that time which confused the chap who runs it a bit.

So, the difficult second album! I've been asked to ensure Bang Bang is in there again which is cool, I'll do a couple of the same songs but I'm as yet undecided which new songs to add in. I've not been able to practise at any volume of late because my good lady has been studying, so whilst I'd worked out a few guitar accompaniments through headphones, now I've been able to sing them out loud they don't really work! I'm sure I'll work it out though

But if anybody is local and does fancy supporting their local library, it now costs a few quid to get in but it's a nice little event
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    How did it go matey?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

It was ok thank you, very kind of you to ask. I don't think it went as well as last time but there were a couple of reasons for that. Firstly, I've not been able to practice out loud at home much of late as my girlfriend has needed peace and quiet at home for her accountancy exams. My guitaring was fine as I could practice with headphones, but the singing wasn't as strong because my relative pitch ability hadn't had the chance to practise its accuracy as much. I got there eventually

Secondly, the act who played before me played my intended opening song midset so I had to frantically think what else I could start with. "Ahh I know, I'll do Albatross, that's a nice comfortable one to get me in the zone" I thought to myself. Then they only went and played that song next!

I also forgot to put the words to Are Friends Electric in front of me

The events are usually in a cycle of three, then they have a break of a couple of months so I don't know if/when I'll be booked again

My setlist in the end was:

Champagne supernova
    Adele's Someone Like You
    Bang Bang/Riders on the storm - 
    Stevie Wonder's You are the sunshine of my life - 
    Great High mountain, which was a Jack White song off the film Cold Mountain. Capo'd the guitar on the 11th fret, to get a pseudo electric mandolin type sound. Pleasantly surprised it worked
    Hallelujah
    Are Friends Electric
    Then my own song "If" mixed with Dink's Song, which I think is originally Dylan but I know the Buckley version.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Ahh, missed that, hadn't seen your post. I'd have still done Albatross, unless you thought they absolutely nailed it.