Looking for a cheap strat - Update!

What's Hot
paulkpaulk Frets: 318
edited December 2013 in Guitar
I'm on the hunt for a cheapish strat - preferably not more than around 350 euros, though I can stretch it a bit. I've been looking at the Squier CV 50's/60's but also stumbled upon the Vintage V6 and V6 Icon series which also seem interesting (rubbish finishing aside on the Icons)

I'll be buying online in this instance (moving around crazily with work these next few weeks).

What sayeth the peanut gallery about the aforementioned instruments? Anyone have experience of both and able to do an A/B comparison?
I don't mind having to swap out wiring/pots or change a nut but would prefer to get as much of it 'right' out of the box.

All advice appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    Get yourself an old Tokai. End of story!
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2926
    I've got a MiM Roadhouse, fantastic player and has Texas Specials as standard, worth keeping an eye out for.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10343
    tFB Trader
    I just bought a 60s style vintage modified Squier ... cant believe the quality ... easily up with Mex Fender. Insanely I got it for 95 quid in perfect nick off the flea bay, hardly played. In fairness it could do with a steel bridge block eventually ... an for my taste ... a little more in the way of clangy lows from the pickups ... but brilliant all the same.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    I have a CV tele,   uber good for the ££ 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a (mostly) CV strat, it's my third or fourth now - they're brilliant quality, and the price can't really be beaten - particularly used. @Hymnal's Blade is mighty tempting at £210 though!!!
  • Have a look at the Burns cobras too. 
  • bertie said:
    I have a CV tele,   uber good for the ££ 
    Me too. I bought mine with a view to upgrading some parts, but it's so lovely as it is. I have the tobacco burst rosewood board one, but I'd quite like to fit a maple neck to it. The stock pups are very nice. 
  • Not sure how often these appear outside the UK but FretKings are good value second hand. Depreciate like crazy and outside your budget new anyway but I really like them.

A Squier Simon Neil strat is 392 euros on Thomann. It usually gets glowing reviews, the signature element is tiny and the pups are an upgrade over the standard CV's. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325

get the blade.

I have owned a bunch of strats ranging from tokais, to warmoth/mighty mite, to fender (jap and USA).  The blades are by far the best of the bunch imo.

• gilbygilby Frets: 176
    What he said. The Blade is a steal at that money.
  • Get that blade!

If not, how about a total bargain, USA made strat? 

I saw one of these in a cash converters and it was a pretty nice guitar - nicer than the price tag suggests! Only thing I'd change is to roll the fingerboard, but I don't think Squier guitars have that... They are like the T60 I think - USA made but basic in construction.  Still, USA cool for a budget :) 
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    gilby said:
    What he said. The Blade is a steal at that money.
    Hmmm. I know absolutely zilch about these. What makes them good?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited December 2013
    Deadman said:
    Get yourself an old Tokai. End of story!
    good call

Not sure how often these appear outside the UK but FretKings are good value second hand. Depreciate like crazy and outside your budget new anyway but I really like them.

Actually they should be more or less within budget, even new- I've seen some good deals on (new/new old stock) fret kings from guitar shops on ebay recently. IIRC I saw the blue label one for £315 new. Obviously I haven't seen them so don't know what condition they're in, but assuming they genuinely are "new" condition, that's going to be hard to beat. I have the p90/s/s one and it's pretty nice. Certainly for ~£300- gotoh/wilkinson trem, gotoh locking tuners, etc.

Not sure if they post outside the UK, though, that might be the slight spanner in the works.
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I'm based in The Netherlands and getting stuff from the UK in the past has been pretty straightforward. Anyone have any opinions on the Vintage V6? They're stupid cheap here and seem to get decent reviews in the mags, plus the Wilkinson hardware seems solid. Wondering if the body and neck are just firewood though.
  • I would go for a roadhouse or a classic player strat. Both are well within your price range second hand
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • paulk;97130" said:
    I'm based in The Netherlands and getting stuff from the UK in the past has been pretty straightforward. Anyone have any opinions on the Vintage V6? They're stupid cheap here and seem to get decent reviews in the mags, plus the Wilkinson hardware seems solid. Wondering if the body and neck are just firewood though.
    Off Trev Wilkinson's design bench like the FretKings but the FK's represent a step up. However, the Thomas Blug variant of the V6 has a bit more mojo and a noise cancelling dummy coil.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  •   I can vouch for the squier Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series.  Brilliant instruments for not a lot of money.

I have a CV Tele- the tobacco burst w/rosewood one, and it's among my favorites.  Plays very well, stays in tune, and it sounds great!  Acoustically, it's very resonant.

I also just got a Vintage Modified 50's Strat in surf green with lipstick pickups ( Duncan designed)  This is also a flawless guitar, and I love the way those lipsticks sound.  The trem is curiously stiff- it takes a lot of effort to move it,  ( same thing with my Affinity)  Is there a way to adjust the resistance on these?

Both were appx $300 US.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    paulk;97130" said:
    Off Trev Wilkinson's design bench like the FretKings but the FK's represent a step up.
    I haven't tried the V6 but i'd suspect that's true. I'd say the Fretking (blue label) is a step up from the old vintage advance range, which I have tried, and I think they were meant to be a step-up from the V6.
  • GruGru Frets: 339
    I've had a Fret King Blue label Tele and for the price it was stunning. Ash body, see through blonde, beautiful satin/matt neck, flawless finish/frets. Rw finger board. 3 single coils, great tuners. I personally didn't gel with it at home, as I couldn't create the sound I got from the shop (user error I guess). And sadly moved it on, but still have a few photos on the pc to reminisce.