new amp kit : anyone experienced buiding one?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
edited January 2016 in Amps
Anyone tried a first time build? Who sells them? Looking at a v small home head or combo Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31573
    I've just built a WF-55 kit from Ampmaker. It sounds fabulous and Barry from Ampmaker is an incredibly helpful chap.

Other people had told me how supportive he is but he really goes above and beyond what you might expect.

The one I built is a Tweed Champ kit more or less except with a solid state rectifier, and the quality of the amp you end up with makes it an absolute bargain.
  • I built one of his SE5s several years back. Excellent kit, superb instructions and unparalleled service from Barry.

If you're doing a first time build you can't beat Ampmaker. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9609
    Definitely agree. I had an intermittent oscillation with my N5X, with a bit of help from Barry I'd located  and corrected the fault within five minutes.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Go to Ampmaker first. The kits are each rated for difficulty, all the instructions are online, and Barry is great.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Chalky;920235" said:
    Go to Ampmaker first. The kits are each rated for difficulty, all the instructions are online, and Barry is great.
    And when you've built that one DO NOT go anywhere near the Ceriatone website. You have been warned.......
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    There's also Modulus Amp Kits as sold by Mr @Modulus_Amps ;
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Amp maker are great.

Start with the WF-55. It's a great amp and can be very easily modded.
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    I'd vouch for the Ampmaker kits too: the instructions are first rate.

I think you can download the instructions from the Ampmaker website, so you can have a look at what are letting yourself in for.

Many of the other available kits are simply a set of parts and a layout / schematic, which will require a greater degree of skill.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2575
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the plug BigMonka.  I produce replica kits mostly or custom kits to order, I don't provide the level of instruction that Barry does at this time so his kits are aimed very nicely at the beginner builder. if you have some soldering experience then my kits are easy to build and I am in the UK to back up support if needed.

I am working on a Hiwatt DR504 replica 50w kit and a 18w TMB master volume kit for two clients right now.

cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

oh great, thanks to @Modulus_Amps I've now been on the website and working out if I've enough money to get a kit this month.

Well I need to loose weight so rather than spend money on food I'd prefer to have a new amp

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • derndern Frets: 357
    I just built a P1800 as a first build which wasn't the easiest thing in the world but the instructions are good and it worked out for me. Barry is very helpful to talk to and I found Michael at Modulus extremely helpful too and had some great advice.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 206
    I'm looking at this, and noticed the Modulus amp kit has 2 input jacks, whereas the Ampmaker wf-55 only has one ? 
    Will this make a big difference to the sound I can achieve from either ?
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1258
    +1 for Ampmaker from me. As others have said Barry is extremely helpful (in my case helping with the design of a home made chassis to for my SE5a to fit nicely into a scavenged cabinet) but the instructions (complete with lovely big clear pictures) are so good that for a standard build you’re unlikely to need any additional help.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    +1 for Mike at Modulus, always very helpful and quick to respond. 
    those are the two i'm looking at tbh (modulus & ampmaker). I have a cr@ppy old fender solid state amp that came free with a squier. might try to use that cabinet/chassis, and replace the speaker...
    Does anyone ever use the low gain input on a champ anyway ??
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    edited June 2018
    Now I've spent ages looking at the Ampmaker site.... really tempted to try one and the beginner's versions are quite appealing.

I might even have some wood in the shed I can use for a cabinet.  Or, could go the head only route and plug it into the H&K cabinet I already have.
    ok.. best you dont click on this link then.. ooops.. that's friday afternoon gone !

https://robrobinette.com/How_Amps_Work.htm
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141
    After browsing the website I like the Ampmaker P1800 but I wouldn't trust myself to build it! It would be awesome in a lunchbox size/style head.

Has there been a  show us your amp build thread? (I did the adv search but couldn't find) I'd love to see pictures of everyone's finished amp please
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    To get started on this kind of thing, is there a soldering kit that anyone could recommend? I'd like to see what else I would need to buy to actually stand a chance of building one.
    I saw a kit for £14.99 on amazon.. will that be ok does anyone know ?