Changing pickups on Vintage Icon?

Got a Vintage Icon (Les Paul style) that I'd like to change the pickups on (eventually). Don't really like the stock Wilkinsons anymore...

Are these guitars routed for standard LP sized pups or are they different? I don't want to have to physically alter the body of the guitar in any way. I just want a straight swap out. I was thinking about putting the new Slash signature pickups in it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nah, they're standard (assuming your model has humbuckers and not P90's).  

If you'd like to get that sound without blowing the bank (Duncan pickups are really quite expensive/overpriced compared to UK boutique builders) you can get Irongear Tesla Sharks.  They're the same design.

Alternatively, Oil City (my fave - ash is a forum regular, @theguitarweasel) or Mojo would be able to wind you some that would probably come out a bit cheaper than the Duncan pickups, and you would be paying for the pickups, not the advertisement.  

Getting the Duncan pickups will likely mean better resale value if you decide ultimately to move them on and try something different, though, so take all of what I say in consideration with that! I can vouch for the Tesla Sharks, though, my mate put them in his Tremonti SE and they're fantastic, to my ears, they're identical to the Duncans but made in China/Korea. 
  • Interesting...

I'll consider your suggestions but I'm in Australia.

I've given consideration to Bare Knuckle too. There's a shop that stocks BK on the other side of town. I wouldn't be looking to part ways with the guitar (they're really hard to come by in Aus for one thing) 

Would it be wrong to bastardise it and put a P-94R in the neck and stick a Burstbucker in the bridge position? 
  • @Lukeage - check out forum here for pickups - guys selling sets all the time - you could get a good deal even if international shipping is in deal - also try USA ebayers too - I bought pickups from there in past and got them for half uk new price ..

Is import duty high in Australia - ? a friendly forumite might be prepared to mark them lower than tax threshold ? :-) 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    tFB Trader
    Postage is not that terrible to the ant-tippy-doodles I actually sell a fair few pickups to the land down under :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message