Woops, NGD.............

What's Hot
dindudedindude Frets: 8537
edited August 2013 in Guitar

I had no intention of buying another guitar when I went to work yesterday, but in rare a quiet moment I did a bit of browsing, saw this in GuitarGuitar's used secton, press the correct sequence of buttons to make it go out of stock, then DPD banged on my door at 08:30 this morning with a parcel. Not bad considering the guitar was in Glasgow and I'm in London.

Been trying to quench my thirst for an occasional rock machine for over a year now, was in no big rush as I have something to tide me over, but I've always liked the look of these.

I'll do a write up in a week or so as I've learnt that NGD's are not the best time to write an objective review. But first impressions couldn't be better, it's absolutely mint condition, it feels like a quality piece that could hang with anything, and what I love about Charvel's is that you can still feel the hod-rodded Fender heritage. By the time you get to square edged body, flat-backed necks, locking trem type Ibanez's, you've lost me.imageimage

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013

sweet guitar sir, comgratumaltions on gettings an awesomes cousin to my own Charvel, I hope you have a lot of fun with it (I'm sure you will)

Also, the simplicity of a pup selector switch and a volume pot has a lot going for it. You won't mess around trying too many different settings, just simple tune it, choose your pup, hit the gas and rock......

As a little aside, Charvel pickups are pretty hot (at least the ones in Sammie are) and may take a little getting used to, don't be afraid to adjust the height of them, I did and it made a whole lot of difference....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    edited August 2013
    very nice :D

• McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    I likes that a lot Dan - very nice indeed.  Sparkly orange is an underused colour...

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I like the look of those, was a few on that there ebay a bit back but out of my price range.
    Congrats!
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    edited August 2013
    Very Nice Indeed.

Dave, all you can do is Edit the post. Thing that looks like a cog in the top right of the post in the grey banner above the smilie icon.
    ;)
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7141
    Orange.

Nice.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

First impressions? not a full review just first impressions please......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    edited August 2013
    First impressions then: Built very nicely indeed, neck pocket spot on, finish is very tidy and the orange looks great in person, the ebony fingerboard is a big slab, thicker than most I've seen, no obvious shortcuts or compromises that I can see, and it's sitting alongside a custom shop fender and a Gibson for comparison. 

The neck feels great, really comfy rolled edges and slim and fast but still not alien to a die hard Strat guy, nice weight at around 7.5 lbs. Sound wise, acoustically it's a lot like a good Strat, plugged in the neck pup is straty for sure, but a little crisper, the bridge is hot hot hot, and pushes my rig (not massively high of gain) into areas that my other guitars can't manage, so does the vintage hot (think early van halen) thing very well. Probably does crushing gain equally as well but that's not me ting. Overall I'm very impressed, and just as important, it has a great vibe about it.

@dindude, that's pretty much what I thought of Sammie when I first got it, I'm assuming the pup's are similar spec, so yep, the stupid massive gain thing is easily to do.

Very, very nice colour too.

I'd like to read a full review in a couple of weeks, it'd be interesting to compare 2 similar guitars (Sam's 2 'bucker/Floyd equipped)...

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    @mike_l it's a seymour JB in the bridge which is pretty pokey, what's yours, aren't they Dimarzios if I recall? Still not dissimilar though I would imagine.

Yep, Di Marzio's I can't remember the model though. I do know, the neck has a ceramic mag, and the bridge has Alnico5.

I'd estimate the output/tone to be pretty similar from both.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2356
    Lexie1 said:
    Very Nice Indeed.

Dave, all you can do is Edit the post. Thing that looks like a cog in the top right of the post in the grey banner above the smilie icon.
    ;)
    Thanks :) Yeah I know you can edit it, but I didn't think of deleting what I posted. Still not ideal, I still look like an idiot, but I suppose it's not just so obvious... :))
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    Nice gas well done that man!
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Awesome gas! I've got a bit of a guilty-pleasure soft spot for these  :)>-
  • I agonised over these for a long while! The headstock colour put me off in the end, and the heel (I was going through an Ibanez phase). This has awakened the demons. :-S Lovely!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    i have the same guitar as my number 1 , ridiculous value for money, and these limited wildcard hardtails a pretty rare, apparently the new Mexican version isn't even close. The bridge weighs about a pound on it's own which is good! enjoy and let me know how the neck single coil sounds, i have a mini HB in mine

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    That is awesome. I've been lusting after something with the H-S configuration and this isn't helping!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The guitarist in my band had one of these for a while - great guitar, fantastic for all kinds of rock/metal widdly stuff... but rather let down by a weak neck pickup.

If you're finding that as well, try a Duncan Li'l Screamin' Demon - it matches the bridge JB perfectly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited August 2013
    Dave_Mc said:
    EDIT: Aw cack I tried to post a bunch of times and nothing happened. Looks like it did post after all. And I can't figure out a way to delete it. Sorry
    :(
    No Problemo - blitzed 'em for ya !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Excellent & Retrotastic GAS !!!!!!  B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback