Just found a photo of my old setup...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

This is my old setup, which I used with a Fryette Sig X when we recorded our Exegesis album. It's surprising how relatively simple it is!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DL-4 offering two types of reverse delay (with different note sync values) and a swell. And why the piss did I put my wah at that point in the chain? Baffling. Probably some buffering shit that I was trying to get around.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    A setup so old that camera focus had yet to be invented, using the famous early effect pedals of the '60s including the TC Nova pedal, Digitech Hardwire series and the pre-historic DL-4, found in a cave off the coast of Greece.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2013
    :))

I was more chin-stroking about how I used to not really give a shit about things like noise-floor and tone colouration... as long as the sounds were good.
  • Drew_fx;86942" said:
    :))

I was more chin-stroking about how I used to not really give a shit about things like noise-floor and tone colouration... as long as the sounds were good.
    If the sounds were good, you probably didn't have a bad noise floor, and maybe the tone colouration was a good thing.

Chin stroking, indeed...
    Nah, those Nova pedals - I have tried the delay, drive, and modulator - have insanely high noise floor. I just never realized it when I was using it, and then one I realized, it came off the board.

I still have it knocking around actually, but it needs fixing! Small job, just need to wire the switches back!!

But yeah; that was a good setup.
  • Nice. I've never tried a nova, but I'm quite keen on gated sounds for heavy rhythm anyway so I very rarely look at noise floor...

However, yesterday I tried a super cheap 20 quid digital delay (rebranded Joyo) and it had great tone on dry signal (the delay worked fine but sounded a bit bright and competitive). I then compared it with a mxr carbon copy which sounded brilliant but was so noisy! I wouldn't be able to gate it out.
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    However, yesterday I tried a super cheap 20 quid digital delay (rebranded Joyo) and it had great tone on dry signal (the delay worked fine but sounded a bit bright and competitive). I then compared it with a mxr carbon copy which sounded brilliant but was so noisy! I wouldn't be able to gate it out.
    Carbon Copy noisy? I've never noticed on mine
  • daveyh said:
    ThePrettyDamned said:
    Carbon Copy noisy? I've never noticed on mine
    This one definitely was, running from a battery too, so no ground loop or anything.  Sat in the loop of the amp, sounded wonderful but was just noisy when the gain went up a bit.  Never noticed it with other analogue delays, like the Memory Boy/deluxe. Maybe it was a dud?  Not a cheap pedal, though a million miles from boutique prices, and like I said, it sounded really nice.  Clear enough for gain, but soft and muted enough for clean stuff, too. 
    CC is a noisy pedal. I've tried two in the past; very noisy.
    Drew_fx said:
    V. Confused, mine isn't noisy at all.
  • daveyh;88871" said:
    Drew_fx said:

V. Confused, mine isn't noisy at all.
    You are either lucky, or both of us were unlucky! It was fine with clean and bluesy stuff, but when the gain went up, it just went... Well, noisy.

I'm going to guess these bbd chips are temperamental, but to be honest, I have not got a clue :)
    just thought, I don't use it in a loop though
    Or we just have a different idea of what noisy actually is maybe? Or maybe the way we're powering them. *shrug*
    I'm powering mine with a brick, nothing special as it's always done the job well. I think you must be right about the perception of noise though, I'm assuming two people with similar experience of different pedals have the balance of probability.