NAD: CAA OD-50 Classic +

NerineNerine Frets: 2132
Suppose I'll cut to the chase...

Out of the 23 amplifiers I have owned so far, including the Ecstasy, Shiva, Barcelona, Goldfinger, YJM100, Superdrive 80 II, Einstein, Mark V, Dual Recs, 800's, Rockerverb, and various other Fenders and Marshall's, and every amp I have played in a store, or recorded at the studio I work at, I have never come across a better sounding amp.

This thing is unreal. Absolutely nearing perfection for me. I cannot fault the sound. It's like the best, Meatiest, thickest, fullest and hottest JCM 800, but just even more. It's unvelievable.

It's the first time I have plugged an amp in in ages and grinned from ear to ear. I think the last time was back in 2007 or maybe even earlier when I got my first Dual Rectifier.

The construction is absolutely first rate, and this thing is loud too!

The clean channel is to die for, and sounds great with some gain and boost on it. Especially with a Strat.

And AC/DC, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Hendrix, it's all in here. Easy. And all VERY convincing.

The tone controls are excellent. And similar to an 800, lower gain ranges yield a nice thwack in the top end.

There's serious gain on tap too. Haven't tried boosting it yet, or using the fx loop.

It's basically the perfect Fender clean and break up on channel one, and the absolute best modified Marshall on channel 2.

Sounds amazing with all my guitars. They all sound different as you'd expect or hope in some lesser amps cases, and it likes HB and SC equipped guitars.

My CS Relic Strat was particularly awesome through it. Lovely, thick, wiry, slinky blues tones on channel 1 and Blackmore, Hendrix, Clapton on 2.
And the heavier tones with the resonance and gain up with a Les Paul and some drop D riffage are ridiculous. This thing sounds HUGE!!!!

Currently using it through my Orange PPC 2x12 which has been VERY broken in and has English V30's in it.

I haven't been this pleased with an amp ever.

It's completely incredible.

FOR ME and for MY TASTES, it just doesn't get any better than this.

I am hopefully ordering the matching CAA 2x12 cab to go with it.

Absolute masterpiece, this thing...

Yep.

Gushing review.

But totally accurate.

Totally blown away by this amp. It sounds so so so so good.

:) :D
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• slateslate Frets: 89
    I need to be hearing that mate - AMPFEST !!!! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Nice Choice - if they sound anywhere near as good as the clips I've heard then I'd love to grab one. 
    HNAD :)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Clips please to drool over.

HNAD.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited November 2013
    Told you. ;) Think about the CAA cabs carefully- they are front loaded and I don't like them. Most guys go with Suhr 2x12, Bogner, Mesa or Zilla. I have a Zilla and very happy with it.
  • Nerine said:

Out of the 23 amplifiers I have owned so far,

:-O 23 high end amps! I can't get my head round the fact that you've not lasted with any of those, aren't you worried that you'll never settle with one amp? I really hope this one lasts, at least for the bank account
    :)
    Do you have Feedback and Whomp controls on the back of the amp?
    Try feedback on 7, Whomp 1 (middle) with presence around 6-7.

• NerineNerine Frets: 2132
    @cosmiccarrot I've had issues with all of them to be honest.
    Some of them too complicated, some of them don't sound particularly great to me, some of them are flawed/compromised etc.

This CAA is sitting absolutely perfectly with me. Love the feel and the depth and the power and the build and the simplicity yet flexibility, the tone, balance etc etc. it's all good!!! Very very happy!!

John Suhr knows his shit!
    Oh yeah- you have the depth control on that amp.
    Nice.

Mine has WHOMP and a 3rd channel (well, boost and independent gain on channel 2) and a global presence.

Yes, he really does.
    @octatonic It has feedback and depth controls. I've found the feedback is great for tailoring it to certain cabs.

My CS 1936V is brighter than my Orange, but lowering the feedback puts it tonally in a very similar place with a similar feel.

I run the depth high and back off the bass controls a bit.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Nice one Nerine and glad you've found something special.

