New acoustic on the cards.

What's Hot
GruGru Frets: 339
To cut a long story short, I have a Lorenzo western guitar (model currently escapes my memory) but I have had it for about 12+ yrs or so. From what I can gather it doesn't have a solid top, it cost me all of £85, and earlier this year I noticed a massive bulge around the bridge. I decided due to cost and its personal value I decided to fix the bulge with a Dr Bridge. All went well, pretty easy to fit and bulge gone in about 45 minutes. The sound had come back and I was pretty happy with the result for minimal outlay.

However, I took the guitar out last night and it appears that the Dr Bridge is starting to fail under the strain. Basically the thread of the plastic sleeve in the wood has started pushing through the wood under the pressure of holding the bridge up. In a way this isn't a surprise, but it does make me question whether I just need to forget the sentimental value for a moment and think about the long term playability of a decent accoustic.

Its a shame, I am going to look at the guitar tomorrow to see if I can save it, but if not, it may be time to bite the bullet.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13566
    its christmas,   treat yerself to something new (or used, better still)  go on, you know it makes sense
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • divide £85 by 12 & it shows what good value the guitar has been, turn it into a wall clock & buy my taylor gs mini instead, mike b.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Ha ha, nice little sales promotion there :-). No you are right, it works out at somewhere around 61p a month which is stupid. Don't think I have the heart to turn it into a clock although my wife has a thing about clocks (good job I check for typos). We had about 5 on the wall at one point but now down to 2, I wouldn't want to try and have 5 guitars at the same time, I can already imagine the conversations I would be having.
  • Gru said:
    Ha ha, nice little sales promotion there :-). No you are right, it works out at somewhere around 61p a month which is stupid. Don't think I have the heart to turn it into a clock although my wife has a thing about clocks (good job I check for typos). We had about 5 on the wall at one point but now down to 2, I wouldn't want to try and have 5 guitars at the same time, I can already imagine the conversations I would be having.
    Laughing at the clocks joke. ;)

I started with one guitar and now have four. I've found it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

With that in mind buy my Faith Mercury (seeings as we're all plugging).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited December 2013
    The23rdman said:   I've found it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D
    That is oh so true, (unfortunately).   Have a wisdom on me for that life skills little gem.

I sort of have the opposite problem,   mrs bert always encourages GASage.........to the tune of 2 if not 3 guitars I wasnt really GASing for at the time..................(Taylor 614 was one !!)   but she's crafty..............a few weeks later she'd go........."well you know that xyz you bought last month, well I saw a abc I just had  to have............."

Ive learnt my lesson
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    ^ :))

I still reckon that's a far better situation to be in than not being allowed to buy anything.
    the23rdman, of all the guitars you could offer, it had to be a faith mercury! The one that I would really consider, I may just need to check out your classified. I have yet to try and save the Lorenzo, a job for this weekend if I get a chance. There is a distinct possibility that if I fix it, it will fail somewhere else, wherever the next weakest link is I guess. Maybe the top is just to far gone? In the meantime, I might just pop over to the classifieds. :-)
    Gru said:
     faith mercury! 
     I have one, they're great
  • bertie said:
    I sort of have the opposite problem,   mrs bert always encourages GASage.........to the tune of 2 if not 3 guitars I wasnt really GASing for at the time..................(Taylor 614 was one !!)   but she's crafty..............a few weeks later she'd go........."well you know that xyz you bought last month, well I saw a abc I just had  to have............."

Ive learnt my lesson
    Luckily it works the other way round too.

Oh, why don't you just treat yourself to that (fill in - desired shoes, dress, handbag, night out with Robbie Williams, etc), you've wanted it for ages (at least a week since the last one IIRC, (not the night out)), you really do deserve it you know.....

Mean while finger poised above the latest classifieds / shop / Gumtree etc GAS object of desire.

So how could she complain now ?  
    ;)

• Gru;99476" said:
    the23rdman, of all the guitars you could offer, it had to be a faith mercury! The one that I would really consider, I may just need to check out your classified. I have yet to try and save the Lorenzo, a job for this weekend if I get a chance. There is a distinct possibility that if I fix it, it will fail somewhere else, wherever the next weakest link is I guess. Maybe the top is just to far gone? In the meantime, I might just pop over to the classifieds. :-)
    It sold last night. Fortunate for me, less so for you! I did love it, but the Recording King ROS-627 I replaced it with is a step up tonally. Actually, that may be unfair as I'd need to have tested them both with the same strings to be sure.
  • ChrisMusic;99040" said:
    The23rdman said:   I've found it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

That is oh so true, (unfortunately).   Have a wisdom on me for that life skills little gem.
    Cheers! I wish it was my original quote, but I do find it works. ;)
    Its no problem as it was out of my price range tbh. Glad you sold it.
    Luckily it works the other way round too.

Oh, why don't you just treat yourself to that (fill in - desired shoes, dress, handbag, night out with Robbie Williams, etc), you've wanted it for ages (at least a week since the last one IIRC, (not the night out)), you really do deserve it you know.....

Mean while finger poised above the latest classifieds / shop / Gumtree etc GAS object of desire.

So how could she complain now ?  
    ;)
    TBH I really dont suffer GAS that much,  Ive got pretty much all I want.  Save a few little odds and sods
    Well I had a go at fixing the dr bridge today. It wasn't that bad but it was obviously under more stress that it was designed for. However, not long after re tensioning the strings the fixing was back under too much strain again and it has started to push out again. Nevermind.

At least I know its not really worth wasting more time over. Maybe I won't replace it just yet, but its certainly a good excuse for another guitar ;-)