Jazzmaster mods - best parts to get?

So I love my jazzmaster, most of the time. I've always been meaning to change the bridge and maybe the pots on the controls. Now, I'm not quite sure what to change the pots to, but the tone pot isn't too useful right now and can be a bit shrill. 

Also, I've looked at bridges, is the mustang bridge the standard? What benefit it there of the 'buzzstop' part too? 

What I need is a JM whizz to tell me the best parts to get (what don't cost the earth). 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I tend to go for the Mustang bridge if you have a ye olde worlde 7.5" radius board, or  I've just tried one of the Staytrem ones on a 9.5" and that works really well. The standard one is fine though if you have heavy enough strings.

If your trem arm rattles, they do one that doesn't too, which is good but £30 so it depends if it bugs you that much. I never have worried about it tbh.

Mastery bridges people rave about but look like they fell off a mountain bike, which is pretty grim. I'm sure they work perfectly but are crazy money.

I've not liked the Buzzstop as it loses something for me and if your strings are heavy enough you really don't need it anyway. In fact most 'problems' disappear with heavier strings or a shim in the neck pocket.

Good pots and switches are always worth it - I tend to get one of Mojo pickups wiring looms as they are perfect and so neat it is a joy to fit under the pickguard.

Which JM have you got? (Which probably should have been the first questions)

• 93' (i think) Jap, all stock at the moment. I've just bought one of the mojo pups off a chap on here. It's got me thinking I should pull my finger out. 

The trem lock button thing doesn't work, but the trem works a treat. The arm flops about but it doesn't fall out. 

The strings are rattling chronic on the bridge, especially the eBG. I'm on 10s at the minute. 

I'm an absolute novice to wiring pickups/controls, so I'd probably have to outsource that, which is an issue (££). I personally think the buzzstop devices look dreadful.. is that just me? 

So just your run of the mill 'stang bridge should do a good job?  @jookychap
  • @jookychap - just been perusing the mojo site, can't see any pre-wires for JM?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I want to get a Staytrem bridge for my Jazzmaster but last time I looked on the website it said they were unavailable in any spec.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    bigfuzz said:
    @jookychap - just been perusing the mojo site, can't see any pre-wires for JM?
    His website never seems to catch-up - just drop him an email - he makes them to order anyway :)

Bucket said:
    I want to get a Staytrem bridge for my Jazzmaster but last time I looked on the website it said they were unavailable in any spec.
    I saw an update on ebay that he had them in again (iirc) Here you go

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7669
    On my J Mascis sig, I bent the arm slightly to lose the rattle, the bridge was fine as it was a tunematic, the pickups were alarmingly bright so I fitted some Lollars and I swapped the 1 Meg pots for some 250Ks.

Other than swapping the metal s/plate for a white/black/white one, I kept it pretty standard ;)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Buzz stops are bloody awful- just adding friction where there doesn't need to be.

I like Graphtech saddles rather than mustang bridges, but they do change the sound slightly (a bit more zing and a different sustain curve) which you'll either love or hate or not notice!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    I cannot recommend the staytrem bridge highly enough. I have 3! Very well made, perfect fit, and it enabled me to have lower action straight away (mainly because the radius is perfectly matched).
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Paul_C said:
    On my J Mascis sig... the pickups were alarmingly bright 
    I'm surprised at this- I found mine to be quite a lot bassier than my Thinskin.

The trem lock should work- have you tried adjusting the trem using that screw just next to the trem arm? Have a look HERE for more tremolo adjustment info. Sorry if you have already!

As far as Buzzstops go, I was a bit sceptical, having read all the negative comments on the various forums, but decided to give it a go for my Squier Jag, which was incredibly 'plinky' with stupid amounts of microphoinic feedback. I have to say that in that particular instance it was a definite improvement; it has reduced squeaks, creaks and microphonics to the point where I could test it in front of a chest-level 50 watt marshall cranked almost to full (yes, it hurt!) and it was only at around 2 feet awaay that the pickups started to squeal. It also added a ton of sustain.

The obvious easy solution is to use heavier strings (I use 13s on my Jap Jag) but I have 10s on my Thinskin AVRI and it is almost perfect. The thing is with JMs, setting them up properly is the solution to a multitude of problems!
  • Having just looked into the Staytrem bridge, that looks really good. If only they did it in 12" radius I'd pick it for my eventual JM home-build
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7669
    dogload said:
    Paul_C said:
    On my J Mascis sig... the pickups were alarmingly bright 
    I'm surprised at this- I found mine to be quite a lot bassier than my Thinskin.

when I took them out to fit the Lollars I noticed that while they were Jazzmaster-shaped, the windings didn't get anywhere near the edge of the pickup so they looked about as wide as a Strat and nothing like a proper JM
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister