Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Practice ?

What's Hot

How often do you practice? as a band or as an individual ?

Just realised we had a practice as a band in April or May, so hoping to get another this year(tomorrow night hopefully).

But thinking about it I just pulled my tele out to get some Christmas songs up together, and thought that's been inits case since last gig !

Do you guys have a practice regime on guitar or just when you play with band ?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    We try to gather weekly and pretty much get away with that.

That aside I just grab a guitar when in the house and learn what's needed re broadening set lists, and casual sofa noodling.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Casual noodling for about an hour a day, dedicated practice... Between 15 minutes and 3 hours, depending on my mood!
  • I'm still shit.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    I only really practice when I'm learning stuff for the band.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I only really practice when I'm learning stuff for the band.

Same here really, I should practice a lot more. Just a bit lazy.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647

i play between 1 and 4 hours a day when I'm in the country. 4 hours in the weekend obviously. but it's not normally very focussed practice though in the weekend I do push it on a bit, learn a new Al di Meola lick or something.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9986
    tFB Trader
    A very famous guitarist once said to me 'Practice ... Jesus no ... I have a bit of theory and a load of cocaine ... what do I need to practise for?'
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    not in a band so practise or nothing for me. I practise as much as i can and love it. Its all just a hobby for me, to some people its a waste a time but i enjoy it. I enjoy trying to improve my playing. Its probably more to do with loving the guitar than loving being in a band etc. Its a fantastic instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    After a summer off I'm now getting three bands off the ground at the same time, but whether I'm busy or not I almost never pick up a guitar unless it's something to do with work.
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    I'm still shit.
    Having heard you play, that's remarkably far from the truth.
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681

Somewhere around '89-'93, I was practising minimum 5hrs a day, 5 days a week, and at various times 3  x4hr rehearsals per week.

These days, not so much.

JAYJO said:
    not in a band so practise or nothing for me. I practise as much as i can and love it. Its all just a hobby for me, to some people its a waste a time but i enjoy it. I enjoy trying to improve my playing. Its probably more to do with loving the guitar than loving being in a band etc. Its a fantastic instrument.

Hear hear Sir.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

When I was taking lessons it was 2-3 hrs a night, without fail.

These days, less, although I play more when I don't feel like shit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Might depend upon how you define 'practice?' Actually hands on the guitar? Rehearsal (with a band or going through the set by yourself)?Refreshing the familiar ( scales, techniques,etc)? learning something new?

In my case not much and with diminishing returns as you go down the list. Sometimes its nice just to pick up the guitar and go off into being fake BB King or whatever and enjoy the moment - even if anyone listening wouldn't -although it doesn't result in any kind of learning or practice for anything else (indeed, it maybe 20 minutes spent reinforcing bad habits).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    20 minutes of joy, and time well spent, it seems to me.
  • viz said:
    Yep, I'm a fecking genius on the guitar when no one else is listening
    \m/
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • viz;90056" said:
    I agree. It's thanks to imitation (Paul Gilbert for me, even though I can't shred like he does) that I now like my vibrato - I used to do a very hard and fast one, but after pretending I'm Pg, it's more even and in time.

Vibrato is very underrated, I've heard otherwise excellent guitarists with serious chops let themselves down with weird vibrato.
    Everyone is :)
  • 10 hours a day when I was a teenager.

These days I just noodle every now and then, mostly using my fingers.

Think I need a rocking chair.
  • MosfedMosfed Frets: 25
    I try to actually practice daily, even if just for 15 minutes.  But usually most of my utility practice happens either when I am learning new material for our band or when football is on.  

I find football is a great way to spend 90 minutes playing scales over and over without getting too bored. Usually either I play unplugged or an acoustic.

Band practice is usually weekly.  We seriously need a more permanent space.