Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1378
    strtdv said:
    You can probably do better than that for the money, a quick look shows plenty of the new model ER6F's with under 5k miles for about £4300. The new model is considerably nicer looking (much more tied in with the rest of the Kawasaki range, and has two headlights like a ninja, not the single central headlight which is a bit ugly IMO). The new one also has slightly improved geometry and suspension, bigger fuel tank, and if you're over 5'10" you'll appreciate the slightly higher seat height.

£4000 will also buy you any number of 3-4 year old Yamaha Diversions and Bandits, or a nearly new Gladius or SV.

You won't get one of the new model CBR600Fs for under £4500 I wouldn't have thought
    CBR600 is a top top first 'big' bike. It will be well made, forgiving for a rider of your experience, and last a good few years....buy the best you can for the money you have. I flogged mine for £2100 years ago - it was 9 years old at the time and I had it from new. It was a steal at that and I would have it back in a heartbeat.
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I have Furygan leathers, the fit is excellent.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2433
    rsvmark said:
    CBR600 is a top top first 'big' bike. It will be well made, forgiving for a rider of your experience, and last a good few years....buy the best you can for the money you have. I flogged mine for £2100 years ago - it was 9 years old at the time and I had it from new. It was a steal at that and I would have it back in a heartbeat.
    Yes, the old CBR600F would be ideal, you can get a 2006 one with under 15k miles for about £3k. Build quality is excellent, parts are widely available, not much to go wrong with them, and with regular maintenance it's a 60,000 mile engine.
    Handling is excellent, it's fairly comfortable for a sports bike and it's the throttle's not snatchy like on some newer and more powerful sports bikes.

Completely different bike to the newer CBR600F though, which basically shares only the name.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Not looking for a sports bike - want a more upright position. So I think the CBR is probably out (and 4.3K is stretching too far, really - the 3.8K for the ER-6F is already a stretch). I'm also limited to the local shop, so I have to make my choice from whatever they have in stock when, or soon after, I get my licence (the Van Van is on buy-back - I get the full price I paid when I trade in).

How much is weight a consideration when it gets down to it, especially considering I'm a noob? Use will be commuting and days out. I certainly notice the difference between the Van Van and the Gladius (120kg and 200kg dry). The Gladius is much more stable when slow riding, and less susceptible to side winds, while the Van Van feels easier to manhandle or get a foot down to steady it if the balance feels a bit off when coming to a stop. Does 20kg more (Bandit) or less (ER-6F) really make much difference? Do people say the Bandit's a heavy bike simply because that's what the numbers indicate, or is it a tangible thing that is apparent when riding it?

On a more general note, what sort of things do I want to be thinking about when taking a bike for a test ride? Not so much mechanical issues, but trying to assess the character of the bike in a meaningful way. My rough plan for a route is to head west from the shop for a couple of miles in traffic on a slow urban dual carriageway, and then get onto motorway for a few miles, heading west, to get a feel for the wind blast (into prevailing wind), and then return to the shop on a twisty A road with a couple of villages on the way. That would be about 30 miles all in, which I'm assuming for now that they'd be happy with.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

edited August 2015
    The CBR6000F isn't really a sports bike.
    The RR is.

The F is more of a sports tourer/all rounder.
    They are very good and you could get a low miles, late 2012 model for about £4-5k.

The ER6F is slow and dull.
    The Gladius suffers from the shittest name in the history of bike names but is an OK bike.
    Out of the 3, no question I'd have the CBR600F.

Weight isn't an issue- particularly once you are moving.
    I manhandled a 350kg Rocket III the other day and it is fine.

One thing- seriously consider a Street Triple as a first big bike.
    They are amazing to ride, handle brilliantly, are fast but not too fast, light and sound incredible.
    You will struggle to find a better bike- I miss mine and considering buying another one, despite having the S1000R.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2433
    octatonic said:
    The CBR6000F isn't really a sports bike.
    The RR is.

The F is more of a sports tourer/all rounder.
    They are very good and you could get a low miles, late 2012 model for about £4-5k.

The ER6F is slow and dull.
    The Gladius suffers from the shittest name in the history of bike names but is an OK bike.
    Out of the 3, no question I'd have the CBR600F.

Weight isn't an issue- particularly once you are moving.
    I manhandled a 350kg Rocket III the other day and it is fine.

They are amazing to ride, handle brilliantly, are fast but not too fast, light and sound incredible.
    You will struggle to find a better bike- I miss mine and considering buying another one, despite having the S1000R.
    I meant the pre-2011 CBR600F4, which was 99% the same bike as the same generation FS prior to the RR coming out in 2003, just with a different seat.

The later 2011+ CBR600F isn't a sports bike at all, it's a hornet with a fairing.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625

This is sound advice, I have honestly never met anyone with a bad word to say about the Triples.

I still have my SV, cheap and cheerful, does all I ask, I can ride it to maybe 80% of it`s potential which you cant on a lot of race bikes, plus you can pick them up for a fraction of what you are looking at.

But yes they are made of cheese!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElwoodElwood Frets: 454
    What would you recommend as a first bike around 600cc+ I've only looked new so far (MT07 being the stand out).

Either a naked or classic is what I'd be looking at. As with all newbies experience is the problem so my plan is to buy something second hand first.

So what would you recommend for around 3k on the market. Reliability and good handling are key. I'm 6'2" and don't want.to be folded over the filler cap :)
    MT07 is great value for money.
    I would say a Street Triple though- it is fun, handles brilliantly, light and is a cool bike to have.

£3k will get you a high miler from 2008.
    I would spend £4k myself, you will get an 09 with lowish miles with a decent amount of service history.

You can get some extremely good deals on the round headlight model (pre 2011), which I reckon is the best looking one.

Only downside is you will pay more for insurance on them than something like an MT07 and thieves like them more.
    A price worth paying though, imho.
    I had one as my first big bike.
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Update...

Passed Mod 2 this morning. :)

Going to test ride a bike or two (the shop where I did the training are happy to let me do this right away). A blue & white Gladius is in the running (even if it is a shit name).

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Congrats.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited September 2015
  • Nice busa!
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I have a Suzuki GSX750w Inazuma and an Aprilia SL1000 Falco. The Falco hasn't been started in well over a year due to me having spinal surgery and not being able to ride it. I must get my arse into gear and put it up for sale, such a shame it's a great bike.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    Incoming:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Incoming:

Fantastic, lovely katoom, what did you think on the test ride in comparison to your beemers?
    I have a Triumph Tiger XCX and and BMW S1000R.
    The KTM does everything that the Tiger does and everything the S1000R does as well.
    It is an astonishingly good bike and it is tremendous fun.

The Tiger is going- I don't need it if I have the KTM. 
    Haven't made a decision about the S1000R- I might keep it and use it for the track, or I might sell it and get a dedicated track bike (probably a Ninja 636) and a 350cc KTM dirt bike.

I should have it in a week.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    yeah but is not a patch on what its based on!

http://src.soymotero.net/images/13785.jpg

Bultaco Paris-Dakar
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Not all bad though because....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom