Volume rising and falling and a strange throat-clearing sound

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    It should be OK on a jack socket... you'd do better to use something like Servisol, as that is actually designed for the purpose. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Yep that's stuff I have in the shed :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    viz said:
    Lol thanks very helpful! It also started making the sound of a teaspoon hitting a dessert wine glass.

That's not the amp, it's Mrs Viz needing another Lambrini refill .

Cooking sherry more like.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    edited April 2014
    impmann said:

It should be OK on a jack socket... you'd do better to use something like Servisol, as that is actually designed for the purpose
    Yes, that's exactly what I use - but as I said, sometimes it leaves a pot too 'dry' (because it's more of a cleaner than a lubricant, and will wash out too much of the grease), and sometimes even a couple of goes does not permanently fix the problem, with both pots and jacks... at which point WD-40 usually will. I do always use the Servisol first, but if I didn't have any to hand it would probably be as good to go straight for the WD-40.

It definitely does not do any damage. I've been using it for 'difficult' cleaning for as long as I've been repairing amps, and never found any problems with it.

It's not impossible that you might have to replace a pot even after trying Servisol and WD-40, or that you might find a pot that smells of WD-40 and needs to be replaced, but that's because the track was most likely knackered in the first place...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Much as I detest google, I'd suggest you look up the use of WD40 on pots - it really isn't a good idea, long term. Seriously, its a disciplinary offence in this service centre to use it on a customer's unit...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2014
    I'd rather trust my own experience.

I don't have any problem with disagreeing with 'received wisdom' when I have enough practical experience which says otherwise.

But whatever :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    OK... you're fired! ;-)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I can't remember where, but I've seen vaseline spray recommended for stubborn pots. I haven't got round to trying any yet. Has anybody used it?
    Not for that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz;213330" said:
    Not for that.
    I thought it was perfect for making rough knobs nice and smooth again?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    i think i have the same issue with my mesa mark v. did the problem still persist even without anything plugged in the effects loop? also it might just a coincidental but when it happened to me the last time, i fiddled with the master volume and it seemed to go back to normal. 

i always have a fairly loud, sort of static sound when switching from standby to on though, like you have said.  

maybe its the same, maybe a suspect volume pot....
    Yes in fact it only happened when nothing was in the loop - that's how I eventually stumbled on the cause - the problem went away when I had effects in the loop. It's completely ok now.
    ah right! my problem is still there regardless of whether the loop is used or not. maybe mine is more likely becuase of the master volume pot perhaps. 

i'll try spraying both anyway. when im spraying the pot, will i need to spray it from the inside or will i get away with just taking the knob off etc? 

i hope this will solve it! wont cost me and i can do it myself.
    its been sat with my tech for 3 weeks because he hasnt had chance to take a look
    You have to do it from the inside.

okie dokie, thanks