Simple question about speakers...

Hi There,

I am wanting to replace the speakers in my 2x12 and was wondering what ohm speakers I needed...

I currently have a 2x12 with V30s (harley benton g212v) which is 16ohm stereo and 8ohm mono. I use it 8ohm mono and want to continue to do so. I intend to pull the speakers out and replace them with WGS Invaders but keep the same wiring. Does this mean I will need 2 16 ohm WGS invaders?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    They will both be 16ohm V30's at the moment - the simplest replacement is with another pair of 16's.

(16+16 wired in parallel = 8)  

I''d probably just do a direct swap and keep the wiring but you could simplify the wiring and take out the option to have the cab in stereo by just having one socket and the speakers in parallel - I know icbm isn't a fan of the switching on cabs.
  • is there a downsize to having switching on cabs?

Thanks for the response. I was hoping to keep it simple as im rubbish at this sort of stuff, a straight speaker swap would probably be safest with me...

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    It's just an extra complication in the circuit that you don't need so some would argue for going for one socket.

It'll be simpler to fit to just swap out the speakers - they probably have spade connectors so you once you open it up you just unplug them and fit the new ones - nice and easy.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

Err, you might have a problem with a straight swop.

Celestions use a 5mm push on receptacle but many other makes use the more common 6mm and thus the existing terms' won't fit.

I note too that the Invaders are 2dB less sensitive than the V30s? Might seem a bit less punchy?

But we await ICBM to sort us out!

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    edited November 2013
    :) I'm not familiar with those speakers. If they're 2dB lower sensitivity they'll be a bit quieter, and probably less aggressive-sounding - it's unlikely they're *more* aggressive than V30s :) - but that might not be a bad thing.

If the terminals don't fit, cut them off and solder the wires on properly ;).

Switching in a cab does introduce potential unreliability and thus a risk of speaker or even amp damage - although in a mono/stereo cab it's not so bad because one speaker will remain 'on' even if the switching fails - as long as that one speaker will take the power of the amp by itself. (So in a cab with different speakers, always put the higher-rated one in the 'mono' side.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I'll be using a 50w amp, which never goes over 12 o clock into two 50w speakers so I guess if the switch fails I'll be ok!

Ive emailed WGS who have said their speakers are 5mm like celestions so I guess I'm good to go.

The sensitivity doesn't bother me, I'm not even using the vintage 30 cab as I dislike them so much. I'm currently playing through g12t-100s which are 97db and then being lower than the v30s hasn't bothered me.

Thanks for everyone's help, this forum is great :)

Chris

• I've heard good things about wgs speakers, but after emailing them, and having them say a 75 watt speaker will be fine with 80 solid state watts, I'm not going to take advice by gospel.

But yes, this forum is pretty good. :) try the gear page if you want to see what we strive not to be...
  • Oh dear, I'm an idiot and even I wouldnt believe that! Hopefully they aren't wrong about the size of their clips. But yes they seem highly regarded and it seems the cheapest option for a greenback flavoured 2x12 capable of handling 50w

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2349
    Yeah you need two 16 ohm speakers if you want the same overall impedance as you currently have in the harley benton cab.