Phase 90 Vs Phase 90

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

As I've said before my go to F/X pedal is phase, so I have 2 phase 90s. One a Script logo, one a block logo.

Here's my observations of the differences

The block logo (BL) has a slightly faster sweep across the range, on like-for-like settings

BL has a slightly darker overall tone.

Both have a wide range of sounds, from a very subtle (almost a chorus sound) to ridiculous (very wobbly).

Script logo (SL) has a much more usable sweep, from 0 - 75% roughly, before things get silly, BL gets silly at around 70%

At around 50% the SL give a nice vocal sound, with a nice chewiness to it, at the same the BL with the slightly faster sweep, isn't quite so chewy.

The SL is very even across the strings, whereas the BL has a little unevenness.

Using a similar setting in a gig/live situation would you notice the difference, probably not, but then I doubt any punters would notice the difference either (even the guitar players).

Overall the SL wins, but both are very good

Would I recommend one, yep. Script for home/studio use, Block for live....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited August 2013
    Do you think these are really circuit differences, or individual pedal variations caused by component tolerances?

I really don't know! But it wouldn't surprise me if the reissues were just the same thing in different boxes, because that's the sort of thing companies do...

[/cynic]

I've owned originals of both, but not at even close to the same time so I couldn't say if they're really different either. They sounded the same to me as far as I could tell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Good summary. 

I've been through a few versions as well. Had the Block first but found it quite over powering with the band, so I went for the Script. Not sure why but I sold to that some bloke back on MR ;-)

I had the EVH version as well, not sure why I sold that either as it have best of both worlds. 

These days I'm using the Whirlwind Orange Box, so essentially a Script re-issue, and bloody lovely it is too. 

I've also got the cheapo Mooer, which is great. The difference between the two modes isn't quite as big as on the EVH (from memory, I've not AB'd them). Still it's nothing anyone in the pubs I play is ever going to notice. 

All in all a great FX. I think I'll always have some version of it on my board. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2013

The Script is a few years old  (I got it from Not_the_Dj*) a couple of years ago. It does exactly what I want in a phase pedal (Remembering Dave Murray is one of my favourite players), so it does the "NOTB" intro or "Children of the Damned" intro lead perfectly (even if I don't)...

The BL is brand new (as in a week old).

The test was back-to-back using my Charvel, and DSL.

I'm not clever enough with electronics to know the differences between the circuits, or what components do what, just some basic observations between the two pedals (to my ear). They were definitely different, but not so much that you couldn't substitute a new version for live use and keep the older one for home/studio use.

The test was done at home/bedroom levels rather than gig volumes.

Hopefully I'll be able to do a louder comparison test in a couple of weeks.

* posted before I saw NTDJ's post

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I should add, the script was slightly better for chords/rhythm playing than the block. I figure it was better due to the slightly slower sweep.

If I said there was 10% difference between them I'd be vastly over estimating. It's more like 1%.

And @not_the_dj, ; best pedal ever (IMO) :-)  :-)  (is there a smiley for a huge massive grin every time I switch it on?)

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited August 2013
    I though they both sounded terrible the other day Mike :P

There was a massive volume drop when engaging each pedal hehe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

@photek, that's cos some dumbass connected them the wrong way round (D'oh)

They sound lovely when connected correctly!!!!

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I do love the whirlwind orange box myself - I'm not selling the current one ;)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Haha I didn't even notice that, shows how much we were paying attention.

I would like to try them out next time we catch up. I had the Mooer one recently but wasn't using it enough to justify and the Phase in the Zoom G3 is pretty good as well.
    I'll bring 'em next time, and try to connect them correctly :-)