NOLPDD - New Old Les Paul Deluxe Day..

What's Hot
welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
edited November 2013 in Guitar

Well, here it is in all its Norlin Glory...70/71 Les Paul Deluxe...I think!!, bit of a swine to date accurately.

As soon as I first saw this guitar at a local shop, I fell in love with it, once I'd played it, I couldn't stop thinking about it, for me, this is one of those guitars that I couldn't let it get away, a silly old saying I know but it talked to me....

Yes, it has its issues, a few unoriginal parts, but it has been played...a lot, and to me that means its a good one..

I ended up having it for a really good price that I couldn't walk away from.

Thanks to @ESCHap @ICBM @guitarmonkey for all their help with the deciding of this purchase in another thread

http://i340.photobucket.com/albums/o348/bryncerdd/DSC_0585_zpsf96754a0.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's lovely that is. Have a wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congrats
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Excellent!  Lovely looking guitar, hope it's a keeper.  Is it a two or three piece top? looks like a much rarer two piece in the photo.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    ESchap said:
    Excellent!  Lovely looking guitar, hope it's a keeper.  Is it a two or three piece top? looks like a much rarer two piece in the photo.
    2 piece
    :D
    Even more of a bargain then! ;)
  • Nice catch!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    Excellent! I used to have a '74 LP Deluxe goldtop and to this day it remains one of the two guitars I shouldn't have sold.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    edited November 2013
    welshboyo said:

Thanks to @ESCHap @ICBM @guitarmonkey for all their help with the deciding of this purchase in another thread

You're welcome! Especially since as it's clownburst, I don't want it :P . (I prefer goldtops :).)

Enjoy, looks like a great guitar. I think you're right about the age, the headstock looks a bit narrower than they went to later. I had a '70 like that. I assume the original pots are long gone...

What's the serial number? My '70 started with 171, from memory. It's a long time ago but it was my first 'proper' guitar - I didn't count my Japanese Aria as 'proper' then, although I do now!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    That's lovely that is. Have a wow.
    this in bucket loads
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    welshboyo said:

You're welcome! Especially since as it's clownburst, I don't want it :P . (I prefer goldtops :).)

Enjoy, looks like a great guitar. I think you're right about the age, the headstock looks a bit narrower than they went to later. I had a '70 like that. I assume the original pots are long gone...

What's the serial number? My '70 started with 171, from memory. It's a long time ago but it was my first 'proper' guitar - I didn't count my Japanese Aria as 'proper' then, although I do now!

:P  serial starts 177.

It has original pots actually, need to de-gunk them though as they are covered in 40 years of dust and general shit

oh, and its only had one owner, who I am hopefully being put in contact with...just to get a little history on it..

welshboyo said:

oh, and its only had one owner, who I am hopefully being put in contact with...just to get a little history on it..
    I had a 1969 for a while; same sort of story. Managed to find one owner who had put his name and address on a label inside the control cavity.  He's still in music and it turned out he and the guitar had appeared on "Top of the Pops" a few times back in the late 70's
  • Looks lovely, I think you nabbed a bargain.
  • Very nice!
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Very nice. Will be on the look out for one in the new year too.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    There's a guy that attends a local jam I sometime go to and he has a left handed LP like the one @welshboyo has.

It not only looks nice it sounds fantastic and he can really play it (tastefully as it goes). Not being left handed means I can't try it out though but I am envious of it, and now you too.

had its 1st outing at band rehearsal last night, and even playing through a Line 6 Flextone thingy it sounded great, a little issue with squealing from microphonic pickups, which I understand is a little common with these mini-hums, but a quick twiddle with the volume and tone knobs got rid of that somewhat - I'm in 2 minds as to whether I should get them potted or not...if I can dial it out then there's no point I suppose..we'll see how it behaves on a gig.

All in all, I'm a very happy chappy with it, its going to need (another) refret in the not too distant future, but plenty of life in them as yet anyway.

Its definitely a keeper, thats for certain...until next week :P

• Looks lovely. Is it a 'boat anchor' or a more reasonable weight?
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Looks lovely. Is it a 'boat anchor' or a more reasonable weight?

No, not a boat anchor, normal Les Paul weight I would say..about the same as my R7

• Very cool.
    I think goof rings were used in  72.I can see why you wanted reflectors.It should have double ring Klusons too.
    Try the Norlin section on the MY Les Paul forum for tons of info .
    More pics please.