Oil City Christmas sale

What's Hot
OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
Hi Guys ... my Christmas/January sale last year was very popular so I'm going to run it again this year. It will ONLY be available to Fretboard members and will run from the 10th of December to the 23rd of December. The deal will be 15% off all Oil City Standard range pickups, and delivery will be around the end of January (though may be before). This is to allow us time to build your pickups especially for you ...
As a special I will be offering 20% on my standard humbuckers if you buy a pair
And 20% off my Masterwound Havoc humbuckers ... singles or pairs! 
PM me for deals on wiring and looms ... especially if you buy pickup sets too.

Ash
Oil City Pickups
Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Ash, where can I find info about the Havocs?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10370
    tFB Trader
    At the moment I will have to be the one to give it to you!
    Havocs are as follows:
    Available in black and white, black with black or nickel blades, white with black or nickel blades. 
    Custom over depth bobbins for improved treble response and maximum power when splitting.
    16k bridge, 9.5k neck 
    Bridge: hybrid magnet structure of twin ceramics flanking alnico 8 for warmth plus snappy bass response.
    Neck alnico 5, 8 or ceramic.
    Neck is designed to be more traditional in humbucker flavour ... like a PAF on steroids!
    Bridge has absolutely mind crunching power but far more subtlety than you would expect. Split these can give much better single coil sounds than standard depth bobbin buckers. Both pickups retain clarity and note separation even under very high gain, and clean up very well from your guitar's volume. 
    I like to think of them as a thinking man's metal pickup :-)
    Normal price is £105.00 each plus P&P   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • awesome deal! Just need to sell some stuff first :)
  • Hi Ash

Do you have any pickups that in the bridge have an aggressive modern tone for progressive metal but when coil tapped give a strat kind of sound?

Thanks,

David
    tFB Trader
    Hi Ash

Do you have any pickups that in the bridge have an aggressive modern tone for progressive metal but when coil tapped give a strat kind of sound?

Thanks,

David
    In one sense getting both sounds out of one pickup is always going to be tough ... but the Havoc does do pretty well at I think. It has bobbin depths, and hence coil shapes around the same as a Strat pickup (around 30% taller than a conventional bucker bobbin. This means each individual coil has a very single coil like response. 
    You can up the aggressiveness of the Havoc by requesting triple ceramic rather than twin ceramic and alnico 8, but personally I feel that for the small gain, you lose a fair bit of single coil warmth when you split the pickup.

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Havocs are as follows:
    Available in black and white, black with black or nickel blades, white with black or nickel blades. 
    Custom over depth bobbins for improved treble response and maximum power when splitting.
    16k bridge, 9.5k neck 
    Bridge: hybrid magnet structure of twin ceramics flanking alnico 8 for warmth plus snappy bass response.
    Neck is designed to be more traditional in humbucker flavour ... like a PAF on steroids!
    Bridge has absolutely mind crunching power but far more subtlety than you would expect. Split these can give much better single coil sounds than standard depth bobbin buckers. Both pickups retain clarity and note separation even under very high gain, and clean up very well from your guitar's volume. 

They need to go in a Shencker style flying V. They´d look cool as hell.
    tFB Trader
    I believe that Jonathan may be looking at doing just that :-) 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    The only thing I could use atm is a single coil size humbucker but they're still in the pipeline :-S
    tFB Trader
    drwiddly said:
    The only thing I could use atm is a single coil size humbucker but they're still in the pipeline :-S
    What for? I may be able to help :-)

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7324
    I really want some for my LP custom but don't know what to get. I can't decide if I want it to be a crystal cleans guitar or full on Heavy rock.
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    I really want some for my LP custom but don't know what to get. I can't decide if I want it to be a crystal cleans guitar or full on Heavy rock.
    Well you got 13 days to decide lol

I've got a suhr Aldrich in the bridge at the minute and it makes my teeth itch when I play lead with it haha. Which would be the best for that original lp custom humbuckers tone from the 50s? Forces Sweetheart?
    tFB Trader
    Forces Sweetheart will get you pretty damn close. The alnico 4 is nice and creamy without being overly thick or too spiky in the top end.

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    Evilmags said:
    Havocs are as follows:
    16k bridge, 9.5k neck 

They need to go in a Shencker style flying V. They´d look cool as hell.
    I have these on the shelf available to buy ...until such time that I get round to making something Schenker inspired (and if I sell them before then I'll just have Ash wind me another pair)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited December 2015
    Hi Ash, could this apply to the rail G-cow'tron set I asked about too?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Hi Ash, could this apply to the rail G-cow'tron set I asked about too?
    I'll PM you

• CeeBeeCeeBee Frets: 39
    Set of Blue Streaks ordered - thanks Ash - anyone else tried these yet?
    tFB Trader
    Several, though I'm not sure if that includes anyone on the forum yet ... I have them in my own Flying V as well :-) 

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 913
    drwiddly said:
    What for? I may be able to help :-)
    I have an Eggle Los Angeles which currently has the two original Kent Armstrong Cool Rails p/u's in the mid and neck positions but I replaced the bridge Hot Rails with an Irongear Jailhouse Rail a few years ago. Whilst the JR is OK, I think the guitar deserves a better p/u so I've been waiting for your rails pickup to come out to order a replacement.
    Sorry if I've missed it, but how does this work? Is there a code to put in at the basket or anything?

Also how do you buy sets? Have you just got to add the neck and bridge separately?