Octavia recommendations please.

What's Hot
dandldandl Frets: 36
Evening All, Following on from my previous thread the EHX Ring Thing doesn't look like it will do what I'm after. Can anyone recommend me a reasonable Octavia type pedal that will work with other dirt pedals. Something like the octave function on the EQD Hoof Reaper. Thank you
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013

I had a DOD octave pedal, which was brilliant, I wish Is till had it. Worked fantastically with either guitar or bass.

I also has a Boss Octave OC-3 (I think) which was good, but not as good as the DOD sound wise.

The only draw back on the DOD was it was battery powered only. (I could be wrong its a few years ago).

On reading your other discussion, the Boss sounds like it'd fit the bill...

I've not tried one, but the POG and Micro POG get a lot of love, so are probably worth looking at.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• dandldandl Frets: 36
    edited August 2013
    Cheers Mike, Which DOD pedal was it? I've got a Micro Pog, and its a great pedal with some very interesting uses but it is far to polite to get that funny metallic clang I'm after. It's that whole front pickup tone rolled off a bit Hendrixesque sound I'm searching for.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    If you can find one the MXR 70th Anniversary Hendrix Octavia is a lot if fun. Not sure how available they are now as they were supposed to be limited editions last year (I got the Fuzz Face and Univibe but couldn't stretch to the Octavia as well :-( )
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

@dandl ; I'm not sure, as it was a few years ago. Possibly a DOD FX19, as that's stuck in my head, but I really couldn't be 100% on that.

I do miss that pedal though, plenty of low end carnage to be had.

Certainly when I had the Boss, the (to my ear) did what you're looking for.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Do you want an octaver, or an Octavia? Different things.

Octaver is a synthesised octave down (or two octaves down sometimes). Octavia is an octave-up fuzz.

There are a few which do both octave up and down - the best I've heard is the Foxrox Octron, the guitarist in my band has one and it's one of the best-sounding pedals I've ever heard, and it works extremely well with his other dirt pedals and amp distortion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers to everyone who's helped so far.

Not the DJ something along the lines of the MXR is what im after but i wondered if there was a slightly cheaper alternative.

Mike L i'll have to check out the DOD as it's not something im familiar with, but i do love a little youtube stroll now and again so ill check those out thanks.

ICBM, yep it's an Octavia that im after. Those Foxrox pedals look lovely, maybe im wrong but isn't the Octron more along the lines of the Micro Pog?

Cheers all!
    edited August 2013

dandl said:

ICBM, yep it's an Octavia that im after. Those Foxrox pedals look lovely, maybe im wrong but isn't the Octron more along the lines of the Micro Pog?
    No, the Octron is analogue.

The octave down is definitely clean(ish), but I can't remember for sure if the octave up has fuzz, and he uses so much other dirt that I can't tell when he's playing it :).

The Foxrox website says it uses germanium diodes though, so I suspect it is an Octavia-type circuit.

There's always the genuine article, too - the Roger Mayer Octavia.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    dandl said
    yep it's an Octavia that im after.
    I have a Velvet Vervet for sale which is an octave fuzz.  Great sound but I don't use it with the new band's material.

Read about it here, bottom of the page: 
    http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/effects.html

You can't get them any more.

£110 incl. postage

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    I use a voodoo labs proctavia great piece of kit
  • shadyshady Frets: 252

Visual Sounds V2 Angry Octave Fuzz is another one for about the £100 mark.  Also, although a bit overkill if it's just for the octave up, an EHX Microsynth plays nice with other dirt pedals for that sound.  I have a big box version and it's great into my fuzz for that metallic clang you mentioned.

Thanks everyone. I think the Velvet Vervet is a bit too much for what I'm looking for as it's an occasional effect not something I'd have on all the time. All the others look interesting I'll check them out. I do fancy a micro synth they look lovely :) The only problem is my pedal board is running out of space. Between one of those and my graphic fuzz I'd probably need a dedicated board just to house them :P
    The Micro Synth is truly great though, and so much more than an octave fuzz - I had one and stupidly sold it to a friend who really wanted it at the time, and when I asked if he still had it a couple of years later he'd sold it on. It was one of the earlier sheet-metal box reissues, and I genuinely think they sound better than the newer small diecast ones - I tried one of those and thought it didn't sound as fat and analogue-y (even though I'm pretty sure it still is). The sheet-metal box one was a truly terrible tone-sucker though, one of the only pedals I've ever true-bypassed because I just couldn't stand it. For some bizarre reason it came stock with a 3PDT switch, but with only one pole used! So modding it was very easy. I even changed the LED to a bi-colour red-green one for power/effect as well. I should probably look for another one really.

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    I use a voodoo labs proctavia great piece of kit
    Me too. Its pretty good at it and easy to dial in as well. Just need to get your guitars Volume control set right to get the most out of it.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

Hmmmm your making me want a Micro Synth even more now, aargh! 

The Proctavia does sound good in all the demos I've heard, does it stack nicely with other dirt boxes.

I've got one of these 

It's a brilliant pedal but I just wish you could use the octave independently to the fuzz, if you could I'd be a happy man! I'm also wondering whether a Green Ringer clone may be a good bet?
    What the hell happened to the above. Sorry all!

Ok, I think it's quite obvious that this forum and iPads are causing me a massive headache  :(