Mounting controls on the front of an acoustic

What's Hot
I'm interested in an acoustic for sale locally, and the seller has had a pickup installed with tone and vol controls mounted on the front (near the edge, j160 style). I don't mind how this looks - but was wondering if it might have some affect on the sound? What do people think? Here's a pic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    It shouldn't affect the acoustic sound too much, but if he's just installed a piezo pickup (which I assume he has since I can't see a magnetic) with passive controls (again most likely because active preamps usually come as complete units) then the amplified sound will be shit. Piezos don't work properly with passive controls because they need resistances higher than any available pot to avoid loading them too heavily and making them sound thin and tinny.

So at the least I would plan on having to do work to the electrics. You could also replace the knobs with less grossly ugly ones as well ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    You could also replace the knobs with less grossly ugly ones as well ;).
    LOL - that had crossed my mind!
  • The fewer holes in an acoustic the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    It won't affect the sound much but ye gods it is ugly.

Make sure you get it for a knock down price as resale will be hugely affected.
  • octatonic said:   It won't affect the sound much but ye gods it is ugly.
    And that coming from a man who went to Michael Jackson's plastic surgeon for a nose job on his current avatar, ha !

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Ewwwww ......... that looks so uncouth! I like it not and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. There are good reasons why you never see knobs on the front of an acoustic! Apart from aesthetics, the top is the soundboard:

"The soundboard is the top of an acoustic guitar, and plays the most critical role in determining the overall tone and projection qualities of the instrument"

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited November 2013
    axisus said:
    Ewwwww ......... that looks so uncouth! I like it not and wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. There are good reasons why you never see knobs on the front of an acoustic! Apart from aesthetics, the top is the soundboard:

"The soundboard is the top of an acoustic guitar, and plays the most critical role in determining the overall tone and projection qualities of the instrument"

Yes, it does and I agree it is ugly.
    A couple of holes in the soundboard don't make a huge difference tonally or structurally.

If you have a look at these chladni patterns from an acoustic guitar top:

... you can see that most of the vibration occurs away from where the holes are mounted.
    The bracing is pretty strong on these factory made guitars- they are built to stay together more than they are sculptured for optimal tone (the term is 'overbuilt') so I wouldn't expect any issues, other than horrendous resale.

Chladni patterns are not for this particular top, of course- but you get an idea of where the modes of vibration tend to be.
    Every piece of wood is different of course.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Actually the mass of two pots won't make a lot of difference, especially not that close to the edge of the top.

But it is amazing how much the perceived 'right way' of doing things affects the value implications stuff like this…

Acoustic with massive plastic preamp box in the side: right
    Acoustic with *magnetic* pickup and knobs on the front that looks like a vintage Gibson J160E: right
    Acoustic with knobs on the front that doesn't have a magnetic pickup or doesn't look like a vintage Gibson: wrong

But an electric semi has the knobs on the front, and so: right. Even weirder, those hybrid guitars you sometimes get usually have the magnetic controls on the front and the acoustic controls on the side… which to me is very weird and awkward, but is somehow considered 'right' as well.

You could make this one a lot closer to right by fitting a magnetic soundhole pickup and nicer Gibson-type knobs, even though it doesn't look like a Gibson. Even just nicer knobs would go a long way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
     You could also replace the knobs with less grossly ugly ones as well ;).

Hey, leave me out of this :(