Comments

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    From the listing:
    I don't think you can name another More Famous Guitar on earth for sale at this time?

Peter Green's Les Paul?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with that copy of Guitar Player magazine. Who IS Eric Johnson? Or rather, why is he rated so highly? 

I'm aware of (and like) his signature Fender Stratocasters but I couldn't hum any of his tunes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    I think his most famous song is cliffs of Dover, I've heard it quite a few times. Don't think I could hum it though.

Very clever but not my sort of thing, used to dress a bit funny too! @-)
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    That guy has been trying to sell that guitar for ages. I guess Eric Johnson just isn't a big enough name to justify asking that sort of money for a '62 strat. There are plenty currently listed on ebay 50-60,000 dollars less than that one.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Eric Johnson, my take: seriously good guitarist who showed great promise in the late 80's / early 90's so long as he didn't attempt to sing. Then he fell into a downward spiral of perfectionism that saw 9 years between albums that when eventually released were largely a pile of doo doo's. his latest release is an erm, ammendment of an album he realised a few years ago! Saw him live last year and it was pretty painful. I wouldn't be surprised if this sale was for food and clothes, its certainly not for charity. Sounds harsh I know, I was his biggest fan when I was 16 years old, it's tragic he hasn't achieved more in his career, was truely an astonishing guitar player at one point.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660

dindude said:
    Eric Johnson, my take: seriously good guitarist who showed great promise in the late 80's / early 90's so long as he didn't attempt to sing. Then he fell into a downward spiral of perfectionism that saw 9 years between albums that when eventually released were largely a pile of doo doo's. his latest release is an erm, ammendment of an album he realised a few years ago! Saw him live last year and it was pretty painful. I wouldn't be surprised if this sale was for food and clothes, its certainly not for charity. Sounds harsh I know, I was his biggest fan when I was 16 years old, it's tragic he hasn't achieved more in his career, was truely an astonishing guitar player at one point.

That's not a million miles away in all fairness. The 'Live in Austin Texas' dvd from 1988 is a stunning display of virtuosity but post 'Ah Via Musicom' releases are patchy at best. I too saw him on last years tour and there's no way you could argue he's as good as he once was. Like you said, he should have achieved more.

• jatgtr;8214" said:
    I think his most famous song is cliffs of Dover, I've heard it quite a few times. Don't think I could hum it though.

Very clever but not my sort of thing, used to dress a bit funny too! @-)
    IIRC he played it on an SG....
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    'Twas played on an ES335 I'm pretty sure, certainly not a Strat.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    This Strat has been on Ebay for years. I think its okay, but don't care for Eric Johnson myself.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• Nice guitar.

But £65K? No way!

It'll take a serious EJ nut to stump up that sort of cash.

EJ isn't as famous/highly regarded as the seller is trying to convince us.