Fender Blacktop Telecaster Baritone GAS

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084

Now these sound just gorgeous.. I can feel the GAS kicking in.

If any of you guys are playing a baritone through a Fender amp I'd like to know how you get on with it.
My primary amps are a Blues Junior and a Bandmaster clone. I'd love to hear one through the latter's 3x10" speaker combination,

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really fancied one of those then read a bit about quality control being slack - which for the big companies is appalling.  I may still grab one if I find a good one in the flesh.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • danodano Frets: 1568
    edited November 2013
    I tried one about 12 months ago, sounded great and really nice feel on the neck. i had some great low end riffs going, but it wouldnt stay in tune ! the guy in the store reckoned he would change the for a thicker gauge but he never did when i popped in a few more times.
  • Not a Tele, but the Eastwood baritone with Jazzmaster bridge is amazing - and stays in tune amazing, even when giving the whammy hell.  

I think most guitars actually sound better when tuned lower though, so maybe that's why I love them.
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    That's definitely nice. I've wanted a baritone for ages and I love teles. I'd probably change the bridge pickup though.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    edited November 2013

I bought a new one when the came out

the bridge was in the wrong place, my luthier had to dismantle and alter the saddles to get it to intonate, it was 6mm off correct when delivered, and all strings were 11 cents or more off correct intonation. Fender did compensate me though

Other than that, the guitar is good except the pickups are very cheap. The bridge humbucker is not a great idea I think, unless you plan to play distorted, I think baritones need some crispness available

As I say everywhere, a 27 inch scale is too short to go down to B I think

I've replaced all the pickups now

I'd say buy a fixed-up one like mine if anyone is selling, or get a used USA tel and put a Warmoth 28 and 5/8 inch neck  on it.

Every see this btw:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZdOK68RMvo 

• ToneControl;84222" said:
    I bought a new one when the came outthe bridge was in the wrong place, my luthier had to dismantle and alter the saddles to get it to intonate, it was 6mm off correct when delivered, and all strings were 11 cents or more off correct intonation. Fender did compensate me thoughOther than that, the guitar is good except the pickups are very cheap. The bridge humbucker is not a great idea I think, unless you plan to play distorted, I think baritones need some crispness availableAs I say everywhere, a 27 inch scale is too short to go down to B I thinkI've replaced all the pickups nowI'd say buy a fixed-up one like mine if anyone is selling, or get a used USA tel and put a Warmoth 28 and 5/8 inch neck  on it.Every see this btw: 
    I actually find 25.5 inch is fine for a low b, but it takes heavy strings and it only really works for the slipknot, sludgy sound. Vintage baritone needs a single coil or p90 and enough scale for some serious twang.

I'd love to try a fan fret guitar...
  • There`s one of these Blacktop baritones exactly like first video in my local shop in Yeovil, can`t remember price sorry.
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    A guy I know has just put a evertune bridge on his. I nosw have raging, purple headed, throbbing viened gas...
    Jetfire said:
    A guy I know has just put a evertune bridge on his. I nosw have raging, purple headed, throbbing viened gas...
    Sounds a bit scary, can you get any ointment ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1687
    I think I need to see a vet or something, but thankyou for your concern :)

evertunes are on my list to acquire

cost a lot to retrofit though

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Lots of body-mass to remove as well with the evertunes.

a better baritone for the money (but unusual) is:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberger_guitars_synapse_transcale_st_2fpa_tb.htm

I have the sunburst one

28.5 inch scale. Can use with baritone strings A-A or B-B, or normal strings, tuned D-D

Pickups 1x EMG81 and 1x EMG 85 Humbucker, and Piezo

Master Volume, Mag/Piezo Blend, Master Tone Active Hi Cut/Boost, Active  Lo Cut/Boost

these are basically the kind of active bass treble controls you get on bass guitars, and I really miss them on my other baritones

with the piezo, you can dial a little "air" into the sound

This guitar is about 4 times more flexible and I doubt I would have bought the tele if I got the Steinberger first, but I haven't put baritone strings on it yet

http://www.steinberger.com/tech20080007.html

the movable capo, which doesn't knock the tuning out as you move it, is a very special feature, and when you get high up, rolling off the bass works well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeY8O-uiQG8

here's professor Ned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaXbjj0Ie2A

this video cracks me up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjRrkOcET4

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

this video cracks me up

Looks like they're pitching on the 'The Dragons Den' >:D< Thanks for the info.. I'd not heard of the Transcale before... and the price looks pretty descent... although I am a sucker for Telecasters.
    equalsql said:

this video cracks me up

Looks like they're pitching on the 'The Dragons Den' >:D< Thanks for the info.. I'd not heard of the Transcale before... and the price looks pretty descent... although I am a sucker for Telecasters.
    like I say, I have both the bari tele and the transcale, so ask if you need any further info
  • littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 639
    edited November 2013
    equalsql said:
    Don't do it! (I'm bidding on it)
    edit: Although just wondering, if you do bid on it, what's your limit? If it's higher than mine I wont go and push the price up.