SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Fender Wide Range Humbucker (neck)

What's Hot
skayskay Frets: 391
I've read hundreds (well, almost) of posts claiming how people have ripped these rubbish Fender reissue Wide Range Humbuckers (WRHB) pickups out of their Telecasters and replaced them with far superior boutique ones, but still I can never find any for sale secondhand!

I'm looking for a neck WRHB for a '72 Custom Tele (not sure if there's any difference in the output, magnet type or string spacing between the neck and bridge pickups) so a neck one would be the safer bet.

There's always plenty of new ones from the US but i'm not looking to spend that amount, especially if it is as poor sounding as reported, so please someone out there must have one knocking around in a drawer somewhere they'd like to get rid of???

Cheers, Steve

With so many comparison web sites out there, how do I choose the best one?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I got a pair for £45 of the MR forum. I think they sound good, although I tried mine with no pots and 500k pots, Fender use 250k which makes them a bit duller. They are pretty nice with a bit more top end you get from different pots.
  • skayskay Frets: 391
    Thought you were selling a pair for £45 for a moment there @menamestom , I thought my ship had come in!

That was a really good price, the new ones in this country are double that for a single, only stores in the USA are selling then for £45 inc shipping to the UK but then there's the tax, customs, import duty etc etc

Fingers crossed someone pops up with one...

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Talk to Ash at Oil City Pickups about one of his bespoke ones, pretty cool gear.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2866
    Yeah his cowtrons would go wicked in a tele :) which ill do at some point.
    The cowtrons in my owd riviera which the lovely @jonnyburgo now has sounds so sweet its unreal.
    Think the bespoke wide range pickups which ash , mark mojo and Jamie creamery do are pretty expensive ..... But very worth it I'm sure.
    Thanks for all the advice guys, but i'm really after a Fender reissue WRHB and not a reproduction of a 'real' one.

The reason being is that all these bespoke WRHBs are wound to the higher output of 10.3k or thereabouts, which totally overpowers the regular Tele bridge pickup, and makes switching between pickups a nightmare to balance volume and eq. I've read a lot of stuff about the originals are also like this, which is a quirk that gets you that great unique in-between sound, but I don't want just that, I want a neck and bridge that can work separately and together. 

The reissue Fender ones are low output (sometimes <8k) and seem to balance better with the Tele single coil bridge pickup, so unless anyone knows of another UK builder who does a low-output WRHB pickup then it looks like i'm off to eBay and Her Majesty's Customs can expect a cheque from me soon... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • t1000t1000 Frets: 93
    hi I have one you can have, its currently in my diy tele but I will be replacing it with a mini humbucker soon.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hi @t1000 thanks, at last I have tracked one of these elusive pickups down! (so have a 'Wow! for surprising me) I was sooooo close to ordering one off Ebay last night, glad I hesitated over the 'buy it now' button. 

Now I just have a few questions....

May I ask how you came about having this pickup, did you buy it new or did you take it from another guitar? Is it in a fairly good condition, i.e no obvious deep screwdriver scratches on top etc? How long are the wires left on it still? Do you know if this is a 'neck' WRHB version? Would you happen to know its output (measured on a multimeter for example)? How much are you asking for this pickup?

Apologies for the list of questions, but I find it quicker and easier to do business when everything is cleared up early, that way there's hopefully no misunderstandings.

Cheers, Steve.

hi
    I brought it new imported from usa. its in mint condition wires have not been cut. its the neck version. I can measure the output tonight. I want £35 inc posting as long as your mainland uk
    Sounds like a fair price @t1000 , I would like to know the output for my own interest, that would be most helpful.

Yeah, i'm in London, so shouldn't cost too much to post.

Thanks again,

Steve

hi steve
    output is 7.5k.

cheers

rich
    Nice one Rich, sounds perfect. Have you got a PayPal account, as apart from sending off a good old fashioned cheque, how else do people go about paying for these purchases?

Also, you may prefer to PM your details instead of continuing in this public thread, i'll check both to make sure I find your reply.

Steve