Rabea Sig

What's Hot
Not a fan of Dorje, but this looks like a lovely guitar.  Carved heel access, waxed finish, duncan pickups and a FR 1000 (which is a pretty decent Floyd, bested only by the OFR or Gotoh units.

Not cheap, but I think it still offers pretty decent value for money and quite a different offering from the usual £600 guitars (such as LTD, Fender MIK, Epiphone, etc).  Nice to see a more mass produced, non-boutique guitar with a waxed finish.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682

Yes, but is it 'Monkey Lord Approved'.

LOL Of course it is, they're in the same band!

• i like the look of this one too, it would make a good used buy for about £350

• i like the look of this one too, it would make a good used buy for about £350 £125
    I agree.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are Dorje actually a real band, or just a marketing tool for Chapman Guitars/Andertons and Rob's endless list of other gear endorsments?

The next step in his masterplan to take over the internet...

• I really like it. Pretty, good hardware, and (if it's anything like the other Chapman guitars) decent woodworking. Would be a good buy new, if you wanted a new rock guitar. I'd take it over a cheap Les Paul probably, which almost always come with awful pickups and the wrong pots...
  • i like the look of this one too, it would make a good used buy for about £350 £125
    I agree.
    Still more expensive than British Gas, Joule for Joule.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    Yeah, Chapman guitars are usually decent spec. The other guitarist in my band has an ML2 from both runs (the LP-type) and he loves them.

I like the control positions on the Rabea.
  • I'm guessing the hate is because of the Chappers connection... :p

Just saw it has an ebony board, too. Sounds like a really great guitar for the money. The fella is a pretty great player, too, from my limited experience seeing him. Far cry from Chappers.

•  
    I'm guessing the hate is because of the Chappers connection... :p

Just saw it has an ebony board, too. Sounds like a really great guitar for the money. The fella is a pretty great player, too, from my limited experience seeing him. Far cry from Chappers.

I actually don't mind him that much, and the ML-1/ML-2 do look pretty decent for the price. I had considered getting an ML-2 for venues where I don't want to take my Les Paul. However I really don't want the 'Monkey Lord Approved' lettering on the back of the headstock!

I watched Rabea review the Wampler Dual Fusion pedal on youtube last week, and he came across really well, and you're right, the spec on this one is really good.

• Why does any mention of any product demo'd by / associated with Andertons or Rob Chapman end up with a stream of childish name-calling?

So, you may well think the guy is a knob - fair enough. But please, keep it to youself. Or at the very least refine it to some Speakers Corner thread where you can troll to your heart's content.

I'm interested in discussions about instruments. I like hearing peoples opinions on this Rebea sig guitar, on whether it's good value, well built etc.

Why do I have to read endless streams of childish drivel?
    Get over it, guys.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3320
    You have to read it because it's a forum where people can freely Express their views on the subject. I may or may not agree with everything I read but use your internal filter and take from the comments what you will.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Why does any mention of any product demo'd by / associated with Andertons or Rob Chapman end up with a stream of childish name-calling?
    What name calling?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited November 2013
    Why does any mention of any product demo'd by / associated with Andertons or Rob Chapman end up with a stream of childish name-calling?
    What name calling?
    OK, this thread hasn't quite sunk that low yet but other threads have quickly descended into 'let's call Chapper's a twat' type threads.

As soon as the Chappers comments started again in this thread my heart sank and it was a 'hear we go again' moment. :(

I really have no problem with people disliking Rob Chapman (I may even fall into that camp myself?).

But I do find the constant personal sniping against Rob Chapman unpleasant to trawl through when we have a thread in the guitars section. What relevance are people's personal opinions about Rob Chapman's personality?
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Actually no-one called him a twat in this thread. 

So far.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1263
    edited November 2013
    Back on topic...

I'm really intrigued as to whether the Chapman guitars manage to live up to the stated aim of delivering better spec at a cheaper price by cutting out the distributer and working to smaller margins.

The guitars certainly look good on paper. The Rabea sig is about as far away from my own taste in guitars as it's possible to get (don't like Floyds, like tone controls, etc) and I don't really like the styling. But it does sound good when played by Rabea.

[edit] Took me a while to find it ... this is the best 'demo' of that guitar I've come across. It seems to handle some pretty diverse material very well ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSujLL1JJf4
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited November 2013

[edit] Took me a while to find it ... this is the best 'demo' of that guitar I've come across. It seems to handle some pretty diverse material very well ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSujLL1JJf4

Here's his review of the Dual Fusion, he uses a Strat then the Rabea sig. Great player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4y_Vsedm4&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLvwSyyxvV5CTOAidqCXNCUVH-HszzWmPp

• I like his longer rambling laid-back reviewing style and, yes, a very talented player.
  • i think it sounds good and to add a note of positivity i think Rabea is a fantastic player

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 682

But I do find the constant personal sniping against Rob Chapman unpleasant to trawl through when we have a thread in the guitars section. What relevance are people's personal opinions about Rob Chapman's personality?
    Because he's a self-promoting, self-important twonk and the idea of sig in this context gives it a weight that doesn't actually mean anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I quite like Rabea's playing as well. I watch a lot of the Andertons videos, Rob and the Captain can be annoying but they're better than a lot of the demo videos on YouTube. Certainly better than the usual home demos where the acoustic sound is the same volume as the amp.