SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

FS: Replacement tele neck maple/rw

What's Hot
FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
edited December 2013 in Guitars £
It has always been my understanding a) MIJ/CIJ necks/pockets are a bit wider than MIM/MIA b) Japanese Allparts replacements are better quality than US. So I am a tad frustrated that a really nice 9.5" Japanese Allparts tele maple-rosewood neck I bought for my US body is a mm too small and there is a teensy gap visible on the top side (if you look hard).  Sure I could shim it and it plays beautifully although it would best suit someone who likes a slim C neck.  Ideally  I prefer chunky, and on balance I've decided that if someone else wants it I would be happy to sell or trade it on.

Fret-dressed - £125 delivered.  Or I could be interested in a swap/trade. WHY ?
"Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Provisionally dealt, subject to details
  • Deal not done, but decided to keep for now.

Instead I am looking to buy a nice maple tele neck :)
  • MIJ necks (particularly Fender, Allparts, and Tokai) are 55.5mm width at the heel - same as USA. :S

It's sounds more likely that your heel pocket is too wide perhaps? Have you checked the measurements?
  • I think the pocket has been widened.  However the neck it was accommodating is a JV (which I am thinking of chamfering down to put in another guitar). Any views on the advisability of that ?

In passing, the neck I have finally gone with in that body is a lovely chunky USACG (rw).  Really enjoying playing it and definitely given the guitar a more complex, airy tone.
  • Noooooo, never wreck the neck! Particularly semi-collectible ones like JVs!!!! What's the width at the 21st fret/heel? If you head down that path then it's near impossible to evenly take off wood, so your neck will be out of alignment. It's better to plug the heel pocket and re-route it, or use a new body!

USACG make some great stuff, I've still got a maple tele neck of theirs sat here waiting to be finished for a build. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FusionistaFusionista Frets: 184
    edited December 2013
    I'll measure it but at a guess 57mm (7.5" radius). 

Building a thinline at the moment - mahogany body/maple top (custom-made in the States for jazz).  Sadly the JV won't fit in it which is why I'm looking for another maple neck. Suppose I could widen the neck pocket of the new body, but rather not.

The JV is sweet though, plays beautifully, nice Fender logo, I'd be reluctant to sell it, or trade, except for something that I knew would work. Bit of a dilemma... 
    edited December 2013
    So...what I've done is bought another maple neck, so this rw remains for sale. I've re-used the tuners and the string tree so there's a couple of holes where the latter was.  But it is fret-dressed and standard 55.5mm. I'll do a pic at some point.

I suppose I might sell the JV maple neck as well...
  • llewllew Frets: 78
    How much you looking for?
  • As it says above (in line with guidance) Fret-dressed - £125 delivered.  

Had some interest in it from another on this Forum and promised him some photos, but what with one thing and another...
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Out of 60 strats I owned, nearly all of them had gaps in the neckpocket, about the width of a sheet of 80gsm paper.  Much more noticeable on a natural or light finish.

You should be able to slide a thin strip of 70gsm paper a good 3 mm down one side of the pocket.

edited January 2014
    Simon Law http://www.svlguitars.com/specifications would I think differ.  Unless I have misunderstood him, he thinks a good fit in the neck pocket is crucial.

That said, most of my guitars are not that 'tight' and I haven't noticed any difference in sustain or tone that I can attribute to 'better-fitting' necks.

Still, very much like to have one of his to find out :)

At the moment I'm on a tele jag, but there is a beautiful 'Custom Shop' surf green strat on EBay at the moment I really have the hots for (even though I've already got one nearasdammit wot I built myself ;)) )
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    Simon Law http://www.svlguitars.com/specifications would I think differ.  Unless I have misunderstood him, he thinks a good fit in the neck pocket is crucial.

A good fit I agree, but wood needs to expand...