NGD - Vanquish Wudtone 0001

What's Hot
andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
edited February 2016 in Made in the UK
Best to let some videos do the sonic talking in due course, meanwhile take a look at Ade's ( Vanquish Guitars)  latest creation that landed the other day. Had a hand in the specs and did the colouration with Wudtone Saffron / Mahogany top and Cherry Flamenco back and sides. Dark Onyx on the headstock. Ade took over with the xgloss ageing top coat ( he is better at doing it than me) . Fitted with a bespoke version of the Wudtone CP Holy Grail trem.

The combined tenon / scarf joint used to join the neck to the body is just genius. Significant benefit in the guitars integrity and playability. 

I bet money on the fact that some day all guitars will be made that way.  

Amazing top carve and it has a lovely ( ala Les Paul) neck angle. Neck shape not clubby, exactly Vintage C, as requested and feels just perfect, .  Have been playing "Still in Love with you" Thin Lizzy pretty non stop since it arrived. Award winning playability and attention to detail.  First impression big Les Paul with gloves off ( in terms of dynamics) with trem that works. Videos to follow. 

1reaction image LOL 21reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Oooof. :)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Andy that's great man, really cool.

Will you bring it to the Guitar Show and stick around for the Aftershow Party again with it ?
    I Would love to hear and see you play that in full flight !

Happy New Guitar Day !
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Nice knobs!
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tasty
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • Looks great! 
    Demo required!!
  • Great looking guitar! I bet it sounds pretty good too.

You can't rave about a neck to body join and not show a pic of it though.

Happy NGD!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3852
    MattFGBI said:
    Nice knobs!

Two words that are guaranteed to clear any male shower room in seconds.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1462
    ElectroDan;872520" said:
    Great looking guitar! I bet it sounds pretty good too.You can't rave about a neck to body join and not show a pic of it though.Happy NGD!
    If it's anything like my old Legend it will be amazing :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b371/Markcupra/258cc21c64e943b3872f968c58615f3f_zps81fa9309.jpg

Lovely to see Ade is still creating some of the UKs finest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2867
    Lovely. Well done all involved. :)
  • Alnico said:

Will you bring it to the Guitar Show and stick around for the Aftershow Party again with it ?

Happy New Guitar Day !

Hi buddy, of course and keep your fingers crossed, we have a 1 1/2 hour session organised on the show stage, so some jamming potential there too. Still need to sort out the details but looking fwd to all goings on inc aftershow party,   cheers and thank you

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited November 2015

Great looking guitar! I bet it sounds pretty good too.

You can't rave about a neck to body join and not show a pic of it though.

Happy NGD!

OK I'll take some more pics showing this tomorrow. The way Ade does his neck joint was what drew me to Vanquish in the first place. It seemed like an worthy set neck guitar innovation and having seen the engineering, shaping and the way it is done, along with some albeit limited experience, I most definitely think it is. It combines the approach of a scarf joint ( greater gluing area) with a tenon joint ( for strength ) and also a bit of a morse taper to lock in approach too,  if you like. 

This all means additional glued surface contact area along with surface contact area over the whole joint , ie the ends as well as the sides etc. When the joint is glued etc the neck is pulled into a combined tenon / scarf socket and so under an amount of compression. 

Below is a pic from the Vanquish site. As an evolution of guitar body neck jointing approach it seems to deliver several benefits..  The outcome seems to be a guitar with a neck that looks and feels more like an integral part of the instrument. The benefits in terms of dynamics, resonance and length of note etc, others who have Vanquish guitars may have more experience but I will pop up some videos of how this guitar delivers in due course and you can judge for yourselves. 

I can say that it feels very natural and curvy under the left hand when playing leads, lots more so than Strat, Les Paul or PRS   access to the higher frets is a lot better than a Les Paul, still a bit better that a PRS which are usually pretty good in that department. 

I should also say what he does at the headstock end ( to eliminate the usual point of weakness) is another worthy feature. I would even bet money some day all guitars will be made that way too!

kind regards  

areait  
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    Amazing looking guitars. Very hard to be different and classy but this does achieve it. Can you give an indication of price range for this type of build?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    It looks very nice but I would have to change those knobs personally.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:

Happy New Guitar Day !

Hi buddy, of course and keep your fingers crossed, we have a 1 1/2 hour session organised on the show stage, so some jamming potential there too. Still need to sort out the details but looking fwd to all goings on inc aftershow party,   cheers and thank you

Andy that sounds brilliant. 
    It will be great to see you again and you would be missed at the aftershow party if you weren't there.

Keep in touch man.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Not only does Ade build some of the best playing guitars I've ever encountered, he's also one of the most genuine, lovely guys you could ever meet. He deserves every success. (Makes a mean cuppa too!) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 336
    Trotter said:
    Not only does Ade build some of the best playing guitars I've ever encountered, he's also one of the most genuine, lovely guys you could ever meet. He deserves every success. (Makes a mean cuppa too!) :)

I couldn't have said it any better

Ade is a top builder and top guy

• andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited November 2015
    OK some more pics showing the neck joint and the detailed craft etc. I've let Ade know about this thread and the Q about costs. The care and detail is really special. Even the back plate screws are not screwed into wood, they are screwed into brass inserts. Great custom detailing etc.  kind regards

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Beautiful.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    I love it! Wow's all around!
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345

And I thought that the front looked good.

I am definitely a fan of that sort of neck/body join and have seen a few variations on the theme - but nothing like that.  That's a big contact area.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.