sorted

voxmanjohnvoxmanjohn Frets: 75
edited January 2014 in FX
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Hotcake is a bit grittier and works nicer with Voxy amps. The OCD works a bit nicer into a Feder for a smoother sound
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    They are completely different beasts. 

The Hot Cake is a great fat clean boost which then becomes a lovely chimey/tweedy low gain overdrive then becomes a slightly odd blobby splattery fuzz at high gain. It also has a bit of a magic buffer. It is the classic Vox OD, but the Bluesberry mode works well with Fenders. 

The OCD is a medium gain classic rock overdrive/distortion which gives a 70's rock sort of a flavour and is much smoother with much more "ampy" gain. 

Both are good, but it depends what you want to do with it.
  • Thanks for the info both of you.

Think the ocd seems more versatile out of the two
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17581
    tFB Trader
    That's probably fair. 

The Hotcake is one of those genuinely unique pedals which people either love or loathe. I initially hated the one I had then grew to like it having already agreed to sell it!

Of the Fulltone stuff I've had (FDII, OCD, GT500) the Plimsoul has been the one that wowed me. It's very smooth and mid boosted though. 

What sort of sounds are you going for?
  • The Hotcake takes some getting used to but it's worth the effort. I prefer the Bluesberry version but some of the newer ones have an internal switch to change between the two. Or go balls deep and get the double Hotcake which has one of each in one box with a third sound when both are engaged. It's friggin amazing, anything from clean boost to thick creamy fuzz and all points between in one stomp.
  • The OCD is far less particular than the Hot Cake.  I've achieved some of my favourite tones from the Hot Cake and other times I've wanted to burn it with fire.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • It does seem that the hot cake is one of those pedals you got to play with a little too much to get your sound out of it... I think OCD it is!
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    edited November 2013
    I had a hot cake and thought it was decidedly average. Had a OCD and loved it for a few years but then sold it as it wasn't quite gainy enough for some of the stuff I do. Had a plimsoul as well which I liked a lot but then got bored with it. Also had the full drive which was a bit average IMO.. Now have and am selling the gt500 which is quite nice. Not really sure why I'm selling it but think its cos I'm not really a fulltone man.. So er probably that wasn't much help, but personally I wouldn't bother with either of them and would go for something more interesting. Barber, T. rex and a host of other companies do much better drive pedals than fulltone in my opinion. I probably won't buy another fulltone.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    Never used a hotcake but common consensus on the web is that they are a great compliment for a vox amp. I do however use a V4 OCD with my vox for black keys sorta riffs.