Digitech Maplin power supply annoyance

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
Bought a power supply for my digitech expression factory today from Maplin as I'd lost the original. Now the pedal seems to show lights as if it's on but no sound is going through whether any model is on or not. I now don't know if its the power supply or the pedal, and I'm rather pissed off again at wasting money either on the pedal which i couldn't sell for toffee or another useless power supply. Grr
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    Did you get a 9VAC power supply not the much more common 9VDC type? The Expression Factory needs the Digitech PS0913B, which is AC.

If it's AC, is it rated for as much as 1.3A (1300mA) ?

If it's either DC or too low in current capability, it won't work although you may get partial operation (ie lights on).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Yeah i made sure of all that, I'm taking it back tomorrow
    edited December 2013
    Which one was it? There's only one I can see on their website which is both 9VAC and sufficient current rating, which is the 29W 9V one, Maplin code L53BR http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-29w-acac-fixed-voltage-9v-power-supply-l53br

It's actually quite likely that the unit doesn't draw quite as much current as claimed - many makers seem to exaggerate - so if anything I would suspect they've given you a DC one.

If it is that one I'd guess the pedal might be faulty. Just had a 'Jimi Hendrix' one in the shop that was...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's the one. The pedal worked fine before on the old supply, hardly used the thing. Oh well, take the psu back and chuck out the pedal. Thanks for your help
    edited December 2013
    Just a thought - if you get no sound at all in any mode (including bypass), it could be a jack issue and hence fairly easy to repair.

You don't use Planet Waves cables by any chance?

• No no i use Fender ones and a couple of other generic brands all of which worked with just the guitar alone. I'm not into repairing pedals so I'm just gonna flip it on. Thanks as always
    No problem :). I couldn't be bothered with looking at the broken Jimi one either. These things are almost never easy or economical to repair if the problem is anywhere among the surface-mount components on the PCB, and it's usually just a waste of time to even open it up to look… learnt the hard way several times ;).

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9710
    edited December 2013
    I have no skills so wouldn't know, i just know the £150 ive wasted but there you go, if you buy shit it ends shit
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13

The pedal is still worth a few quid even if its borked .

Perfect project box .

Flown the nest .
  • Sold it already, no use to me even as a project box as ive no skill or interest in diy, and i cant get a working psu to see if it is broken so have flipped it
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Digitech are one of companies that do not support independent repairers; I can get neither parts nor schematics from them.

I assume they must have a decent service department....