Gibson are a shower of sh...

impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
Well, their aftersales service is toss, thats for sure.

I have recently purchased a pair of correct Gibson P90s for my SG Classic to replace the IronGears that are in it right now. This is complicated by the guitar having the 'batwing' mounts for the P90s (ie hung off the scratchplate). Apart from Lollar (who won't sell them separately) nobody in the known pickup world sells these mounts - not even Gibson themselves. So I bought a secondhand pair from the states.

Sadly one of the spire clips (u-bolt) that the height adjusters is missing and therefore I can't currently fit them. The vendor has been great about it (money off) but can't find the final clip. So I reasonably thought "Gibson still made this guitar last year, so they must have these in spares stock" and so I sent an email to their CS team. Who replied saying "we don't supply parts of this type. A Local hardware store should be able to help".

Errr - nope. If I could have sourced one from B&Q I wouldn't contacted the USA... And seeing as the thread of the screws is 3-48 UNC, the chances of finding something that small in the civilised world is nil.

So I asked them for any suggestions worldwide that would stock something this size and asked them to confirm what exact size of spire clip this is... to which I got a polite reply saying effectively "sorry we can't recommend anyone" and "we don't know the size". I don't even think they tried...

So... I've concocted a different plan... does anyone on here have a dead humbucker pickup (or just the base thereof) that takes US-spec height adjusting screws (3-48 UNC)  that I can pillage for the leg and then attach that with some araldite to the Batwing mount I have.

Yours, frustrated of Northants. :-)
Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Oh and in case anyone is interested - this is a picture of the pickup. The spire nut is the little black thing clipped onto the leg.

• RoxRox Frets: 2147
    Can't you just make a clip?  A small piece of metal, bent over drilled to the right size (and the screw should make the thread if the metal is softer than the metal of the screw).
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Or you could get a metric spire clip that's just a teeny bit bigger and modify it with a hammer (win!)
    They're not exactly precision engineering.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Or you could get a metric spire clip that's just a teeny bit bigger and modify it with a hammer (win!)
    Agreed - however, the metric equivalent of 3-48UNC is M2.5 and I can't find any spires that small. The centre bore of these is tiny.

I had considered making a clip, @Rox but the height screws aren't exactly case hardened... so I think they'd probably strip quite easily. But you might be onto something...

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    FX_Munkee said:

+1 I did this to sort an old Gibson Humbucker that someone had wrecked using screws that were too large.   I think I got a pair of clips from one of my sons wrecked toy cars.  They were the right size to fit the leg but wrong 'ole and thread size .... Bashed with a hammer then used the screw to make it all "fit"   Still holding after 3 years.
    I shall have a look through my crap in the garage to see what I have left over from restoring my car... and report back...

Thanks for the advice, guys.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

RS do these: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/captive-nuts/0525127/

And there's these: http://componentparts.co.uk/U%20Nut.htm

Both of those go to #4 (M3 ish). I'd have thought those would do?

• These spire clips are common in the automotive world, try a supplier to the motor trade, even halfords might have some
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    Martin got in before me but yes, I'd say go for #4 and a bit of battering should get you there.
    on't'bay
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Thanks guys - appreciated. I'm into old cars too and I have similar in the garage but a bit bigger than fitted to the pickups, I think. I'll give it a go tonight - nothing to lose and all that. :-)

• get in touch with 12th fret 

http://www.12thfret.co.uk/

They are a Gibson repair place thingy
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.