Dummy coils

juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
edited November 2013 in Making & Modding
Has anyone had any experience with dummy coils? I've been asked about doing one of these recently and wondering if anyone else had given this a go and what results they've had.

There seems to be two ways of doing this. One by using an pikey pickup with a bar magnet and iron slugs. Then pulling the magnet from the back to do it. http://frettech.com/dummy/

The other appears to be this using a coil of wire either located in the swimming pool: https://sites.google.com/site/stringsandfrets/Home/noise-reduction-for-sc-pickups/s-500-hum-cancellation

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    No experience, but I've always wondered why it wasn't a concept that took off more. One of my favourite guitarists, Thomas Blug, has one fitted to his no 1 strat.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    The problem is that there's no way of doing it without compromising the actual tone in some way, in a passive guitar. It's possible with actives, but some would say that compromises the tone anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10264
    tFB Trader
    I was going to say that ... all day :) ... that all of these solutions involve some degree of treble attenuation ... but I thought that would seem a bit partisan for a pickup maker ... so I let ICBM tell it like it is ...  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    My Suhr has the Silent Single Coil System and it also employs a tone and volume trimmer internally to balance it out...

I am not sure it's' worth it as I lose the middle reverse wound - in terms of tone loss, I asked for the bypass to be set up so I can pop it in and out - with a br micro and a lot of drive the difference is noticeable with a lot of other kit, not so much.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Idea abandoned ;) Cheers guys.