low watt amp with emulation out?

grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
edited December 2013 in Amps
Due to time constraints and a grumbling wife I've had to sell my beloved DT25. It was the perfect amp but no emulated out or headphones available for late night recording or practising. I don't know what's out there but I'd like a 2 channel amp with nice cleans and plenty of gain that has emulated/headphone out, doesn't have to be tube but I've found most digital or solid state lacking on cleans. I play alt verging on metal but also really aappreciate good cleans. My guitars are mustang and jaguar. Can someone point me in a direction? Budget is around £400
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you actually need an amp? If you have an audio interface to plug pedals into, you could do a lot worse than the AMT Legend Amps 2 range. I use an AMT C-2 for all my recording preamp needs - it has an emulated out which is decent, but sounds even better with cab impulses. I shall, of course, be getting a P-2 as well. Just because ;)

Along similar lines, there's always the Laney IRT Studio - again, you'd need a computer or a headphone amp.
    <space for hire>
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Thanks for the reply but I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to amps and that's confused me, the least knobs to spin the better for me.
  • Then...in all honesty, you're probably limited to the Blackstar HT-1 and HT-5 :)
    <space for hire>
  • Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5 (or the 18 second-hand)?
  • Would it double as a gigging amp?
    If not, I'd suggest you look into the Yamaha THR10 series. :)
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I played a Ht1 Blackstar at the weekend and it was cool.  No metal bottom end if that's your bag, but I really liked it for overdriven twangy tones. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    Cheers chaps, giging days are a pipedream at the moment so really only for home use. I've had a ht5 in the past and thought the cleans to be Shit but I'll have another try and see if I've changed, maybe the emulated out isn't needed as much as headphones but I guess you don't get one without the other or their technically the same?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    edited December 2013
    For £400 you'd be able to get a Mesa Dual Caliber DC-2 or possibly DC-3. These have emulated outputs and headphone jacks, and sound great with Mustangs and Jaguars. (I used a DC-5 in my 'Short Scale Fender period', mostly with a Jag. ;) ) Of the two I would get the DC-3 if you can since it has a graphic EQ which makes a big difference to being able to dial in great tones, especially on the lead channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13

There's all sorts of solutions from buying a different amp to buying one or two extra devices for your existing amp .

Personally Ive got the option of using a dummy load on my valve head and either using a speaker emulation on the FX send or on the DI  line out of my power attenuator .

If im honest I feel the head is being wasted on speaker emulation as they always sound over compensated compared to pedals or multi fx but I havent tried them all .

If your simply trying to keep gear acquisition to a minimum at low cost lots of people seem to like the Roland Cube range , I think they have headphone sockets ?!

Flown the nest .