Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cheap Semi recommendations (Again)

What's Hot
Hi ALl,
I know this has been posted before but I can't find the old thread.

I am currently on the look out for a cheap semi. Max budget around £200 secondhand.
Would like something thats playable and worth upgrading in the future.

Would ideally like to hear from anyone who currently owns one or who has owned one.

Any help much appreciated,
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There has been some talk recently of a shine you can get for 95 quid. For that money, you can easily replace the stock bridge with a much better one and even pop some better tuners on (Wilkinson?) and hit your 200. Or just do the bridge and pickups for irongears.
  • I recommend a copy of Razzle.

Also, maybe an Ibanez artcore?
  • Ibanez Artcore range - should be plenty of choice for around £200 s/h.

I got an Ibanez AGS83B for £300 new about 6-7 years ago (discontinued now, I think). It's become my go-to guitar.
    The pickups weren't the best (though not entirely awful) and I've upgraded to Seymour Duncans but the rest of the hardware is fine.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    There was a lovely washburn around classified recently. Well cheap. Not sure if its still there but very good guitars.
    Id also be checking the epiphone 339 with coil taps.
    The peerless epiphone rivieras are as good as it gets imho. (Without spending grands)
  • Shine, Washburn or maybe an Aria Pro II.  £200 is cutting it a bit fine.....good luck with your search.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Thanks ,

Recently I have seen these in my price range:

WASHBURN HB30
    Aria Pro II TA60 
    Ibanez AS50 /73

also seen a Westfield E7000 but looks a bit rubbish.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I had a Korean Tokai 335 copy several years back.  It didn't use the "correct" woods - it had a maple neck, and the centre block looked like something from the spruce/pine family not maple, but it was a very good guitar.  I preferred to a Gibson I played in the shop when I bought it - although that wasn't a particularly good Gibson.

I don't think they make them in Korea anymore, and it would be out of your budget new, but it would be a good option second hand if you can find one.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10362
    edited December 2013 tFB Trader
    My Artcores cost me £200 and £250 respectively

Fully hollow, beautiful necks ... Bigsbys that stay pretty much in tune (roller bridges). imageimage

The only shit things were the pickups ... but that was easily solved ... for me, obviously with Oil City pickups. On a budget you could use Irongear or Warman or similar.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
    edited December 2013
    Here it is... Sorry for lateness! I couldn't find the model when I first replied...

http://www.chasedirect.co.uk/guitars/electric-guitars/shine-sil-510tb-electric-guitar-translucent-black

By all accounts, they're okay stock, but for that money, just put the other £105 to upgrades.

Edit: I love @theguitarweasel ibanez ones, though.
    Yeah the stock buckers wernt for me so i stuck some wonderful cowtrons in , nice one Ash
    The Rivtron. :)
    Ooh fancy doing one of them up myself , looks ace.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    I sold my ES-60 for a nadger over £200
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • My Artcores cost me £200 and £250 respectively

Fully hollow, beautiful necks ... Bigsbys that stay pretty much in tune (roller bridges). imageimage

The only shit things were the pickups ... but that was easily solved ... for me, obviously with Oil City pickups. On a budget you could use Irongear or Warman or similar.
    Stunning.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    Aria Pro II, Ibanez or Epi 339 would by my considerations. The Shine is an option and you could jump in on upgrades straight away, but one of the other 3 may have what you want right out of the box.
  • The Hagstrom Viking Rextone I got off here is excellent
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Does it have to be a 335-alike?

Squier CV Telecaster Thinline. Tried one out a few weeks back and it's a very nice instrument indeed. Just need to find a pile of cash I'd left lying around but had completely forgotten about. Like all Squier CVs a lot of bang for your buck.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I've got a Washburn semi, and I think it's great. I bought it with upgraded pickups, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• plenty of used epi dots come up on gumtree for less than 200. but ya might want to change pickups (mine had already been changed)
    but if ya can stretch to epi 339 with coil split and lovely pelham blue ?
    not yet tried one as would prob end up buying one:-)
    good luck in your quest;-)
  • Not a recommendation, but I just had a promo email through from gear4music advertising this semi for £220.  It's one of their generic-branded SubZero imports, but I have to say, it looks the business in the photos.  Googling returns me nothing but stuff about SubZero amps, so could be a worthless pile of crud, but thought I'd pass the info along nonetheless.

New fangled trading feedback link right here!