Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited April 2015
    100% agree with what @octatonic says above - though (except for the GS1200 Adventure) the stretching of legs is gonna happen after about 2 hours due to the fuel consumption / fuel tank capacity limitations of most bikes (45mpg at an average of say 80mph and a useable tank capacity of between 3.5 to 4 gallons = approx 2 hours).

@midiglitch - I haven't had any "problems" with the wind protection from the Mulitstrada. On the pre-2015 bikes the fairing deflects the wind blast around your body, however the screen diverts the wind to crash helmet level. And this is the issue that I have, particularly when I want to wear an open-face crash helmet (not an issue with a full face lid).

I understand that the new bike has a revised screen design, and is non-adjustable.

I took the Multi to NW Spain / Portugal 3 years ago (via the Portsmouth / Bilbao ferry) and found cruising at 90mph for 2 to 3 hours at a time for a journey of 450km pretty comfortable.     

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Awesome. A mate and I are planning o take the exact sqme ferry and bike back via the alps this summer. Any tips?
    edited April 2015
    Gen up on the rules and regs for motorcycling in each of the countries (France now requires 4 fluorescent stickers on the crash helmet + you have to switch off the speed radar detector function on sat navs + at least 1 breath test kits is required). 

Stay off the motorways - there's miles and miles of beautiful single carriageway to be sampled.

A couple of routes that I have done have included the A21 in Northern Spain - leaving Pamplona and then becomes the N240 (from Yesa to Jaca). The part along side the lake is great for twisties, then take any one of the routes through the Pyrenees - follow the Tour de France route up to the Col d'Aubisque. But in all honesty, it doesn't matter which side of the Pyrenees you travel, the roads will be good.

Once in France - if you happen to go by the bridge at Millau there is then a great piece of road from Mende to Ales (N106). It's about 70km long and is biking heaven.

Any of the smaller roads to the east of Aix-en-Provence (particularly up to Lac de St Croix - below). Then the Route Napoleon is a quick way to get up towards Grenoble.

On the way back there is another great road leading out of Geneva - the N5 from Gex to St Laurent. And also the D971 from Dijon to Troyes (about 100 mile's worth)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited April 2015
    Well, that was an interesting day. I ... Er.... Kinda went a bit nuts. So I have one of these incoming:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Wow, great choice! I'd be a little worried that the bmw would be so brilliant that I'd never ride the triumph, but what a problem to have! :-)
    Cheers. The Trumpet is for touring- I don't think I could deal with a 3 week tour on the BMW. ;) So pleased, now I have to wait a week to get them. BOOOOOOO!
    Nice choice - I had a test ride on an XCx two weeks ago as an alternative to the 2015 Multistrada. Was v impressed with the performance and handling, tho' I'm sure that they had it on the slackest of the throttle maps - felt like the throttle was attached to a rubber band.... 

Have the same thing on the Multistrada - in urban mode. Just have to get it in to sport for instant pleasure!
  • midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    @mtb thanks for those tips - most helpful. Can't wait to get cracking.
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    And I thought I had pushed the boat out :)  

That said, I bought the GS over the Triumph 1250 because of the snatchy throttle on the latter.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
    MtB said:
    Gen up on the rules and regs for motorcycling in each of the countries (France now requires 4 fluorescent stickers on the crash helmet + you have to switch off the speed radar detector function on sat navs + at least 1 breath test kits is required). 

Stay off the motorways - there's miles and miles of beautiful single carriageway to be sampled.
    Wis for these - although I must confess I did not do any of them on my last trip.  Weather was so bad and progress so slow on the D and N (Departement and Route Nationale) roads that I eventually paid the tolls in order to make the crossing I'd booked in advance. Warning: the Tunnel is almost as bad as the ferries now for delays and bureaucracy - no doubt because of terrorism and illegal immigrants, but a disappointment all the same.
    edited April 2015
    And I thought I had pushed the boat out :)  

That said, I bought the GS over the Triumph 1250 because of the snatchy throttle on the latter.
    It was QUITE a day.

Yes I found that on the Tiger Explorer too.
    The XCX has a much better throttle response, better feeling and is more manageable in terms of weight.

I came really close to getting a GS and I may do at some stage, but for virtually the same money as a stacked GS I could get both bikes by trading in the Street Triple.

MtB said:
     But in all honesty, it doesn't matter which side of the Pyrenees you travel, the roads will be good.

Missed this - NOT true of the E9 (route d'Espagne) ;)
    edited April 2015
    I have delivery dates now.

XCX arrives this Saturday- I'm heading off to the Cotswolds on it looking at houses.

Then I get the S1000R the following weekend.
    In the end I decided to go for a red S1000R.

Every bike I've ever owned has been black, as is the XCX.
    Figured it would be good to try something else for a change.

So... when are we doing a tFB ride out?
    Cotswolds wrong side for me - I'm in East Anglia on the edge of the Cambridge Cartel
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    edited April 2015
    Had a nice little ride down to the Bikerstore at Lingfield (Surrey) today, eyed up some bikes that I can`t afford to buy and bought some RST Kevlar jeans for around town riding, they are pretty nice jeans although a bit baggier than I would normally wear in the lower leg region but then again they do fit over boots.

Loads of bikes out around here since last weekend Box Hill has been rammed, the season has definitely started.

Took my cafe down to the Colchester Classics today (pics to follow including an amazing 'matrix' Ninja), but I have got myself a bad case of 'biker's elbow' can barely pick up a glass :(
    edited April 2015
    Picked up Big Traily (pics incoming once I'm on a proper computer) and rode it to the Cotswolds. 

Plush ride and all good except for wind blast at my head. 
    Madstad screen incoming, which should sort it. 
     Decided to go for Metal Mule panniers for it too.
    octatonic said:
    Picked up Big Traily (pics incoming once I'm on a proper computer) and rode it to the Cotswolds. Plush ride and all good except for wind blast at my head. Madstad screen incoming, which should sort it. Decided to go for Metal Mule panniers for it too.
    I'm looking at the Wunderlich 3D lip http://www.wunderlich.de/shop/en/wunderlich-vario-ergo-3d-screen-deflector-1.html
    edited April 2015
    I'm probably putting a Wunderlich screen on the S1000r. 
    They do quality kit but not available for the Tiger 800. 

The Madstad is generally agreed amongst Tiger owners to be the best screen for the Tiger- at least it bloody better be for what they charge for them. ;)
    Yes, Madstad don't have anything yet for the post 2013 LC Beemers