One dead note?

What's Hot
I'm guessing it's one very partially lifting fret, but the high Eb (20th fret, G string) on my bass is buzzing like fook all of a sudden. It may have always been like that and I just haven't used that particular note before (entirely possible, Eb isn't a key I compose in often!)

Every other string on "all" the frets sings (I checked), so does my diagnosis sound right? If so, is it a "hit it carefully to re-seat the fret" type job (which I've done before), or should I entrust my nice bass to a proper tech?

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    20th fret? Do basses even have those?! If so, what on earth are you doing playing up there??!!

:)

Seriously, does it have a 21st fret which the string could be buzzing against? I ask because most basses don't - 20th is usually the last. If not, it's not the fret since the last fret itself will not cause a buzz, it must be coming from somewhere else.

The usual reasons would be a duff string, a resonance buzz coming from somewhere on the body/bridge which just happens to pick up that frequency, or the string buzzing between the fretted note and the nut.

If it's something that's happened in the hot weather I'd suspect the last. Try playing the buzzing note and damp the string behind your fretting finger.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited August 2013
    You could find a local tech who will create some 'fall away' around the upper frets, should be cheaper than a full fret level and might help with your overall action. If it is just one problem fret, he can twat it with a hammer before the level. :D

Keep an eye on the relief, truss rod adjustment might help, or even easier - try raising your action until the note comes alive again; if it's an acceptable height, leave it there and save yourself a few quid.
  • It's a 24 fretter, and none of my guitars have "dusty" ends!

Raised the action a bit and voila! And it's still lower than the recommended height from the Warwick instructional site :)

Wisdoms all round!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • ICBM;7856" said:
    20th fret? Do basses even have those?! If so, what on earth are you doing playing up there??!!
    I saw Richard Hawley on BBC4 a few years ago, saying that if he had his way, basses would have current running through the frets, which would get higher with each successive fret, until by the octave it became lethal....

An old friend of mine used to refer to bass players who ventured up the dusty end too much as 'treble players'....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Get a fret rocker from Stew Mac.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72314
    I saw Richard Hawley on BBC4 a few years ago, saying that if he had his way, basses would have current running through the frets, which would get higher with each successive fret, until by the octave it became lethal....
    I heard that too... although wasn't it Elvis Costello? (I could be wrong, or one of them could have just nicked the quote.)

I do actually play up quite high on a bass - above the octave occasionally, although I can't think of any time I go above 15. The difference is that I usually only use the bottom string :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein