Tech 21 trademark 10 opinions

jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
I have a problem with digital modellers and too many options which I know is ludditish and silly and probably the valve snob in me. These analog ss amps sound so good on youtube though very valve like to my ears. One near me for sale

Opinions please and price guide

Cheers!
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12292
    didnt mean to go all bold type there btw
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    Been a few years but I've tried a couple and really liked them - had a great tone I thought.  

Not sure one would beat my thr for a simple plug in and sound great at home amp but I like them.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17571
    tFB Trader
    Haven't tried the 10, but I used to have a 60 which I liked very much.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72234
    I don't like them. Boxy and midrangy. The clean sound isn't as bad, but the dirty sound is quite annoying.

I know many people do seem to like them though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    An old jazz teacher of mine gigged with the higher wattage one and it sounded like a huge high end tube amp.
    Glassy tones with great dynamics both with strats and semis.

The trade mark 10 I had regular access to for some time was indeed midrangy and boxy but very nice at clean settings nonetheless.

They are generally considered good quality amps and that's my impression too.
    If I had to have a SS amp, I'd look at tech 21 first.

• wordywordy Frets: 67

I have one, actually the Trademark 10, and agree that they can sound a bit boxy, but I think its just a bit of practice getting the nobs in the right position - you can dial in anything from terrible to very very good, so it takes a bit of practice to get it right.

There are some good settings here: http://www.cstone.net/~halouis/tm10/index.html?all

I dont use it at the moment, but I'll keep it as I think its an excellent little amp for its size and weight.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31486
    I had one for a while, but eventually found the drive sounds fatiguing on the ear for some reason, it was a bit like listening to Radio 1 on a good stereo at home instead of in a workshop or car, that "pumping" compression makes me feel queasy after a while.

I know it's not the same cause, but there's something about it that has a similar effect on me, though it seems to disappear when miked up.