Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I have found the flaw in having great MPG figures.

What's Hot

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    My old E320 CDi does over 40mpg and I thrash it constantly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the perspective ESBlonde, the Subaru has been cheap to run but for fuel, so I get the parallel.
    It is an amazing driving thrill, and a proper "sleeper" too, gives a shock to all those smug M3 owners, and most people with powerful cars don't know how to drive them properly so I have had the odd surprising scalp at the lights or on country roads too (not that I condone that sort of thing).  Also bitten off a bit much sometimes, so it used to go both ways.  I am not a hooligan though, just enjoy a spirited drive occasionally, if the circumstances are right (ie. safe to do so).
    But it may well be nearly time to rethink all that, and the Octavia does look reasonably spacious too, so thanks.
    Oh, and it's a long old time since I saw "ten bob" written down, gave me a nice warm smiley moment, that did.

One way to manage the high fuel prices and driving economically is to treat it as a game and therefore one of the fun things in life.
    Treating a journey as a challenge to adapt your driving style, seeing just how far you can push one tank of fuel.
    It certainly demands a different mind set, but with a change of perspective you gain a different view of being behind the wheel.
    I am certainly much more chilled in traffic nowadays.  And catching up with traffic that tore past a few miles before gives a certain smug satisfaction which goes someway to offset the old driving thrill.  (that used to be me!)
    I can barely believe I am saying all this, but you sometimes have to cut your cloth, as the saying goes.

Did a trip from the south coast, via Norfolk, to Glasgow, where I was doing something at the SECC about four years back, in my other half's 2L V6 sports car, on just a single tank, cruised down the hill towards Glasgow running on fresh air, but we made it.  Felt pretty elated at the reward for a frugal driving style, challenge met.

Anyway, there is money needed for guitars now...   and that's a fantastic new journey (well renewed anyway)

• ...and the flaw won? :ar!

I have no idea what mpg my car does or how I would find out. I do, however, have arguments with the Wearys about not opening the car windows at 70 on the motorway.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    edited November 2013
    ChrisMusic;87669" said:
    Just reading through this, I could almost cry at the 50+ mpg figures (glad I'm not the only one thinking in old money here)Mine is a regular old infernal combustion engine running on petrol at about a kidney and a half for a gallon.Subaru Legacy estate, import job with twin turbos, auto box and four wheel drive, and 25-28mpg is the best I can get by careful driving, really, really try to save fuel (most days now) and I can just squeeze 35mpg.  Maybe time for a rethink.

We also have a Subaru Forester of an age before they put naff engines in them (ours is a 2.0XT).

Again, the fuel economy isn't wonderful (30mpg is good), but for a 4wd off-roadable estate car, that hits 60 in c7.5 seconds with all the aerodynamic qualities of a brick, I'm actually surprised it does 30mpg!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    TBH I personally think life is far too short to be worrying about what mpg my cars do. I only know because they insist on informing me constantly all the time.
    Although it's probably got a bit to do with the fact that fuel really is a trivial cost when you own an Alfa...
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited November 2013
    Oh yes, been there, done that...

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    To be honest with everyone going this way, V8s are a bit of a bargain at the moment. Planning on chopping the old Merc in next year for something with a silly engine in it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17589
    tFB Trader
    If you don't do a lot of miles and you're old enough not to worry about the insurance you can buy some mental cars for beans.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My inner environmentalist is sad.
    My V key is broken
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    holnrew said:
    My inner environmentalist thinks it's better to drive an older gas-guzzler than buy a new more efficient car, since it takes more energy to make a new car than it will normally use in its life on the road - and certainly more than the difference between the two cars.

There are other considerations as to why modern cars are much better, though… practicality, safety, comfort, reliability etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    @TTony was absolutely on the money. 

Did a long run at 70 today with the climate control on "Eco". Got 43.7 MPG rather than 38.9 the last time I did the same drive!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    edited November 2013
    @TTony was absolutely on the money. 

Did a long run at 70 today with the climate control on "Eco". Got 43.7 MPG rather than 38.9 the last time I did the same drive!
    I know that car fairly well  
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    ICBM said:
    holnrew said:
    My inner environmentalist thinks it's better to drive an older gas-guzzler than buy a new more efficient car, since it takes more energy to make a new car than it will normally use in its life on the road - and certainly more than the difference between the two cars.

There are other considerations as to why modern cars are much better, though… practicality, safety, comfort, reliability etc.
    I agree, but if you're buying a car...
    My V key is broken
    tFB Trader
    By that merit the Defender must be the most eco car of all time. 

It's been being made for 65 years and 70% of them are still on the road!
    holnrew said:
    I agree, but if you're buying a car…
    Of course… just don't buy a new one *because* your old one is inefficient and for no other reason.

monquixote said:
    By that merit the Defender must be the most eco car of all time. 

It's been being made for 65 years and 70% of them are still on the road!
    It's probably not far off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited December 2013
    But if you buy an old car, you're not manufacturing a new car. Also you're implying that your old car is to be scrapped/recycled, but in reality it may be bought by someone else considering a new car.

Environmentally, running cars until they die is by far the best thing. As mentioned above, there may be other considerations with a new car. But consider this (which I can't actually justify but want so very badly) : http://www.sprintonline.net/bentley_turbo_r.htm

That's available for less than the price of a new Skoda Yeti... Insurance (yep I asked), was not much more than my current 20yo 2.0 Merc 190E. Low tax also. I have to admit that if it wasn't for the running costs and I've nowhere to store it, I'd be down there like a shot.
    tFB Trader
    That's lovely. 

You'd be fucked if it broke down though.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940

This picture makes it look like a leather and maple tank with a tiny view port up front
    Myranda said:
    This picture makes it look like a leather and maple tank with a tiny view port up front
    Not entirely inaccurate according to my dad, who has driven one (not the Turbo I don't think). It's like being inside a padded drinks cabinet.

ICBM said:
    Myranda said:
    Not entirely inaccurate according to my dad, who has driven one (not the Turbo I don't think). It's like being inside a padded drinks cabinet.
    Doesn't all of that sound brilliant though! Consider just how dull and similar all cars are now compared to that. Majesty I tell you!
    That's lovely. 

You'd be fucked if it broke down though.

Yeah, repairs are going to be scary. Just because it's under 20k now doesn't mean it doesn't cost what a 130k car costs to run/repair. Sadly the main reason I won't do it. That and it's down south. I think driving it back up north would bankrupt me in petrol costs.