Another newb moment.

PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
  I'm sure you guys know this already, but it blew my mind earlier today.

I was messing around with the twin reverb model on my Mustang III,  just because it gets so many rave reviews on the Fender Mustang forums.  Turns out they were right- there's just something about it that sounds so perfect.

Just for laughs, I added in some fx pedals- inc my '78 Distortion.  WTF- there it was, the tone I'd been after for a while ( "Destination" from The Church.).  That Chimey as hell, pushed sounding clean.  I wasn't even after that- it just happened.

What I used:

Country Deluxe preset.  Reamped with the Twin Reverb, and turned the reverb up to 7.
 preset has a compressor, and the '65 classic Fender spring reverb active.

I added:
TC Corona Chorus.  Standard chorus mode, with tone, depth, and level right around noon, speed just past noon.
TC Flashback.  Slapback mode.  I didn't twirl any knobs, but they're all between 11 and 1.
MXR '78 Distortion.  tone just past noon, level at 9 o'clock, distortion at 12:30.  crunch switch on.

Here's the kicker- with both comp AND distortion- IT"S STILL CLEAN!  It's just so chimey, it's almost piano like, and it's VERY present- like an amp turned right up.  Never in a million years would I have thought a DISTORTION pedal was the key to getting that sound!  Comp and chorus, and likely delay, yes- but not dist.  Apparently, even the model of the twin reverb has obnoxious amounts of headroom.  Master volume was at 2, and it was pretty loud.

Yeah, the bass strings get a lil crunchy, esp if you play more than 1 at a time.  This riff however, is played on the high strings above the 14th fret, and there's no crunch at all.

It's cool how these things work together to give you sounds you'd never expect, huh?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Post a soundclip?
  • Pyroman said:

I added:
    TC Corona Chorus.  Standard chorus mode, with tone, depth, and level right around noon, speed just past noon.
    TC Flashback.  Slapback mode.  I didn't twirl any knobs, but they're all between 11 and 1.
    MXR '78 Distortion.  tone just past noon, level at 9 o'clock, distortion at 12:30.  crunch switch on.

Were these actual outboard pedals or software effects in "Fuse".  I have a Mustang I and after 2 years I'm still very impressed almost weekly by it.  I haven't even considered plugging in outboard pedals since I got it.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676

I'd never heard The Church - just spent a happy half-hour discovering them on YouTube.

I like Wire and Bauhaus and Psychedelic Furs and Magazine and stuff like that when I'm in the mood, so it's great to discover something else with that kind of feel.

•   They were the actual pedals.  I've never even used Fuse. lol.  I actually bought the III so I wouldn't have to. 

I'm sure the same results could be had using the onboard fx- the chorus and delay are pretty good.  Never tried the distortion.  You need at least 1 pedal though, as it took comp AND dist.   I just happen to have those pedals hooked up to the amp right now, so that's what I used.

As for the sound bite- trust me, you don't want to hear my playing... 
    Pyroman said:

I added:

Were these actual outboard pedals or software effects in "Fuse".  I have a Mustang I and after 2 years I'm still very impressed almost weekly by it.  I haven't even considered plugging in outboard pedals since I got it.

• DannyP said:

I'd never heard The Church - just spent a happy half-hour discovering them on YouTube.

I like Wire and Bauhaus and Psychedelic Furs and Magazine and stuff like that when I'm in the mood, so it's great to discover something else with that kind of feel.

These were/are(?) all great bands, I saw Psychedelic Furs in the 80's.  Other good ones (imo) are Echo and the Bunnymen and the first couple of Simple Minds albums.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay