Custom kit thoughts

What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10342
    tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel;913910" said:
    Personally I would like to see the neck heel area of the 'Tele' variant a lot more blended in. To my sensibilities there is little point in a set neck on a Tele or Strat type guitar without gaining a
    smoother neck body transition.
    Hi Ash, I had a conversation with you about doing kits and pickups etc a while back.

Once I've got some stuff out the way I'll be talking to you again.
    I've got a limba tele body cut out so doing something like that to try is no problem, I've never been keen on single coils either so might put p90's in it, it's having a burst too, I was thinking about carved top tele's.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers Darren.

Nice to speak again Darren. Well, P90s are single coils too strictly speaking, but I know what you mean :-)
    Always happy to chat to new makers ... I have a lot of pickup prototypes that haven't even seen the light of day yet ... so PM me when you are ready.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3290
    tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel;914088" said:
    customkits said:

TheGuitarWeasel;913910" said:Personally I would like to see the neck heel area of the 'Tele' variant a lot more blended in. To my sensibilities there is little point in a set neck on a Tele or Strat type guitar without gaining a

smoother neck body transition.

Hi Ash, I had a conversation with you about doing kits and pickups etc a while back.

Once I've got some stuff out the way I'll be talking to you again.

I've got a limba tele body cut out so doing something like that to try is no problem, I've never been keen on single coils either so might put p90's in it, it's having a burst too, I was thinking about carved top tele's.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers Darren.

Nice to speak again Darren. Well, P90s are single coils too strictly speaking, but I know what you mean :-)Always happy to chat to new makers ... I have a lot of pickup prototypes that haven't even seen the light of day yet ... so PM me when you are ready.

Thanks Ash, I'll have quite a few things to try but I'll probably give you a call for pickup choice advice and when I'm ready bring some stuff over to you to try if you want.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    First tele pic blatantly has a vagina on it.
  • I've spent ages looking at Warmoth in the past, mentally assembling my perfect guitar.

I'm definitely more of a modernist though. I like a flatter radius, 22 frets, a proper tensionable Trem arm and locking tuners. I tend to gravitate towards Noiseless pick ups too.

It's probably why I was thinking of building my own. The vintage thing is everywhere, but to get a good Strat with modern improvements is not as common and usually more expensive. Maybe the Fender Deluxe series as an example.

Good luck with your venture, I'm sure you'll work out a niche that works for you. The examples above look great.

tFB Trader
    underdog;916293" said:
    First tele pic blatantly has a vagina on it.
    Probably why I like It so much

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    ElectroDan;916327" said:
    I've spent ages looking at Warmoth in the past, mentally assembling my perfect guitar.I'm definitely more of a modernist though. I like a flatter radius, 22 frets, a proper tensionable Trem arm and locking tuners. I tend to gravitate towards Noiseless pick ups too.It's probably why I was thinking of building my own. The vintage thing is everywhere, but to get a good Strat with modern improvements is not as common and usually more expensive. Maybe the Fender Deluxe series as an example.Good luck with your venture, I'm sure you'll work out a niche that works for you. The examples above look great.
    That's why I thought set neck Tele, strat type which you can customise.
    Choose whatever combination you want, I tend to choose more custom build wood too, I want light resonant good looking guitars you can't buy.

I'll post pics of Paul's strat up, it's hss, this is a trial but will have 2 f holes on a final build

Thanks.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited December 2015 tFB Trader
    I'm not a modernist but I'll be asking what people want so I can put something together for people to try.

Can someone define modernist to me please.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    tFB Trader
    Hi here's mock up of a strat style we are working on, it's a limba body and neck with a madagascan board.
    Humbucker and 2 single coils, split coil and blow switch.
    It's our own headstock shape that's angled, i know most people won't like it but i would like feedback.

I don't drool over fenders so i don't look at them in the same way but i like the comfortable body shape and something different to what i've been doing, a nice flat top guitar is appealing to me now having done 4 carves by hand.

There will be a tele special coming soon in limba.
    I posted in guitar section for feedback.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2016 tFB Trader
    Here's a darkburst 59 and jeff beck style.
    The jeff beck is old african and eastern maple amazon board weighs about 8.2lb no weight relieving the darkburst is honduran and eastern maple madagascan board and weighs 8.6 no weight relieving.
    I think the old african is better balanced, it's jangly but not harsh like the darkburst.
    It's about tone testing and more to come

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Both are beautiful guitars and I really like the Oxblood one.  

edited February 2016 tFB Trader
    Thanks, I wasn't sure about that one, it's not an oxblood it's black with a dark cherry back, for a guy that bought my first one.
    Now it's done I really like it.
    The darkburst is my favourite colour I've done so far, just don't love that particular honduran tone.
    There's more to come Inc the above strat and tele special if I get a move on.
    Still need a website sorted, not enough time as usual.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Thanks, I wasn't sure about that one, it's not an oxblood it's black with a dark cherry back, for a guy that bought my first one.
    Now it's done I really like it.
    The darkburst is my favourite colour I've done so far, just don't love that particular honduran tone.
    There's more to come Inc the above strat and tele special if I get a move on.
    Still need a website sorted, not enough time as usual.
    Is there any chance the different fretboards might have a impact on the tone?  I generally spend most of my time in the acoustic guitar side of things and I believe there is fair amount of difference between Amazon and Madagascar Rosewoods.  I saw the bridge and the words Jeff Beck and immediately though Oxblood! 

What is the old African Mahogany?  Is it Khaya or Sapele?  

What pickups did you use as well?  

Great work though and good luck with getting a website sorted! 
    tFB Trader
    The mahogany looks different to older khaya I've got, it's lighter in colour.
    This stuff is old non plantation african mahogany, it had been over here 30 yrs before I got it.
    It's really light weight too, mine are coming out under 8.5lb or lighter.
    I don't think the boards are making that much difference, I'm building 4 with the old mahogany, 1 Brazilian board, 2 amazon boards and 1 madagascan.
    I've already got the madagascan one strung up and it has the same tonal qualities of the Jeff beck one, which has amazon, they sound different to the honduran darkburst which has the madagascan board.

Darkburst had bareknuckle mule, not a great paf imo, the neck was a bk mule rewound by shed, night and day difference.

Jeff beck has Zhangbuckers, necks dead getting rewound tomorrow then I'll do some more sound clips.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3005
    I too love that OxBlood one !

I'm sure you've already done it and failing that it's proably already been mentioned in this thread but did you look at Precision Guitar Kits and their pricing ?

https://buy.precisionguitarkits.com/

It strikes me that they're the closest in terms of offering a similar product/service to what you're offering, I've been tempted by their stuff in the past as the pricing seems pretty fair but from memory shipping & import duties seem to push the prices up a fair bit. If you could come in at similar prices to them you might have a win !

FWIW I'd love a Firebird I replica kit, all holes drilled Neck & Body done & just waiting paint & assembly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    No precision don't offer what I'm offering, these are correct dimension replica bodies and necks taken from vintage dimensions.
    Precision offer a les paul style but if you want an accurate replica there aren't any kits I'm aware of over here.
    These people know what they want, they are not a cheap kit to put together.
    All routes are done exactly how they were done, vintage carve etc, there's alot of work goes into them.
    There not for everyone that's for sure.

In terms of kits etc I want to bridge a gap between a bolt on job and a full custom build, they definitely won't be a cheap alternative, they'll be a high end kit, there's no cnc, I make them all by hand well and a pin router.
    The end product is more important than knocking loads out.

Pm me about a firebird if you're serious.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    No precision don't offer what I'm offering, these are correct dimension replica bodies and necks taken from vintage dimensions.
    Precision offer a les paul style but if you want an accurate replica there aren't any kits I'm aware of over here.
    These people know what they want, they are not a cheap kit to put together.
    All routes are done exactly how they were done, vintage carve etc, there's alot of work goes into them.
    There not for everyone that's for sure.

In terms of kits etc I want to bridge a gap between a bolt on job and a full custom build, they definitely won't be a cheap alternative, they'll be a high end kit, there's no cnc, I make them all by hand well and a pin router.
    The end product is more important than knocking loads out.

Pm me about a firebird if you're serious.
    I promise no offense was intended dude, my point was more that for us home builders whilst there are a plethora of options for someone looking to 'bolt together' a Fender type bitsa should we wish to go down the route of a Gibson style glue or thru neck, other than the cheapies you see over on BYOGuitar options are pretty slim and that in that arena PGC does seem to be one of the few options that is currently available.
    I'd point out that they do also do SG's V's & Explorers and I think that @PVODave has done one of their Explorer and V builds so might be well placed to comment on their relative quality & accuracy.
    I don't doubt the amount of effort that goes into your guitars either, I'm sure they're great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Can you email me on customguitarkitsuk@gmail.com.
    I wouldn't mind discussing what sort of money would be reasonable for different set neck kits, I'll see if I can make It a viable alternative.
    It was the set neck stuff I wanted to do as most people don't have the tools etc to put them together, it's also getting into custom shop territory.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    DrBob said:
    I'd point out that they do also do SG's V's & Explorers and I think that @PVODave has done one of their Explorer and V builds so might be well placed to comment on their relative quality & accuracy.
    I don't doubt the amount of effort that goes into your guitars either, I'm sure they're great.
    Quality is amazing, they are not accurate though, the headstock shapes are the biggest let down on the precision kits, for legal reasons I understand. 
    I wouldn't mind discussing what sort of money would be reasonable for different set neck kits, I'll see if I can make It a viable alternative.
    It was the set neck stuff I wanted to do as most people don't have the tools etc to put them together, it's also getting into custom shop territory.
    I will email you when I get a minute, If I'm being honest I'm not in the market right now, got a few bits to sell off, got to get paid for my last round of work etc etc, but if you want to hear the musings of an inveterate self builder I'd be glad to share them !
    tFB Trader
    DrBob;967503" said:
    customkits said:

I will email you when I get a minute, If I'm being honest I'm not in the market right now, got a few bits to sell off, got to get paid for my last round of work etc etc, but if you want to hear the musings of an inveterate self builder I'd be glad to share them !

Any musings are welcome, just trying to gauge peoples interest, I'm not sure cost wise but it does depend on what's wanted ultimately.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)