Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boutique Amp Question

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    depends on a lot of things,   what you want it for.......... pro-recording,  demos,  just jamming with backing etc etc.  How good your ears are.............. features............  personally Im happy with what the THR gives me,  along with plug-ins for cuabse etc.............  Ive got cut down versions,  mrs bert uses the full blown V6.0
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks bertie

I will have a better look at the THR,but i am beginning to agree that a decent Emulator will be better/same
    as an Attenuated Amp.

I have Waves GTR3 - Guitar Rig 3 and Amplitube 3,i am seriously considering getting
    Amplitube Fender.

I am on a Mac and i use Logic Pro and have Waves plugins.

Alan

Forgot to say it's just for bedroom jamming and recording for my own benefit.
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    I'd sooner spend 2k plus on a good amp than I would a guitar. A bad guitar into a good amp will sound better than a good guitar into a crap amp... Boutique or not. Boutique has just become synonymous with expensive in most cases.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    perhaps theres some peeps on here near to you that could help/demo  things ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    The general opinion here is that a Miked amp is the best way to go,but as i can't do that I think 
    probably the Amp Sim is where i should stay.

That's why I mentioned Amplitube Fender,i think i have all the Amp Sims,i don't
    know of any more,other than those that lean towards overdriven sounds.

Alan

• I'd take a gander at scuffham s gear, it's the best sounding sim I've come across and i've tried most.
    Jackobean

Hi I did try Scuffham sim but i only want clean sounds and i couldn't get anything out of their software.

They did tell me last year that they were going to do an AC30 emulation,but nothing yet.

Alan

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

This..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • If you were planning on spending boutique money, how about a fender mustang modeller for jamming (which, apparently, has beautiful fender cleans) and a modeller on the compoota for recording? Best of both worlds, well under budget and solid state amps, like the mustang, are quiet.

The thr is wonderful, too, and they have a few models, one of which is geared more towards cleaner sounds. And they're great looking, which is nice if you want it in the living room!
    Hi Guys

Problem solved,just bought a Blackstar ID30 from a member on here.

Just picked it up.

Thanks for all the messages,they were helpful.

Alan

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Give us a review :)
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have amplitube Fender and it is OK if you want to play into a computer and listen through monitors or headphones. However, the Pro Junior model really doesn't sound like my real Pro Junior and certainly doesn't give the same playing experience. For my loud moments I use a Koch Twintone II, beatiful build quality and capable of superb cleans, dynamic crunch and dirty drive. My everyday squeeze however is my now modified Pro Junior (one of the good ones). High grade jointed pine cab, lacquered tweed and 2x10" Jensens. Off the shelf repairable, looks and sounds great and more than loud enough. Boutique is so subjective. What are you looking for for the extra money?
  • Wow, I admire you discipline Alan...

Looking at £2000 ish amps, and you buy a Blackstar ! Not wishing to be negative here, but keep us posted at to how it sounds.

Imho, amps are the one area where unfortunately I've had to spend some big corn. Still, good luck and each to their own.

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11889
    Hymnal said:
    I'd sooner spend 2k plus on a good amp than I would a guitar. A bad guitar into a good amp will sound better than a good guitar into a crap amp... Boutique or not. Boutique has just become synonymous with expensive in most cases.
    All true, the Epi Korean I have sounds stunningly excellent into a DC30, whereas I was never happy with my fancypants guitars into cheaper amps
    Hi Guys

I know it seems strange after all the talk of Boutique Amps,then i go and buy a Blackstar.

Well we all have to start somewhere,and i thought there was no point in buying an expensive
    amp just yet,better to go for an affordable one,then if i get into trouble with the neighbours
    or something does not sound right,then i can look for something better.

At the moment my choice of a Better amp would be a Mesa Express Plus 5/25.

That is the one i will probably get,and looking on the bright side,i won't lose out,as i now
    have a part ex which i bought for a very good price.

I haven't taken it out of the box yet,so give me a chance and i'll get back to you.

Remember this is my first amp in about 20 years,so go easy on me.

Alan

• Good luck with it. They're great sounding amps, first time I tried one I assumed it was a valve amp with a digital modelling effects section! So they do sound really great, and let the tone of the guitar cone through.
    Thanks,

I have heard a lot of good reports about Blackstar I had to try one.

Alan

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7334
    edited November 2013
    bobblehat said:
    asimmd said:
    I had forgotten about Laney,I had a VC30, excellent amp,also a Cornford Harlequin,that did nice clean tones. I am not chasing the early Shads sound,never have,maybe the answer lies not in a boutique but one of those forgotten gems I used to have. Alan
    I use a VC30 and the cleans are stunning.May be a good starting point and you would then have something to compare everything else to.

Robert Cray uses Super Reverbs for his cleans and Knopfler uses a Tone King Imperial - here is his amp on stage... look to the settings!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    asimmd said:
    ToneControl

If you read my post just above i think i have explained it quite well.

Not familiar with Robert Cray,but cleans like Knopfler maybe.

Alan

++Robert Cray uses Super Reverbs for his cleans and Knopfler uses a Tone King Imperial - here is his amp on stage... look to the settings!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>