Pop song shredding

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
So, Iin the cover band, we finish our first set with Ghost by Ella Henderson. Ive been shredding some basic pentatonic stuff over the outro part of the song which are the following four chords repeated: 

F# minor 
D major
A major
E major

So I was trying to find out what would work well in terms of scales etc. Looking at it there, it seems like its from  G major but the F# minor pentatonic works really well over it so Im not 100% sure what type of "sound" this is modally. 

Help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited December 2015
    F# Aeolian
    (It's from A major, no?)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited December 2015
    Yep TR. or copy the shred solo from Adele's Hello, if there is one
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    viz said:
    copy the shred solo from Adele's Hello, if there is one
    If there isn't, there should be.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha, 20 min solo in the middle
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Haha, 20 min solo in the middle
    I meant right over the bits where she whines............

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Out of interest how did you go about deducing it was in G major?  To be in G the chords would have been -

• F#dim
    • D
    • Am
    • Em

I'm just curious as it's a fairly simple VI - IV - I - V progression so something is off in your understanding that folks here might be able to help with.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • I was going to post 'but it's in A major' earlier but forgot :\"> Any mode derived from A major should work but if you are shredding rather than following the chords you might get some unintentionally 'outside' notes. Eg F# aeolian would give you a major 7th against the A which might stick out a bit. F# minor and A major pentatonic should be pretty foolproof (and are the same notes!).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    I was vry

Out of interest how did you go about deducing it was in G major?  To be in G the chords would have been -

• F#dim
    • D
    • Am
    • Em

I'm just curious as it's a fairly simple VI - IV - I - V progression so something is off in your understanding that folks here might be able to help with.

I tell what I did there, I saw the F# and my head went

"Oh look, G, A, B, C, D, E, F#" which was clearly nonsense because F# min doesnt make that work at all. I should have updated it when I realised 5 mins later lol

So, its A major/F# minor, fab