GAS . . . I think I need a Slverface Fender Vibro Champ !!!!

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
I'm fighting the urge to buy a Silverface Fender Vibro Champ but it's really difficult . . . Please tell me some nightmare tales and put me off . . . . . I don't gig anymore and I already have an amazing Blackstar Artisan 15 so I don't really need it but I WANT one . .
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I played one, once.

It was lovely.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    They are nice amps but getting to be a silly price now for what they are. In good working order they do sound great and the clean tone and tremolo especially are wonderful, but they were not actually that well-made originally - particle-board cabinets on most, fairly poor speakers - and can have problems as they are now quite old, including leaking filter caps and occasionally the quite difficult to fix 'board conductivity' problem. They run the 6V6 valve very hot and usually need a small mod (increased cathode resistor value and higher voltage cap, and adding a screen resistor) to stop modern ones cooking themselves. The breakup tone can be a bit hit or miss depending on the speaker. If you add the cost of what it might take to fix various issues if you buy blind (maybe including a new speaker) they look even less of a bargain.

Does that help? ;)

I've owned two or three of them by the way - I'd probably buy another at the sort of prices they were then, but you can get a lot more amp for the money they go for now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• A friend of mine had one at university in the 80s, he bought it in some kind of junk shop with a cheap Yamaha acoustic and a magnetic pickup for peanuts. He was the drummer in our band, many times I wished I'd offered him £30 for it! I borrowed it a few times, nice little practice amp to have around but nothing special really.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Particle board . . . Crappy speakers . . . In need of electrical mods . . Keep em coming it's starting to work . .
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 554
    Naaah....you need one, you know you do.

Your right . . . I NEED one ! !

GAS is kicking in again :-)

• What area are you in, mate might be selling his in West Wales.
  • No reverb.
    Good point . . . Its official I'm over it . . .!!!!

• MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    edited November 2013
    Dude you don't need reverb with the champs.  They have more than enough space and shine.

To be honest, until I got a vibro-champ I had no idea how good guitar tone could be.  Now I have a blackfaced champ, a blackfaced vibro-champ, a silverfaced vibrochamp and I recently bought the Clapton vibrochamp.  I love love love love them all.  And they are all very different.

The Silverfaces have more clean headroom and don't crunch up quite as nicely.  If I had to pick one out of all the ones I have, I would probably take the Clapton.  The 1 watt switch, weber speaker and quality of the vibrato are in another class.

They are great value as well.  The Silverfaces can be found at great prices.  For me, I have spent THOUSANDS without getting tone nearly as good as I get from a champ.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited November 2013
    Disgustingly, I am considering selling mine.

Really need the money and the missus won't let me sell my J Mascis JM. (40th present). 

The tremolo is brilliant. You don't use it all the time but it's there if you need it and that's what I'll miss most.

I changed the speaker our for a Tone Tubby hemp ceramic - it does make a big difference.

(I'm in manchester too) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    edited November 2013
    maw4neu said:
    Particle board . . . Crappy speakers . . . In need of electrical mods . . Keep em coming it's starting to work . .
    Funny how not much changes. I think this could also describe a lot of today's amps. :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I never liked them much til I jammed with an otherwise purely acoustic band. Two flattops, bull fiddle, accordian and me with a P90-equipped archtop and a silverface champ.

For most other situations there are better, deeper-sounding amps, but in that situation I wouldn't have swapped it for anything else, it evoked a time and a place very authentically.

I don't actually like them much for the "mic it up in the studio rock guitar solo" thing, but for a bit of Cheap Suit Serenaders-style porch music they're bang on. :)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    I was just going to say @streethawk has one, I had a little go through it when I bought his Danelectro Pro - The verdict? - Delicious. You NEED it Mark @maw4neu :)
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I was just going to say @streethawk has one, I had a little go through it when I bought his Danelectro Pro - The verdict? - Delicious. You NEED it Mark @maw4neu :)

;;)

I'll be selling my tanglewood acoustic too, might be able to save the champ from the chop with those funds. 
    Stop teasing @jonnyburgo you know I have a weak will, especially where guitars and amps are concerned . . . Ps . . . I still have 2 x 6v6 valves, now didn't you say you needed some . ???