Locking Tuners. Fuck Yeah!

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26742
edited November 2013 in Guitar
Changed strings on my Cabronita for the first time last night (what? I've only had it 10 months... Gotta love Elixirs :) ) which was the first time really dealing with the locking tuners; Schaller M6 minis, for the record. They're brilliant! So quick and hassle-free I can't believe I've never had them before.
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Agreed. Shame the only geet that I've ever had with them on was a cheap Yam Pacifica. Made stringing up a 5 minute job. Must get some for my Charvel.......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I often wonder why locking tuners are more common on cheaper guitars than, say, Les Paul.

I concluded people want to stay in the 50s. Locking tuners can be heavier but I've not noticed... Those schallers are great, I'm hoping I can get a nickel set for my build.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    I've got Spurzel locking tuners on all my gigging guitars. 

Just had some put on the Jazzmaster because those vintage slotted tuners could be a fiddly pain in the bum at times.  With locking tuners it is so quick it's not true!
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I try to have them on all of mine, there is a bit of laziness involved but I also find that tuning stability is greatly improved, even on hardtails.
  • I'm not a fan of locking tuners. There is more to break and parts to lose, the ones with knurled knobs on the back are fiddly and none of them ever seem to hold the plain strings effectively. Exception is the old winged PRS tuners which are okay.

Stringing non-locking tuners is just as quick with stable tuning if you do it properly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 103
    Are these generally the standard replacement upgrade for a strat? (MIM)

Anyone know if these require any additional drilling? I borrowed my bosses deluxe strat and forgot how much I loved the locking tuners until I saw this post. 
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    GazLion said:
    Are these generally the standard replacement upgrade for a strat? (MIM)

Anyone know if these require any additional drilling? I borrowed my bosses deluxe strat and forgot how much I loved the locking tuners until I saw this post. 
    Direct replacement for all current modern Fender tuners.  These are standard on Deluxe's etc but they aren't the same quality as the previous proper Schaller ones (these are made in Taiwan and not sure they are Schaller).  I just got a set of these shipped from the US, paid just over £36 including shipping and they arrived in a week.  Good old ebay!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9978
    edited November 2013 tFB Trader
    I'm gradually going to be changing all the Oil City demo guitars over to locking tuners ... and me own personal ones. The tuning on my Vintage V100 is rock steady now ... and I did despair of ever keeping the bugger in! Sadly it seems that axesrus have stopped doing the 'Lutiers Love' ones I have on that (£25 a set and brilliant) but I believe axetec are doing the self same ones http://www.axetec.co.uk/guitar_parts_uk_036.htm and they really are worth twice the price.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• Hmmm, maybe I should get round to changing the strings on that Les Paul I bought a few months ago... ;)

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Weirdly I find my most stable tuning is on my Edwards LP which has Vintage style Kluson deluxe's on, and this is compared to my Strat (Fender lockers) and Tele (Sperzel Lockers). Go figure?
    Oh and GazLion I'd definitely recommend getting either your Fender or Sperzel Locking tuners from the states (via ebay) as Richardj says.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • @FX_Munkee Just noticed your avatar... :D

FWIW I don't find my Cabronita is any more stable than my non-locking guitars; You'll get problems from a bad nut or if you don't string properly whether your tuners lock the strings or not.

I picked these tuners a) because I could get pearl buttons for them and b) to try out locking tuners without drilling any of my other 6-a-side headstocks. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • GazLionGazLion Frets: 103
    Cheers guys, @RichardJ the cheapest I can see at the moment are £45 quid shipped so looks like you got a good deal! Still cheaper than buying from UK mind! 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I'm not a fan of locking tuners. There is more to break and parts to lose, the ones with knurled knobs on the back are fiddly and none of them ever seem to hold the plain strings effectively ....
    Seriously???? I've never had any break, never lost parts, they have never seemed fiddly (my hands are pretty big) and they work with all strings. Been using them for many years. You are entitled to that opinion, but I would hardly call it balanced :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
     You are entitled to that opinion, but I would hardly call it balanced :)
    Oh come on, I did say the old PRS locking tuners were okay!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My Classic Player 50s Strat had Gotoh locking tuners, they were great and come as standard on that model.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    And there was me thinking that it was just me that thought restringing was fiddly.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    edited November 2013
    I have locking tuners with thumbwheels on at least 50% of my guitars 

more recently i have put these on a view guitars were vintage looks and weight were important

they lock as you tighten the string, not fully but a good stretching is enough to get them to lock firmly and they can be tightened a bit more with a penny if needed.

unfortunately it is easy to loose the top half of the post so you do have to be a bit careful with them
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited November 2013
    Dah, the editor stripped my smartarse HTML.