Anybody playing that percussive.....

What's Hot
......style bass? A la Mark King? Or is it just bassists in Level 42 tribute bands?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LuminousLuminous Frets: 210

I do....
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23968
    Larry Graham invented slap. But after him, Les Claypool, Victor Wooten, Marcus Miller, Rob Trujillo (before Metallica & Ozzy) Flea, Michael Manring, Verdine White, Doug Johns, Doug Wimbish etc etc

Loads!
  • Stanley Clarke is an obvious one. Nick Beggs of Kajagoogoo (and of various prog rock bands). Jonas Hellborg used it on some stuff.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • https://youtu.be/VagwBEqBwAU

Like this. And to clarify....I meant members on here who play this bass style. Thanks. 

Yup. It's called Slap. And I do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like it. Mrs Abbott (it is two t's at the end...I just mistyped it when I joined the message board) is badgering me to tell her what I would like from Santa for Christmas. Do I go for a 'budget' bass?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It was invented by a bloke with a simple jazz bass. Nowt wrong with the Squire CV models.

Do try some out though, Precision and Jazz basses have very different neck shapes.

• I wasnt thinking of any type of guitar in particular. Doesn't necessarily have to be a Fenderesque one. Maybe a shorter scale length one!
    String choice will be limited with shorter scales.

Yamaha and Ibanez make very nice budget basses too.
  • Short scale basses any good for slap? I'd have thought they were missing the bounce you need. I tried a couple of SUB basses the other day, seemed lovely for the money.
  • FrankieabbotFrankieabbot Frets: 96
    edited November 2015
    Mr King himself....says there is a bit of a trade off between normal and short scale bass.
  • Looking it up his current sig bass has a standard 34" scale? Looks like his old Jaydees did as well. :-B
    Mr King also plays rather expensive Status basses with the Bendwell system that is effectively a 34 scale with a capo.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I like playing slap bass, it's great fun. Not saying I'm any good at it of course!
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    Wasn't slap bass invented by the double bass playing rockerbillys in an effort to gain volume?

I've been playing bass since about 1990 although prefer guitar. Currently have a squire musicmaster for recording and sounds fine for a bit of slap.
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    Electric bass slap is a different thing to double bass slap because the slapping is generally done with the thumb rather than the flat of the hand/fingers.

I spent quite a long time learning to do it when I first played bass, but then realised I hated the sound and would never ever play in a band that wanted me to do that kind of thing.
  • It's probably better with fresh strings to get that snap, but any bass should do. It depends on your playing style position of thumb etc so best trying a few different types to see what suits you best.
    As an aside you can also 'slap' with the tips of your fingers.
  • If it's a short scale that sounds good for slap the Scott Whitley SWB-1 is available soon.

Scott's a monster of a player who's been refining his needs on shorties for years.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16256
    Having been trying to find my bass chops again ( not that there was much to begin with ) rediscovered that evening of slap= bloody sore thumb the next day :((