Help with amp for a PRS DGT

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    DNH said:

I recently bought a 2009 PRS DGT Goldtop (from Majorscale, great bloke to deal with btw). It is a fabulous playing guitar and sounded superb both clean and overdriven through the LJ20 I tested it on.

Get the Lazy J 20.

Bad Cats aren't cheap.  If you are looking at Bad Cat money then you might as well get a Lazy J.

It will almost certainly make your Tele sound better as well.  My Tele sounds stunning through my Lazy J.

In the long run it may even save you money.  I went through at least 6 amps in 8 years or so before buying my Lazy J.  I haven't bought a proper amp since (around 8 years I think).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    That's al very well, but the real question is do you have a Carr Skylark for sale?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2016

Might be a silly suggestion but have you adjusted the pickups at all, wind the bass side down a bit and possibly raise the poles a touch. I have to say I didn't notice the DGT being particularly bassy, I eventually moved to an R8 as I wanted a thicker meatier sounds when my band went from 2 guitars down to just me. I used a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30, 59 Bassman RI and a JCM800 2203 when I had my DGT.

Failing that I would gladly swap your DGT pickups for a set of brigter ones. I have some nice pups here that would work :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I have a bad cat 15 and a TR sp22, which you are welcome to try if you want to play them at volume, I have a practice room in Leicester if that's any use?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    crunchman;922235" said:
    DNH said:

I recently bought a 2009 PRS DGT Goldtop (from Majorscale, great bloke to deal with btw). It is a fabulous playing guitar and sounded superb both clean and overdriven through the LJ20 I tested it on.

Get the Lazy J 20.

Bad Cats aren't cheap.  If you are looking at Bad Cat money then you might as well get a Lazy J.

It will almost certainly make your Tele sound better as well.  My Tele sounds stunning through my Lazy J.

In the long run it may even save you money.  I went through at least 6 amps in 8 years or so before buying my Lazy J.  I haven't bought a proper amp since (around 8 years I think).
    That's the exact route I'm taking, sod the little upgrade steps and years of buying and selling, the Lazy J will be my 4th amp and I'm "done".
  • DNHDNH Frets: 15
    edited January 2016
    Cheers for all the suggestions - never thought I'd get so many responses! Buying an LJ20 has crossed my mind as well - but I've been watching some YouTube videos of Grissom demonstrating his gear and how he adjusts the DGT to get different tones and gain levels from the guitar, and (sadly) I think I probably need to get to know the DGT better before I head out amp shopping. It is really quite different from my Tele and it might be that there are things I can adjust with the guitar and my playing style that will get me where I need to be.... and then I can go and out and buy an expensive new amp   :)

I'm going to take it to rehearsal tomorrow and crank up the Headstrong - everything sounds better loud right?
  • Cheapest solution surely would be an Eq pedal?
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited January 2016
    I find my DGT is very transparant and clear and should bring the most out of any decent amp!

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416
    What speakers are in the Headstrong? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    What speakers are in the Headstrong?

The speaker is a 12" Eminence Legend GB128. A different speaker might make a difference - but I love the Headstrong with my Tele so I'm not looking to mod it to suit the DGT.
  • I have two DGT's and a Black Cat 15, just perfect to me.
    I've sat today playing a Strat, Les Paul Standard, Tele and to me my aged Goldtop DGT just sounds perfect through the Badcat. None of the others sounded bad, there's just something about the DGT I love!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @woody has a ceriatone jtm for sale I believe?! Top top bloke too ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • jb1336jb1336 Frets: 64
    edited February 2016
    I have a Badcat Blackcat 15R Head, immaculate condition, in a live in flightcase, looking to flog if you're after one, it'd be a darn site cheaper than Coda (whom i bought it from) drop us a message if interested
  • SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    edited January 2017
    @DNH how did this play out?

I got an old Cornford Hurricane combo and that works much better with the dgt than my headstrong. That said my Tele and Headstrong amp is still very much my main rig, the DGT just comes out when I fancy something different.
  • Not remotely what you are looking for I'm sure, but I played a DGT through a rehearsal studio's ancient, beaten up Roland JC120 a while ago and I thought it was the sound of the gods.  If they weren't so preposterously heavy and my back wasn't so fragile I'd have bought the first one I could find.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2017
    If your Tele and your Headstrong work well and that's your main rig, I'd try what someone else suggested here and look at eq options.

The Xotic RC offers tone-shaping for cut and boost and if you liked a Tweed-flavour with the DGT, try the Catalinbread Formula 5FS. That may offer you the tone-shaping you require and if on low gain, the core tone you seek. These are much cheaper options.