So, what's the difference between this and the PT-50 @octatonic and @Nerine ?
    The PT has a plexi transformer, has 3 channels with channel 2/3 sharing EQ.
    Also has WHOMP which is effectively speaker damping but doesn't have depth control.
    Global presence too.

In practical terms the PT is a bit more Marshally with a Bogner-esque lead tone.

I absolutely would be happy with an OD50 Classic+ though.
    Amazing amps.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    Cheers J and one day I'll get around to trying your one ;)
    Anytime mate.

Well, not actually any time.
  • Congrats. They look to be great amps. One question... If you love the tone now why are you considering a different cab? Sounds like you have exactly what you need already..
    Congrats. They look to be great amps. One question... If you love the tone now why are you considering a different cab? Sounds like you have exactly what you need already..
    Gearslut card... REVOKED!
  • Hehe I am a bit of a gear slut but only in the chase to get the sound in my head. If he has achieved it with the current cab then save the money.

On a side note it's not my fault sound in my head changes every couple of months...
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Nerine said:
    Suppose I'll cut to the chase...

Out of the 23 amplifiers I have owned so far, including the Ecstasy, Shiva, Barcelona, Goldfinger, YJM100, Superdrive 80 II, Einstein, Mark V, Dual Recs, 800's, Rockerverb, and various other Fenders and Marshall's, and every amp I have played in a store, or recorded at the studio I work at, I have never come across a better sounding amp.

This thing is unreal. Absolutely nearing perfection for me. I cannot fault the sound. It's like the best, Meatiest, thickest, fullest and hottest JCM 800, but just even more. It's unvelievable.

It's the first time I have plugged an amp in in ages and grinned from ear to ear. I think the last time was back in 2007 or maybe even earlier when I got my first Dual Rectifier.

The construction is absolutely first rate, and this thing is loud too!

The clean channel is to die for, and sounds great with some gain and boost on it. Especially with a Strat.

And AC/DC, Zeppelin, Van Halen, Hendrix, it's all in here. Easy. And all VERY convincing.

The tone controls are excellent. And similar to an 800, lower gain ranges yield a nice thwack in the top end.

There's serious gain on tap too. Haven't tried boosting it yet, or using the fx loop.

It's basically the perfect Fender clean and break up on channel one, and the absolute best modified Marshall on channel 2.

Sounds amazing with all my guitars. They all sound different as you'd expect or hope in some lesser amps cases, and it likes HB and SC equipped guitars.

My CS Relic Strat was particularly awesome through it. Lovely, thick, wiry, slinky blues tones on channel 1 and Blackmore, Hendrix, Clapton on 2.
    And the heavier tones with the resonance and gain up with a Les Paul and some drop D riffage are ridiculous. This thing sounds HUGE!!!!

Currently using it through my Orange PPC 2x12 which has been VERY broken in and has English V30's in it.

I haven't been this pleased with an amp ever.

It's completely incredible.

FOR ME and for MY TASTES, it just doesn't get any better than this.

I am hopefully ordering the matching CAA 2x12 cab to go with it.

Absolute masterpiece, this thing...

Yep.

Gushing review.

But totally accurate.

Totally blown away by this amp. It sounds so so so so good.

I've always said those amps are a masterpiece! Hopefully this one is "The One"! Me, you and Slate will have to have a night down the studio when my new amp arrives, we'll totally turn everything up loud!
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    sweet :D

I've heard they're meant to be awesome. Never been able to try one. :(
    @timmysoft absolutely mate! It's an total beast!

@RichValentine
    I would like a new cab just because really. To be honest it sounds great with my Orange PPC, but that needs sorting out. The jacks are intermittent on the back, and I don't want it to all of a sudden have no load. Plus, I have a feeling that might be what made my JCM 800 fail. So I'm not using that one currently. My other cab is like a nail laser if you stand in front of it at a distance. Other than that, sounds good in most other places. It's ok for the time being and it does still sound good.
    I just want the amp to be done total justice though.

I'd love a pair of Rectifier 2x12's to be fair.