Double Bass Drum pedals

So, it's something I'd like to look at in the future..

Whats in the good value but still reliable area?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778
    Kind of a 'you get what you pay for area' imho. Pearl Eliminator is on sale now at Drum Wright but it is still £277. I went for a DW9000 and it was worth every penny. Do you want single chain, double chain or direct drive?

• No idea. This is completely new to me.

If you can explain the difference that would be great.Not sure it makes a difference but I need something that works well with an e-kit (so we are yamaha dt express v trigger pad here). Happy to spend the money if that's the far better long term option.

• IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    In the lower price range I've been very happy with the Gibraltar and Big Dog double pedals I've had over the years, but when you can score a secondhand Tama Iron Cobra for less than a ton with a bit of judicious eBaying I don't think you'd do much better without spending twice that.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I think I would basically be stuck having to pay through the nose if I was to get a double kick pedal, as I'd need a set capable of doing lefty setup.
  • andrewandrew Frets: 47
    IanSavage said:
    In the lower price range I've been very happy with the Gibraltar and Big Dog double pedals I've had over the years, but when you can score a secondhand Tama Iron Cobra for less than a ton with a bit of judicious eBaying I don't think you'd do much better without spending twice that.
    +1 for Gibraltar gear, never had any trouble with mine (other than the lack of ability to play the damn thing!), and my brother, who still plays 'heavier' stuff uses an Iron Cobra and sears by it.
    Sarcasm is often hard to detect in writing. If in doubt - yes, I was taking the piss.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778

No idea. This is completely new to me.

If you can explain the difference that would be great.Not sure it makes a difference but I need something that works well with an e-kit (so we are yamaha dt express v trigger pad here). Happy to spend the money if that's the far better long term option.

I have a Pearl Demon Drive direct drive single and a DW9000 double chain double pedal.
    The direct drive pedal is very precise- I was talked into getting it by a friend who is a very skilled drummer.
    I should have ignored him because actually I enjoy playing the DW9000 double pedal a lot more- it is a bit more forgiving and feels more solid.
    The direct drive pedals feel so light.
    I'm going to get rid of the direct drive pedal and get a DW9000 single- I just like the format.

Single chain, I guess they are a bit of a lighter feel, might be easier to do fast double pedal work, I don't really know as I've never owned one- I didn't like the feel as much.
    I don't really need a super fast action, I prefer a solid feel but YMMV.
    The DW9000 can be set up in turbo or accelerator mode- I have mine in turbo where there is a more direct relationship between the beater and the foot.
    Accelerator mode shortens the stroke so you have a quicker response.
    It is a tremendous pedal but you are looking at £500 which is the same as what I spent on my shells- I have no regrets about that though.

It is a big purchase, so take your time and find something you like.
    IMHO you can get away with cheap shells and stands but pedals, skins and cymbals are the place to stick the money.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2931
    I tried them all out (pretty much) during an full day extensive drum pedal try out. The DW9000 was great but pricey but the one that almost swung me was the Yamaha direct drive, if it had been a bit beefier I would have gone for it. Honestly, it punched well above it's weight. Well worth trying out.

Ultimately though, I bought an Iron Cobra. Best of the lot.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Hmm all good info.. think I need to try a few then.
  • My drummer friend swears by the iron cobra. Reckons it's the best all around double there is.

He is with @octatonic too - pedals, cymbals and skins are important. He values his stands but won't spend stupid money on them - he just wants them to be solid.
  • I got my mapex for under a ton new. It's only single chain but does the job.

Our drummer has an iron cobra and it's undoubtedly smoother. Personally I would prob look for a second hand iron cobra but i guess it also depends on how much you think you will be a double pedal drummer.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I've got a DW4000 double sat idle that I think is just missing a couple of the grub screws to attach the bar. I could probably be persuaded to part with it if you're interested, I'm not really a double kick player, plus I'm a lefty and it can't be flipped my way so I've only ever used the main single pedal since I've had it - I've recently got hold of a DW5000 single so it's surplus at the mo.