Samson Servo 200

I've used one as monitor amplifier in  my studio for the last 6 or 7 years. Good quality, always worked whenever I turned it on. It has just started delivering ... nothing. I suspect the protection circuit, especially as this afternoon I heard a lot of relay clicking coming from it. I intend getting it checked by the bloke who usually fixes my electronics when they go wrong, but in the meantime if anyone has experienced this before and knows a quick fix, please let me now.
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    edited November 2013
    The quickest fix is to take it to the nearest dump which has an electronics recycling section :).

Probably a shorted output transistor (or more than one) if the relays are constantly clicking after the power-up delay. Might be just about economical to fix it, but you could easily pick up another one secondhand for about the same price.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited November 2013
    you don't like them, then, @ICBM?

EDIT: if it were ONE shorted device would BOTH channels be down? (I don;t run it in bridged mode)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    edited November 2013
    Not really. They sound OK, but they're not very well-made - they're about the same quality as a typical cheap hi-fi amp but sold as a professional power amp, which they are not. There's a dead one at the shop with exactly the same fault as yours (assuming it's blown transistors - this one is), I can't remember what I quoted to fix it but the customer declined.

You'd be as well off getting a half decent hi-fi amp really - you can get any number of old Japanese ones from the 70s and 80s for peanuts... and which will probably sound better than the Samson too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I've got a Sansui stereo ("HiFi") amplifier somewhere and I'm not averse to using it for this purpose. ATM I'm driving the Samson from the main L/R outputs of s Studiomaster Series 5 desk, and in turn it drives a pair of Tannoy Reveal monitors. Problem solved if I can swop the Sansui for the Samson.
  • I may have identified another use for the Sansui amplifier. tbh I'd rather have something rack-mountable simply because that's the most convenient place to put a studio-resident monitor amplifier.  Are these any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Europower-EP1500-2-x-700W-Behringer-Power-Amp-Suit-Band-PA-Mobile-DJ-Setup-/111238858129?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19e65a4591
    edited December 2013
    Don't know, I've never seen one alive or dead :). 700W (even into 2 ohms - into 8 it could be as low as a quarter of that) is a lot of power, so if it's built to deliver that it should be happy at a lot less. Behringer doesn't exactly have a reputation for quality though...

• @ICBM well yes, I don't think I'd take one out on the road, but I know of people who use Behringer kit in their own single-user personal studios and seem to be quite happy with it for that purpose 
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Have a look at Richer Sounds for a hi-Fi amp.

Cambridge Audio seem to have a good name and they are not too expensive.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26567
    edited December 2013
    If it helps, I use a Denon micro-hifi unit as an amp driving my Tannoy Reveal monitors, and it does a damn good job. The UD-M3 is an awesome bit of kit, it just had a couple of flaws: the CD player has a habit of dying, and the volume control gets very erratic.

These flaws make for a brilliant side-effect - you can pick up "faulty" ones on eBay for next to nothing (I got mine for £20), and they make a brilliant flat amp for home studio work.

Here's a decent example:

EDIT: ...and a better example, where the amp is definitely working:

They're also handy if you need to switch sources...
    <space for hire>
  • fanx gentlemen :)