Any Motörbike riders here?

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Wow, nice one! I have a soft spot for big KTMs, despite some of their quirks.

My missus had this one for a while;

http://i63.tinypic.com/amd478.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Love the RC8.
    The 1190 is a great engine- I have to keep it under 6k for the moment but the test bike had such a great engine note around 9k.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    I had an original 950 adventure, bought new in 2005. I had it for 4 years; was a great bike. Simple, fast enough, did everything I needed it to. Reliable, if expensive to service and annoyingly fragile in silly places.To be honest though, I felt that even the 950 was compromised in real-world use by being a bit too big and heavy. An 850 twin lightened up significantly would have been ideal. However the CC / HP wars are still happening in some corners of the biking world so alas it was not to be.

Nowadays there is only one KTM dealer in Scotland, and 1: they're rubbish; 2: they're over an hour's ride away. I'd have had another KTM, maybe an SM-T or SM, if not for the dealer. I was planning to get the Husqvarna 701 SM when it came out, but as they're now essentially KTM, again they only have that one dealer. No sale...

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777

This is my previous 675. My current one look almost the same.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    quarky said:

Are they softer than they used to be? I had an '08, and on my favourite bumpy B-road it was so stiffly-sprung it was slower than a knackered Bandit, no matter how I adjusted it.

Still one of my favourite ever bikes, a real character, if a bit evil at times. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    quarky said:

Are they softer than they used to be? I had an '08, and on my favourite bumpy B-road it was so stiffly-sprung it was slower than a knackered Bandit, no matter how I adjusted it.

Still one of my favourite ever bikes, a real character, if a bit evil at times. :)
    The R is super stiff.
    The regular Daytona isn't too bad.

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    edited March 2016
    Rode this back from North Wales last week, picked a glorious dry day for it. Twas cold but bright, stopped half way back to Nottingham at my Dads in Stoke. First bike for nearly 30 years. Riding position felt very different.

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    edited March 2016
    Nice to see this thread up and running again. I had to sell my beloved Honda Fireblade a few months ago because of my current circumstances but will be looking for a new ride in April. I am strongly drawn towards the BMW K1200S in these colours as I still like the sports element but as I have done more touring these past few years the luggage options would be welcome. Should bag a nice one for around £5k.

cruxiform said:
    Nice to see this thread up and running again. I had to sell my beloved Honda Fireblade a few months ago because of my current circumstances but will be looking for a new ride in April. I am strongly drawn towards the BMW K1200S in these colours as I still like the sports element but as I have done more touring these past few years the luggage options would be welcome. Should bag a nice one for around £5k.

I love the K1200S and 1300S- I seriously considered one last year and again when ended up buying the KTM.
    For £5k you will also get a K1300S if you shop around.
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    Passed my CBT last week and just passed my theory test today. 49/50 on the multiple choice and 58/75 on hazard perception (which is great imo seeing as you need 44 to pass and 57 to pass as a driving instructor)

On the 11th/12th I have the first two days of my 4 day das course. I'm just 19 so I'll be on an A2 license after I pass.
    Almost certainly going to go for a Honda cb500, maybe a gs500 or er5.
    Also been given a two, two piece sets of leathers (one alpine star, one dainese) from my uncle as he has them going spare, and have gloves and boots sorted, just got helmet to buy now. Think I'm going to go for a caberg duke, safe, cheap, look cool.

Anyone else currently doing a das course/just done one?
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    edited March 2016
    Like you @octatonic my XCx is likely on the way out this year. It's a great little bike, but I just miss the brute force of my Ducati 1200 Multistrada. 
    I've lusted after the RC8 for a few years now, but think that the perfect compromise could be the new KTM Superduke GT. And there's a main dealer in my town!
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Mkjackary said:
    ... just got helmet to buy now. Think I'm going to go for a caberg duke, safe, cheap, look cool.

You need to check the fit - not all helmets of a given size will fit all heads of a given size. Helmets and heads both come in varying shapes, and you need one that works with your head shape.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    octatonic said:
    The R is super stiff.
    The regular Daytona isn't too bad.

Yeah I would agree with that. Haven't owned a R, but taken one out and it was stiffer. The regular is quite stiff, but generally pretty good.
    MtB said:
    Like you @octatonic my XCx is likely on the way out this year. It's a great little bike, but I just miss the brute force of my Ducati 1200 Multistrada. 
    I've lusted after the RC8 for a few years now, but think that the perfect compromise could be the new KTM Superduke GT. And there's a main dealer in my town!
    I looked at the Super Duke GT- well, I rode a Super Duke.
    Great bike- completely mental.

octatonic;990794" said:
    cruxiform said:

I love the K1200S and 1300S- I seriously considered one last year and again when ended up buying the KTM.For £5k you will also get a K1300S if you shop around.
    Fingers crossed!
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1374
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

My new bike. Pick it up next week. Can't wait, it's mint, only 17k miles and with a host of extras thrown in. Already thinking about my first jaunt to Europe! 

• MtBMtB Frets: 921
    The K1200S is a monster of a bike, with 170bhp on tap. My biking buddy had one for 6 years, and it never let him down. I rode the bike a couple of times, and found it (for me) to be just a bit too much hard work to hustle it through bends. It was scary fast though.

I've arranged for a test ride on a KTM 1290 Super Duke R (beast) when the weather is a bit warmer - this as the local KTM dealer has said that they won't be having a SuperDuke GT demo bike (at least not in the near future). They are saying that the GT has a full order book through to July.

Can't wait to see a road test of one - see how the the semi-active suspension fares.    
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    Made the mistake of test riding a cb1000r at the back end of last year. My sv650s isn't holding its usual appeal now, and I'm weighing up options.

A fz1000 might suit me quite nicely.....or I'll do the few little jobs my bike needs and fall in love with it again.
    MtB said:
    The K1200S is a monster of a bike, with 170bhp on tap. My biking buddy had one for 6 years, and it never let him down. I rode the bike a couple of times, and found it (for me) to be just a bit too much hard work to hustle it through bends. It was scary fast though.

That's good to hear. I expect it to be a completely different experience to my last bike, a Fireblade. A tad more comfortable for a start!