Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Finest Metal Album of the 90's?

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
in Music tFB Trader
I'm inclined to say Burn My Eyes. 

Can anyone top it? 

This, Sepultura, RATM, Pantera, and Fear Factory were the early 90's for me :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Shit didn't think of that. 

Hmm you might have me there.. 
    ;)
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2013
    Drew_fx said:
    Aenima

Clear winner for me.

Honourable mention for Vulgar Display Of Power.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

For me Maiden's Fear of the dark

Although all the aforementioned albums are crackers.

In my old rugby playing days I'd always listen to Sepultura's Refuse/resist and Territory and Panteras Fucking hostile and Mouth for war, before playing.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I don't like Machine Head that much... unfamiliar with Aenima but will need to check it out. "Arise" and "Chaos AD" by Sepultura are great albums, and I love "Cowboys From Hell" too. The Black Album is an obvious one, but there's a reason for that I guess...

"Around the Fur" by Deftones, anyone? Or perhaps "Awake" by Dream Theater. We can't forget "October Rust" and "World Coming Down" by Type O Negative, or "Rust in Peace" by Megadeth.

Or "Heartwork" by Carcass... that's a stunning album, and certainly one of the most important metal albums in terms of the vast number of bands it inspired (it was among the first melodic death metal albums, and therefore is likely to have influenced many of today's modern metalcore bands, whether they know it or not).

I think my favourite is still "Ocean Machine" by Devin Townsend, but that's the best album ever so it was going to be tough to beat.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bucket - Agree on MH. I bought The Blackening because so many raved about it...and was bored rigid by it.

My controversial choice would be Anthrax's Sound Of White Noise.
    This era of the band is usually overlooked as it's their time with John Bush fronting the band - and in my eyes they became a more serious band, doing away with the cliche trappings they had before.
    Great album, maybe not "Metal" enough for the fans, though.

On a more traditional note, Slayer's high water mark for me was Seasons In The Abyss, which just about nudged into the 90's. They were never as good again.

That said, I have a huge soft spot for Down, and their debut, Nola, is their only release of that decade, so that definitely gets a worthy mention.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337

Stryper - to hell with the devil

I am joking you of course.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power
    Prong - Cleansing
    Sepultura - Roots

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My controversial choice would be Anthrax's Sound Of White Noise.
    This era of the band is usually overlooked as it's their time with John Bush fronting the band - and in my eyes they became a more serious band, doing away with the cliche trappings they had before.
    On a more traditional note, Slayer's high water mark for me was Seasons In The Abyss, which just about nudged into the 90's. They were never as good again.

That said, I have a huge soft spot for Down, and their debut, Nola, is their only release of that decade, so that definitely gets a worthy mention.

I agree with John Bush in Anthrax, better singer than Joey Belladonna.

Slayer were at a high point with SITA, which is slightly behind South of Heaven in my favourite albums of theirs.

I'd forgotten about Down too. Thanks for the reminder

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @Bucket - Agree on MH. I bought The Blackening because so many raved about it...and was bored rigid by it.

I agree... some good tunes but it drags on for far too long doing mostly the same thing. And that's their best album as well!
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited November 2013
    Pretty much agree with most suggestions on here, especially Pantera, Dream Theatre and Sepultura.  Black Album is a no brainer :)

I was going to say Waking the Fallen, but turns out that's 2003?! I'm getting old...

I'm going to throw a different one in that might get me flamed a bit - Korn, Follow the Leader.  Still listen to it to this day, and while it's not my chosen brand of metal to love, at the time, bands like this really inspired me to pick up a guitar, along with Hybrid Theory  (which just nudges into 2000).  Far from the finest, but definitely inspired.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    I think Burn My Eyes is a much better album than The Blackening.
  • Good Shouts:

Burn my eye
    Aenima
    Around the Fur

Sepultura wise I reckon Roots beats out Arise and Chaos AD.

I'll add the following to the mix:

Filter - Short Bus
    Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
    Pulkas - Greed
    Earthtone9 - Arc'tan'gent
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Slipknot from 99 was pretty good, too.  
    KoRn's Follow The Leader was a great album; so was Issues.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    edited November 2013
    I thought Burn My Eyes was epic when it first came out, but it didn't last the distance with me although Davidian is still a monster track.

Sepultura were my band, and it's between Arise and Chaos AD for me but Chaos AD just pips it.
  • I must be the only person on the planet who prefers Soulfly to Sepultura.

The mid-period ones - Prophecy to Dark Ages or so - are cracking

• Deep gratitude to @Drew_fx for posting Aenima, magnificent and playing now while I'm reading all this.

Some great music here to work my way through.
    Don't ask what happened to my 90s, sometimes life takes a wrong turning, or two, or...
    Looks like I am going to enjoy catching up though, as long as I've not peaked too early with Aenima.

:)