Nice review of the Boss DA2 adaptive distortion pedal

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

Very impressive  distortion.. dare I say it.. but could this pedal  be 'the' boutique OD  killer(?)

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsql said:

Very impressive  distortion.. dare I say it.. but could this pedal  be 'the' boutique OD  killer(?)

No: It's not true bypass. :P
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    It sounds good, but that guy demoing is really distracting!
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Sounds pretty good! (And i quite like the presenter's playing!)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    edited November 2013
    "Here's the clean sound: KRANG!!!"

Bleh. 

FWIW it actually sounds ok to me through laptop speakers, but then what doesn't?

EDIT: scratch that- as soon as he goes to the high gain setting his so-called "clarity" is wasp-in-jar as far as I'm concerned...
     Ultimately, does anyone want a digital dirt pedal?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited November 2013
    I have tried it. I really like it, it sounds unique, it's responsive and adds to the tone of your amp - doesn't smother it, but it does add it's own character.

This, and the dyna drive, are two things I've referenced for how new things can be better than old. Definitely worth trying them out.

The dyna drive can be bright, but the tone control is powerful so keep that low and it can be warm, too.

Of course, the concept will be ignored until, in twenty years time, boutique guys clone it and the boss original has been discontinued. Lololol
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

I liked the fact that the chords he played with close, almost dissonant notes, sounded so clear. A lot of distortion  boxes start to sound like mush when using such chords at high gain settings, I do wonder if many of us are Luddites when it comes down to the digital/analogue arguments . B-)

At what sampling rate does the digital translation effectively become analogue from the perspective of human hearing ?  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    It does sound pretty good in the demo - until the 4-minute mark where he turns up the gain and it produces a really nasty separated-sounding buzz - truly horrible. (And again a bit after 6 minutes.) Odd how it does that when it sounds OK at lower settings.

I agree about the 'clean signal' not being clean and it would help to know what he's going through.

Boutique OD killer - not remotely. It's a Boss, it's 'mass produced', it's not true bypass, it has too much gain, its not 'transparent', it's probably digital, it's not a rip-off of a vintage circuit and it doesn't have a stupid name.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I own one, I like it a lot.

I tried it out at band volume and I think it sounds better than my Blackstars drive channel.

It feels a bit odd though, extremely tight and "stiff" compared to other pedals. Which is good for fast picking and tight bass tracking but not for everyone.

Also the clarity works against you in some ways, it totally exposes your playing mistakes!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Boutique OD killer - not remotely. It's a Boss, it's 'mass produced', it's not true bypass, it has too much gain, its not 'transparent', it's probably digital, it's not a rip-off of a vintage circuit and it doesn't have a stupid name.
    Ha ... yep I forgot those prerequisites! 
    >:D<
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I forgot…

equalsql said:

At what sampling rate does the digital translation effectively become analogue from the perspective of human hearing ?

44.1KHz :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• You can tame that nasty buzzy sound he gets on the mega distortion by just taking the high knob down.  It's quite impressive, in the flesh.
  • equalsql said:
    Ha ... yep I forgot those prerequisites! 
    >:D<

You forgot the crap paintjob!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom