SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Good traders list?

What's Hot
Is this still getting updated? Apologies if I've missed something but doesn't look to me like the counts have been updated for a number of months now. It looks like a hell of a job to maintain tbh, and not surprised at all that the thread starters find it too much to do after a while.. So should we look at a plan b? If so, my vote goes to the basschat type system where each poster has their own thread which others leave feedback on, and then the owner stores the link to the page in their sig.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Another suggestion might be to write it into each others' Activity wotnots?
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I'll mention the lovely people who are kind enough to run the place for us - @ttony, @monquixote and @digitalscream - as there may well already be plans afoot :)

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26577
    edited November 2013
    dchwhite said:
    I'll mention the lovely people who are kind enough to run the place for us - @ttony, @monquixote and @digitalscream - as there may well already be plans afoot :)
    Ah! I forgot to mention this - @John_P has kindly offered to run through the traders' thread and update everything in a spreadsheet. As soon as he chucks it through, we'll get the original post fully updated. Alternative ideas are always welcome; I can't guarantee we'll implement all (or any) of them, but if something low-maintenance comes up which really has the potential to work better, then we'll definitely give it a damn good thinking about ;)
    <space for hire>
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    As the slacker who hasn't been updating this - long story which I won't bore you with - John_P is kindly going to send me his updates and I will implement them asap.

Going forward, I should have more time now and will aim for an update of the stats each week.

Sorry chaps

• JookyChap said:
    As the slacker who hasn't been updating this - long story which I won't bore you with - John_P is kindly going to send me his updates and I will implement them asap.

Going forward, I should have more time now and will aim for an update of the stats each week.

Sorry chaps
    Cool beans. If it turns out to be too much of a hassle for you, I (or any of the mods or admins) can update the post for you. No reason you should be stuck with the job just 'cos you made the initial post :)
    <space for hire>
    Cool, that's very good of him :)

I suppose I only thought of the Activity section as no-one seems to be using it very much at the moment, but I don't know whether (mis)using it might bring unforeseen excitements in the future...

It's just half a thought, but could 'Feedback' maybe be an activity type on the page - assuming of course you didn't want to keep it within a thread :)

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    No worries at all @JookyChap it is very good of you to do this on all of our behalf, I for one am very grateful.
  • johnnyurq said:
    No worries at all @JookyChap it is very good of you to do this on all of our behalf, I for one am very grateful.
    Ditto, it is a very important thread in my view, helps us feel safer when buying, and helps us calm the nerves of would be buyers, as well as our own, if we are selling. I tend to use it whenever entering deals that will not be done in person. Really appreciate the time you put in to keep it on track and updated =D>
    Err, save the plaudits for when I actually get my finger out and do it (ahem) - thanks though chaps.

One thing does strike me as probably more important, I've seen a few threads about people going missing and other dodginess (more on MR than here of course) but when we had the Bad Traders section nobody ever seemed to complain on it. Inf act there was only one in the time I've been covering it, and that was from  me.

We lost the old Bad list when MR died, and they are well old now anyway, but I'll start a new one (if a friendly Mod can sticky it) and would suggest that if people do have problems, that is far more important than the good one anyway.  I won't attempt to police the rest of the forum, but if people can suggest to any injured parties that they share with the group - even if there is a happy ending - it would help.

The trading on here is amazingly trouble free, and it would be nice  to kill off any numpties who want to take advantage of that :)

• JookyChap said:
    The trading on here is amazingly trouble free, and it would be nice  to kill off any numpties who want to take advantage of that :)
    That's something that we (the admins) need to work out - we have to be careful and not open everybody up to being held to ransom by anybody who has a niggle or personal disagreement with them. It may be as simple as having a "negatives" column in this thread's first post, but only allowing negatives to be added with a bit of explanation in private. Perhaps with the admins and mods having a private area where those negatives are listed in case anybody wants to question it? Dunno...
    <space for hire>
    JookyChap said:
    That's something that we (the admins) need to work out - we have to be careful and not open everybody up to being held to ransom by anybody who has a niggle or personal disagreement with them. It may be as simple as having a "negatives" column in this thread's first post, but only allowing negatives to be added with a bit of explanation in private. Perhaps with the admins and mods having a private area where those negatives are listed in case anybody wants to question it? Dunno...
    It's a good point, but I think you are opening yourselves up to policing the classifieds, and I'm  not sure it would be the wisest to get involved officially as you'd end-up taking responsibility by default.

On MR it was sparsely used and tended to have a one liner which I'd (or whoever was modding the thread) would write, pointing at a stand alone thread, or quoting it. A right to reply being available on the thread with the Bad traders list basically reporting rather than judging. It seems a cleaner solution and if there is a disagreement, people can make their own judgements on whether they'd want to deal with either party etc.

I really don't mind though - I've created the Bad thread but happy to delete it if a better solution is available / people don't want it :)

• Hmmm...that might be a better idea. 

Argh, I don't know. I'm just a techie, jeez. All this people stuff confuzzles me.

:D
    <space for hire>
    :) It's probably academic because nobody ever uses it anyway..

Maybe we should have a Nominate Somebody For A Witch Hunt thread instead, they always seem popular...

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Just an update - Jooky now has an updated list of trading feedback :)

With over 1K of usernames there is bound to be the odd mistake so I'd suggest people double check that it looks right - especially usernames.  I updated them where I spotted a change of name but there will be loads that I missed.

I think the list is pretty important for giving people some reassurance that a trade is more likely to go well but at some point we might need to delete the MR members that haven't joined TFB.

Would another solution be to add a +1trader to the list of wow, lol, wisdom?   Then you can click on the username and instantly see the score? 

I wouldn't mind seeing the frets breakdown next to the username on each post but I can see how that might look cluttered...

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    So 5 months on.. Doesn't look like the post count has been updated. Is this a dead duck or do we need to consider a plan b?
    It's a good point.. I have failed miserably.

Where we currently stand is that I have an updated (as of a few weeks ago) spreadsheet based on what John_P did, but have failed miserably to get it into the existing thread. What I was planning to do was create a new thread with the right numbers and names in and then look for a volunteer to take it over, as I'm clearly not the right chap for the job.

Thinking about it now, I'll get the spreadsheet updated and clean and then advertise for a volunteer as it makes sense for them to start the next generation themselves...

Obviously an automated solution would make more sense, but hate to imagine how much hassle it would be technically, and unless somebody has a better idea, I think this is probably as good as it gets right now.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I'll look into what I can do as a software solution. 

It will take a bit of development, but I think it would be worth it.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    How about a 'Good Trade' button to replace the late-lamented Facepalms? It would build up to a score that could be checked on someone's profile before entering into a transaction. (My score would be 0, as I did about half-a-dozen deals on MR but none on here!)
    bigjon said:
    How about a 'Good Trade' button to replace the late-lamented Facepalms? It would build up to a score that could be checked on someone's profile before entering into a transaction. (My score would be 0, as I did about half-a-dozen deals on MR but none on here!)
    That sounds a fine idea - especially if the original scores can be set from the start. The only worry would be that it is more anonymous - you couldn't see who has given the feedback and is more open to abuse because of it. But whether that matters or would really happen, I don't know.